What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384.45149 12/05/2018

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My notebook is always on and near the router with strong signal so I don't know why it disconnects and reconnects with the same hour or one second apart.

My notebook is always on and near the router with strong signal so I don't know why it disconnects and reconnects with the same hour or one second apart.
How old is the wireless driver? Have you enabled/disabled some items in the wireless/professional and find what's causing the wireless to disconnect/connect at an abnormal rate? Is "Enable WMM No-acknowledgement" enabled? I found that option creates instability with the wireless connections in our network.

Look in the wireless log and sort by connected time. You can see that the devices from the system log are indeed disconnecting and reconnecting. I have many different devices spamming in the sys log. It has nothing to do with any devices driver. Seems like a whole lot of instability.

Hello all, ever since I updated to this new firmware, for reasons that are unknown to me my pureVPN openClient profile setup via the router will not work any more. (PPTP does)

Now I understand that this is not a firmware fault, but probably more likely pureVPN not keeping up with the bios update and hence the setup tutorial does not work any more as a step is perhaps not relevant or something, who knows! lol

I am just wondering, has anyone here successfully setup an openVPN profile for pureVPN successfully with this firmware? And if so would you be willing to share?

Thanking you in advance!

Cheers Mark

How old is the wireless driver? Have you enabled/disabled some items in the wireless/professional and find what's causing the wireless to disconnect/connect at an abnormal rate? Is "Enable WMM No-acknowledgement" enabled? I found that option creates instability with the wireless connections in our network.

The most recent driver is from 09/2017. Tried with two older versions with same results. WMM No-acknowledgement is disabled. Did not try changing settings. Any suggestion on items to change?

The most recent driver is from 09/2017. Tried with two older versions with same results. WMM No-acknowledgement is disabled. Did not try changing settings. Any suggestion on items to change?
The usual recommended to be disabled are the following.
a. Airtime Fairness
b. Universal beamforming

There might be some more features for 86U that you can disable just try until you get the best options right for your environment.
In addition, check the wireless client's energy power saver properties and see if you can tweak there.

Last edited:
4.1.27 has nothing to do with drivers, it's simply the kernel version used by the firmware.

The "tainted" string simply indicates that the kernel contains non-GPL drivers.
Sorry, the last kernel I built for Linux was 2.x... :) I've been a windows guy now... is tainted message a driver crash then? or a protected memory crash? In windows I can tell by the call stack generally a heap or stack crash, basic protection and driver crashes. What's your call?

is tainted message a driver crash then? or a protected memory crash? In windows I can tell by the call stack generally a heap or stack crash, basic protection and driver crashes. What's your call?

Please re-read my explanation:

The crash occurred with the "dcd" application, which has nothing at all to do with the kernel. It's also a known issue by Asus specific to that firmware and model.

All this is my PS4 logging constantly! How do I stop this? GT-AC-5300, of course the xx is the ip address, any ideas? its every 2 seconds. The PS4 is connect wireless NOT LAN.

WLCEVENTD: eth8: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
WLCEVENTD: eth8: Assoc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:

CC

Do you have more than one wireless router in your network? Do you have Roaming Assist enabled? If yes to the latter, what's the signal strength of your PS4 as indicated by your AC5300 (look in the wireless log for that info)?

Do you have more than one wireless router in your network? Do you have Roaming Assist enabled? If yes to the latter, what's the signal strength of your PS4 as indicated by your AC5300 (look in the wireless log for that info)?

To add some thoughts...

Yes, is there overlapping WiFi? Is the overlap at the stationary PS4 competing for the connection? Can you relocate the router(s) or the PS4 or wire the PS4 to end the WiFi signal contention?

OE

I am getting these associate/ disassociate events all the time on my new AC86U (Non Mesh at the moment)..as well as wireless clients disappearing and reappearing on the network status at unpredictable intervals (so it's not regular connects/disconnects from the clients.

Feb 20 16:43:54 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc EC:55:F9:67:5F:25
Feb 20 17:12:13 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc DC:66:72:78:A2:C3
Feb 20 17:17:38 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc F0:4F:7C:82:30:0E
Feb 20 17:24:13 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc DC:66:72:78:A2:C3

Thing is none of those MAC addresses actually correspond to any of my devices shown in the network map. And which port is ETH5? A virtual port?

Smart Connect, MU-MIMO and Airtime fairness are all turned off (only way I could get half stable operation of Android Devices and Amazon Alexa) and occasionally ethernet connected devices come and go on the network map as well! When some of the Android devices disappear from the network map I attempt a connect to them and they are quite obviously still connected, sometimes they aren't. It would seem the firmware is buggy and often they haven't gone at all and the Network Status report is buggy, other times they really have gone.

It's odd because I have other devices on same band (2.4 GHz) that don't exhibit same behavior.
4.1.27 has nothing to do with drivers, it's simply the kernel version used by the firmware.

I'm the same , one old Foscam device seems to never get disconnected..everything else does..including sometimes wired devices. A big old bug I think.

I also had the WLCEVENTD Disassoc/Assoc messages on my AC3100 router log (same firmware release).

Please see my recent post for possible solution: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-drops-homekit-devices-wlceventd.54482/#post-466552

Had a look thanks..and did some reading on beamforming and I can see why you might want to disable universal beamforming with a mix of different capability devices attached but it did nothing for my setup. I think it's likely that some memory corruption is going on given the falsely reported MAC addresses which probably depends on what other features are enabled and just what the router is doing...especially as even hardwired devices are 'coming and going' on the list.

I don't think 45149 is actually stable.

Merlin 348.8_2 is the most stable with none of that assoc and disassoc. Merlin 348.9 has that spam too. Merlin never said anything about it and wouldn't reply to my questions about it.

Edit: Also, 348.8_2 is logs crashes unless your turn traffic analyser and Trend Micro off. Closed source code. Out of Merlin's control.

Last edited:
Merlin 348.8_2 is the most stable with none of that assoc and disassoc. Merlin 348.9 has that spam too. Merlin never said anything about it and wouldn't reply to my questions about it.

Edit: Also, 348.8_2 is logs crashes unless your turn traffic analyser and Trend Micro off. Closed source code. Out of Merlin's control.
Yeah, I've been following. Thanks for the reply. I've also read about a lot of 2.4 GHz radio issues, but not sure that's tied to FW version (seems HW). I still have a number of 2.4 GHz devices, so was hoping to keep that stable as well.

this fw is very unstable and problematic. WIFI scheduler not work, overal wifi is unstable and frequently gone. AIMesh regulary lost connection with node, problems with AIProtection etc....

I am waiting impatiently for firmware update.

Last edited:
this fw is very unstable and problematic. WIFI scheduler not work, overal wifi is unstable and frequently gone. AIMesh regulary lost connection with node, prenlems with AIProtection etc....

I am waiting impatiently for firmware update.
If it's that bad, have you considered downgrading to an earlier firmware? Any issue with that folks? Just wondering if 45149 can be properly downgraded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!