What's new

Release ASUS RT AC86u Firmware - 3.0.0.4.384_81992-gdc7a780

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

well dunno exactly what i did but its all up and running again! let's see how it is with 81858, cheers

Mine is not the best test for AiMesh since my one node is in the garage (low use). That said, I've experienced some 2.4 disconnects out in the yard on that side of the AiMesh. And this weekend while working in the garage, my 2.4 client saw a variable 2.4 signal, and even when it looked good and connected, it didn't work well. Then my 2.4 backhaul dropped. And at one point the node dropped offline... more than once.

I completely rebuilt the AiMesh from scratch after first refreshing just the node. Same issues persisted. I began to think my second 2018 China 86U was failing and did some shopping around before pausing to rethink the problem. The earlier yard disconnects on the garage node suggested a possible firmware issue I did not suffer enough earlier.

I reviewed previous firmware discussions and found similar WiFi issues reported for build 81918... I started looking there and stopped looking there.

So, I have downgraded from 81992 to 81858 and appear to have stable WiFi again on my node... I can feel it!

So, heads up!

Footnote: After downgrading the firmware, the webUI login could not be satisfied and invoked the Captcha and never could be satisfied no matter the login credentials used. So, you must reset at that point and then you can proceed. I proceeded through the Quick Setup to use the webUI reset with Initialize to reset again before configuring the router... the belt and suspenders approach. (Explained here.)

OE
good post on your 2.4 band with aimesh. a few days after it was posted, i took the 992 dive. i don't do aimesh and it's been pretty stable EXCEPT for some strange behavior with my ecobee thermostats. i've had them for several months now and they are fairly stable but after 992, they both have randomly lost/dropped connections at least twice now. 2.4 is not used for streaming, so it may even be worse but should it become a pia, i'll go ahead and backlevel. reading your post got me thinking that my drops may not be a personal problem after all :)

that said, the way asus has been putting out of late, it may get all better with the next release.

that said, the way asus has been putting out of late, it may get all better with the next release.

Yes, I think the pandemic and their national discipline may have them locked down and coding away on their keyboards. The forthcoming AiMesh 2.0 is promising.

OE

What's with this please as I had a flurry of them late at night?

Jul 28 23:13:21 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth6: Disassoc 4C:4E:03:CE:DD:D9, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)

What's with this please as I had a flurry of them late at night?

Jul 28 23:13:21 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth6: Disassoc 4C:4E:03:CE:DD:D9, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)

I suspect that is a mobile client roaming around or shutting down. The MAC address will tell you which client it is... TCT Mobile Ltd?

OE

I suspect that is a mobile client roaming around or shutting down. The MAC address will tell you which client it is... TCT Mobile Ltd?

OE
So it's fine to shut down? I am thinking it's not the router forcing the issue in error? Yes I have a TCT. Cheers, just paranoid that I have dodgy equipment all the time since I am pretty new to Asus.

So it's fine to shut down? I am thinking it's not the router forcing the issue in error? Yes I have a TCT. Cheers, just paranoid that I have dodgy equipment all the time since I am pretty new to Asus.

Clients do what clients do. For whatever reason, the client disconnected... left.

Ignore those log entries unless you are troubleshooting a client connection issue.

Get familiar with the log and then ignore it unless you are troubleshooting an issue. The log is not very user friendly.

OE

With this firmware after about 2 weeks I noticed a significant delay starting loading web pages. Not noticeable on speedtests. Restart solved the problem.

This model is known to become buggy over time hard to believe they will manage to fix it.
Can't confirm that, mine works great. I reboot once a month just so because RAM fills up but not sure if required...

There is 3.0.0.4.384.9566 for ax88u update dated as 2020/08/03 on asus website following fixes are interesting to me cuz i use static wan connection. Is it comming to 86u?

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.9566
- Fixed static IP WAN connection issues.
- Fixed wan link aggregation stability issues.

There is 3.0.0.4.384.9566 for ax88u update dated as 2020/08/03 on asus website following fixes are interesting to me cuz i use static wan connection. Is it comming to 86u?

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.9566
- Fixed static IP WAN connection issues.
- Fixed wan link aggregation stability issues.
Don't think the AC86U has a problem with static wan

I was thinking to upgrade my 68u to this model 86u so I can enjoy faster VPN but after reading in here I'm not sure if this will be considered an upgrade?
Are the new ones for sale in Amazon still unreliable?

ime, save yourself the agony and don't bother with the 86U

I have a 2019 model and its been rock solid on latest asus stock going on 34 days without any issues..so its not all doom and gloom.
well good for you. i also have a 2019 86U, it has not been "rock-solid" at all. judging by the feedback in this and other forums, many others also experience various ongoing bugs & problems with this router. you got lucky.

2019 86U.jpg

Many, many RT-AC86U's used by customers (and I had one myself). Rock-solid for the vast majority is a fair assessment.

The vocal few that do have issues just skew that perception.

Many, many RT-AC86U's used by customers (and I had one myself). Rock-solid for the vast majority is a fair assessment.

The vocal few that do have issues just skew that perception.

I had two die completely (half lit LAN LED 4) at ~2 years of service... both 2018 from China. The first one as router had a symptom of not being able to resolve/reach websites... that lasted about two weeks. The second one as remote node may have had a symptom of intermittently poor 2.4 WiFi connectivity that I attributed to 81992 earlier in this thread... that lasted about two weeks.

I'm convinced that early batches of 86Us have a manufacturing defect. I'm not convinced that later 86Us have this.

Since my erector set network of retired media bridge with AP or repeater leaves much to be desired in comparison to AiMesh 1.0... I have ordered another 86U from B&H today... best price I could find, free expedited shipping, and no tax... so that I can continue with AiMesh 2.0, maintain ready backup hardware, and hopefully retain a couple matching AC nodes for use with a future WiFi 6e router... and have something fun to do in lockdown!

OE

Last edited: