What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384.45149 12/05/2018

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that you're not setting up your equipment properly. If you're using it as a repeater, it cannot connect to Channel 36 to negotiate with a router that is on Channel 153. Impossible.
There is no way to set channel in repeater mode. It is automatic.

There is no way to set channel in repeater mode. It is automatic.

I know that, but that is not what I understand your previous post to be saying. ;)

After two hours, restart some devices wifi, no ip, stop working again. I tried router and ap modes, both are fine. Absolutely some thing in ac86u repeater mode. Just uses it as AP with cheap wifi extender for now. Very frustrating!

i also downgraded fw to 384.21140. For now is ok. 45149 is usless for me

Hi,

I didn't think that would work on the 86U as it automatically updates to the latest firmware?

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that ASUS force the latest firmware on this router?

Someone let me know as I also own this same router currently.

Hi,

I didn't think that would work on the 86U as it automatically updates to the latest firmware?

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that ASUS force the latest firmware on this router?

Someone let me know as I also own this same router currently.

You have the wrong impression. The 86U does not auto-update its firmware.

OE

You have the wrong impression. The 86U does not auto-update its firmware.

OE

Many thanks,

Oh thank goodness for that. I have seen it mentioned in a few forums around the web and it had me concerned. - - How comes some are suggesting it does auto firmware updates?

Does anyone know what the most stable version of FW is for the 86U. I see a few people either held onto or downgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.384.21140 - 2018/07/10 - 60.31 MBytes

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I am currently using Merlins 384.8_2 > I know this doesn't auto update for sure. Auto update scares me! (As I am sure as you can tell)

Depends on what features you have enabled, in particular, there is a bug in AiProtection in 45149 that's causing issues for some people. 45149 also has a bug that is causing wifi assoc/disassoc message to show in the log all the time. It can pollute the log badly if there is a nearby, unconnected device that is constantly talking to every router in the area. Otherwise 45149 has been fine, at least for me. A few weeks ago, I switched all four of my routers over to Merlin 384.9, and that's been fine too. I'll switch to 384.10 when it gets out of beta.

Depends on what features you have enabled, in particular, there is a bug in AiProtection in 45149 that's causing issues for some people. 45149 also has a bug that is causing wifi assoc/disassoc message to show in the log all the time. It can pollute the log badly if there is a nearby, unconnected device that is constantly talking to every router in the area. Otherwise 45149 has been fine, at least for me. A few weeks ago, I switched all four of my routers over to Merlin 384.9, and that's been fine too. I'll switch to 384.10 when it gets out of beta.

Thanks,

So for example if I downgraded to say 3.0.0.4.384.21140 - The RT-AC86U router would not auto update back to the latest? It would be down to me to make the next move either by updating manually or leaving it?

Thanks,

So for example if I downgraded to say 3.0.0.4.384.21140 - The RT-AC86U router would not auto update back to the latest? It would be down to me to make the next move either by updating manually or leaving it?

Correct.

Asus has never auto updated any of their routers, afaik.

I would stop reading those threads/posts that say otherwise. ;)

A few specific models do, like the GT-AX11000. I believe the RT-AC68A used to as well.

A few specific models do, like the GT-AX11000. I believe the RT-AC68A used to as well.

I am surprised! That is something I will be checking on when recommending routers going forward. Thank you.

Regarding the ac86u repeater mode, I just found out that only first four clients are allowed to connect. The fifth and more cannot connect to the router. Both Merlin and Asus latest firmwares are the same.

Many thanks,

Oh thank goodness for that. I have seen it mentioned in a few forums around the web and it had me concerned. - - How comes some are suggesting it does auto firmware updates?

Does anyone know what the most stable version of FW is for the 86U. I see a few people either held onto or downgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.384.21140 - 2018/07/10 - 60.31 MBytes

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I am currently using Merlins 384.8_2 > I know this doesn't auto update for sure. Auto update scares me! (As I am sure as you can tell)

Sometimes a firmware at some time may auto-update for some reason, but that is not the norm unless noted otherwise. The 86U has never auto-updated to my knowledge.

I would use the latest stock 86U firmware 45149 and do not enable any of the Trend Micro features (Administration/Privacy/Withdraw) until they fix that engine. If that doesn't suit you, 21140 probably will but it does not have the latest security fixes and improvements.

Be sure to reset after changing the firmware and before manually configuring the router.

OE

Correct.

I would stop reading those threads/posts that say otherwise. ;)

The first couple FW releases for my AC86U that I bought in Jan 2018 automatically updated. ASUS disabled auto update for that router after that.

Exactly so - the January and February 2018 firmwares of the RT-AC86U autoupdated, and I even remember RMerlin being quite opposed to the idea.

Glad they got rid of it. Scares the heck out of me when it comes to networking and forced updates.

Who forced updates on you that it hurt your psyche so much?

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!