What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - 4th May - New Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81858 (04.05.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i've never used sc. would you help me understand:
  1. why you limit the 2.4 g radio to 20 and the 5g to 80 instead of the defaults?
  2. is 153 a non dfs channel?
  3. in general, why one should use sc?
been running fine without it disabled but if it helps , i'll adjust.
thanks

1. The 2.4 signal travels off-site and can interfere with off-site signals. Limiting the bandwidth to 20 MHz is a courtesy to others to limit radio frequency spectrum usage to share the spectrum with others. Reducing the bandwidth reduces the data capacity in time (speed) but that's ok... I have enough speed for my 2.4 clients.

If there is no other 2.4 WiFi around you, max out your bandwidth for the most throughput.

I force 5.0 to max bandwidth of 80 MHz to keep it there no matter what.

Knowing how your clients are connected can help you to interpret their behaviors with less variables in play and with more certainty.

2. My router Wireless Log lists these 5.o GHz channels:
Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 149 A Band
Channel 153 A Band
Channel 157 A Band
Channel 161 A Band
Channel 165 A Band

I believe DFS allows WiFi to use radar channels 52 to 140. So, 153 could be considered a non-DFS channel.

If you use a radar sensitive channel, and DFS senses radar and decides to change channels, your clients my notice.

3. Smart Connect encourages a wireless client to connect to the better band/SSID when both bands advertise identical SSIDs. You would use SC if you want to use same SSIDs, configure your client for only one connection/SSID, and have that connection 'magically' connect to the best band/signal/SSID for various roaming locations/distances. Plus, configuring for and broadcasting only one SSID name is more sexy, if it works, and if you don't need to segregate clients to a particular band/WLAN.

OE

Last edited:
I leave 5GHz to Auto myself and not just 80, works well...

i've never used sc. would you help me understand:
  1. why you limit the 2.4 g radio to 20 and the 5g to 80 instead of the defaults?
  2. is 153 a non dfs channel?
  3. in general, why one should use sc?
been running fine without it disabled but if it helps , i'll adjust. btw, i use different ssids for each radio. perhaps that's why it would not be useful for me.
thanks
1. Limit 2.4 to 20 Mhz because 40 Mhz spreads across too many channels and causes interference. Also use channel 1, 6 or 11 depending on neighborhood wifi congestion.
2. Non DFS ch 36-48, 149-161
3. I was not sold on SmaartConnect until the early April release for the AC86U. That release was pulled back for some reason but several of us kept using it anyway. I found that with the dual band SmartConnect enabled with the same SSID for both bands that my clients seemed to be happy. By that I mean they performed very well. My Roku sometimes ends up on the 2.4 band but still streams online content and from my NAS with no buffering. OK, so I don't give a hoot about ping. But my wife, daughter and myself can stream video at the same time no problem. I have also worked outside with the iPod and have maintained streaming 200 ft from the house!
It would be great if DoT were built into Asus like Merlin and John's Fork but there are other ways to enable DNS security.

1. Limit 2.4 to 20 Mhz because 40 Mhz spreads across too many channels and causes interference. Also use channel 1, 6 or 11 depending on neighborhood wifi congestion.
3. I was not sold on SmaartConnect until the early April release for the AC86U. That release was pulled back for some reason but several of us kept using it anyway. I found that with the dual band SmartConnect enabled with the same SSID for both bands that my clients seemed to be happy. By that I mean they performed very well. My Roku sometimes ends up on the 2.4 band but still streams online content and from my NAS with no buffering. OK, so I don't give a hoot about ping. But my wife, daughter and myself can stream video at the same time no problem. I have also worked outside with the iPod and have maintained streaming 200 ft from the house!
It would be great if DoT were built into Asus like Merlin and John's Fork but there are other ways to enable DNS security.
much appreciated. i too could care less about a ping. we have several tv's and at least 2 are always streaming. my only issue is wiht a lacrosse weather device that constantly gets wlcevents. i just put up with it and am happy with the overall phenomenal performance of the 86u!
is there any advantage to using 1 ssid for both frequencies? if not, i may stay the course since 81858 is so stable?
i've also read read that disabling samba is helpful. may try that later but i thought it was necessary to "see" my network shares on networked 'puters. i'll play with that later.

thanks

Your Roku: Did you consider Wireless - Wireless MAC Filter so it gets rejected on 2.4GHz? Took me a while but I put my stationary clients and some where I know 5GHz works best (Apple TV, Amazon Echo, notebooks) on the reject list and this works really well...

Your Roku: Did you consider Wireless - Wireless MAC Filter so it gets rejected on 2.4GHz? Took me a while but I put my stationary clients and some where I know 5GHz works best (Apple TV, Amazon Echo, notebooks) on the reject list and this works really well...
Tried the wireless MAC filter and it worked. But the way I have it now the Roku and Dish boxes all have switched to the 5 GHZ. I don't use static IP's. Let the DHCP server assign addresses to all devices but do have several (printer, NAS, Cam server) on Manual Assignment in the LAN - DHCP Server area. As I've said before, my goal is to make this as simple as possible if, for some reason, something happens to me. Old guys need to be careful these days... Tonight is bad as I had an eye exam this afternoon and things are still blurry. Can't wait for the cataract surgery!
Getting old is not for the faint of heart...

Tried the wireless MAC filter and it worked. But the way I have it now the Roku and Dish boxes all have switched to the 5 GHZ. I don't use static IP's. Let the DHCP server assign addresses to all devices but do have several (printer, NAS, Cam server) on Manual Assignment in the LAN - DHCP Server area. As I've said before, my goal is to make this as simple as possible if, for some reason, something happens to me. Old guys need to be careful these days... Tonight is bad as I had an eye exam this afternoon and things are still blurry. Can't wait for the cataract surgery!
Getting old is not for the faint of heart...

What works best for me with printers for example, I set them to DHCP first, then in the router Network Map > Clients > Client Status, I click on the client, printer for example and simply bind MAC to IP Address, that way the IP never changes and the configuration
is manual so basically static, then I set the TCP/IP Boot method to Static in the printer menu so when the printer re-boots its still the same IP...
fQIYoJkHGspAy7GQNEpcFHa6cciO5ZyxNONlIJMSwl8u1qMpewDRw3YTzbxKrnbHxQJinP0fxzIrIO5BBW-9-xoVYWH4Op9oC0lmbFmI-sRPcmsAUnUL128wTRAIgqTSc0bDxJQmtbBle2JLLO47VpLoQRC0RSkBYelOBOrPWAZMBynn7Jw3tV6EgWUzhMxDh7-QuyQXGLjBDzQ_1Kt3fVDVkVwP3ClVm4l-_FNKgPJMbEj5Ul0LjQqGUNKTUtrDlCBCMgKe02-EQcse49mE4VML91I-2zsYFs5O-W-h8_NlBcOcXy0DGtvoizaQHQBuKNC6Zi138DP-f8Fa2IXJjGPjF6fOm14xsLg1xeIe2sAJTJzc9tucLrz8H0h8F2_dnl1LJB2fAE4CiTf_9ptRj-NTY8cES6PjaB0jrNrW-_OA2mXkKuKfnwIWnt0yIEUvIKJxkpUT_kr8UlxCeKDD4NP26fBu562GTdYDgJYEBVd1Fx7MFEPs10txYx0N5Ss624S5llYYm-GnzC42ngiPAz9EyMnxxDktb8JI51jhdVTUbNYOMndGIM6E3K2XqEXN36uLVaoX5baETGuFukYYvVMCzfS92-x5TlWvLDyvLp9gZbdclMhDu8POpFKQE9w4aLnmYwYsL33mt08iUGMkwtn3FCT4uudUTQKE5WnId4Iv0tjZero_-YWZ3TE42Q=w345-h272-no

What works best for me with printers for example, I set them to DHCP first, then in the router Network Map > Clients > Client Status, I click on the client, printer for example and simply bind MAC to IP Address, that way the IP never changes and the configuration
is manual so basically static, then I set the TCP/IP Boot method to Static in the printer menu so when the printer re-boots its still the same IP...
fQIYoJkHGspAy7GQNEpcFHa6cciO5ZyxNONlIJMSwl8u1qMpewDRw3YTzbxKrnbHxQJinP0fxzIrIO5BBW-9-xoVYWH4Op9oC0lmbFmI-sRPcmsAUnUL128wTRAIgqTSc0bDxJQmtbBle2JLLO47VpLoQRC0RSkBYelOBOrPWAZMBynn7Jw3tV6EgWUzhMxDh7-QuyQXGLjBDzQ_1Kt3fVDVkVwP3ClVm4l-_FNKgPJMbEj5Ul0LjQqGUNKTUtrDlCBCMgKe02-EQcse49mE4VML91I-2zsYFs5O-W-h8_NlBcOcXy0DGtvoizaQHQBuKNC6Zi138DP-f8Fa2IXJjGPjF6fOm14xsLg1xeIe2sAJTJzc9tucLrz8H0h8F2_dnl1LJB2fAE4CiTf_9ptRj-NTY8cES6PjaB0jrNrW-_OA2mXkKuKfnwIWnt0yIEUvIKJxkpUT_kr8UlxCeKDD4NP26fBu562GTdYDgJYEBVd1Fx7MFEPs10txYx0N5Ss624S5llYYm-GnzC42ngiPAz9EyMnxxDktb8JI51jhdVTUbNYOMndGIM6E3K2XqEXN36uLVaoX5baETGuFukYYvVMCzfS92-x5TlWvLDyvLp9gZbdclMhDu8POpFKQE9w4aLnmYwYsL33mt08iUGMkwtn3FCT4uudUTQKE5WnId4Iv0tjZero_-YWZ3TE42Q=w345-h272-no

If the printer permits it, set a static IP on the printer... I use 192.168.1.2... and then install the printer driver. This will stick when the router configuration doesn't. And enable network discovery on Windows, of course.

OE

I tested a lot and in my case mostly my internet is utterly bad because its jumping most of the time so its not that much of a router fault . The setup process of this router is really messy and without "nuclear resets" often is not working at intended but in my case internet plays the biggest bad part not the router.

I tested a lot and in my case mostly my internet is utterly bad because its jumping most of the time so its not that much of a router fault . The setup process of this router is really messy and without "nuclear resets" often is not working at intended but in my case internet plays the biggest bad part not the router.

The WAN equipment/service being unstable makes more sense.

I've never done a 'nuclear reset'. A simple reset w/initialization always works for me, if required by a significant change in firmware code/features... or by firmware-in-development like AiMesh has been. AiMesh has been a different experience, but it's been worth it for me and provides a viable path forward, imo.

OE

Is it worth upgrading from 45717? :)
In a word, YES! Might not change you but your network will be happy. I also recommend trying the Dual Band Smart Connect with fixed channels. Also may be best to do a factory reset and reconfigure although my upgrade has worked well.

In a word, YES! Might not change you but your network will be happy. I also recommend trying the Dual Band Smart Connect with fixed channels. Also may be best to do a factory reset and reconfigure although my upgrade has worked well.
Yeah I've done that working well so far cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!