What's new

Asus RT-Ac86u usb hdd and problem with play mkv from this hdd

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WulkanOS

Occasional Visitor
Hi
This is my first post on the forum. I've owned an Asus RT-AC86U for nearly 2 years now and apart from some minor issues I'm happy with it. There was a problem with it when every few days or even hours the WiFi 2.4 would stop working and only turning it off/on helped, but after a recent upgrade to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.11 the problem disappeared. Now another one has appeared, namely I have a 4TB USB HDD connected to the router and running dlna, ftp, samba servers so I can via lan copy orat play movies on tv or media player. For over a year everything worked perfectly but for the last few months this has been a big problem. On tV after dlna, a few minutes after starting playback, films buffer every now and then, cut, cannot be watched. The situation is similar on media player. The films are mkv 2160p hdr files. Whenever a video frames every few minutes, the cpu load on the router reaches 100%. When copying files from router disk to computer etc router cpu fluctuates between 40-60%. The disk is with ntfs file system.
Please help.

Welcome to the forums @WulkanOS.

The only long-term solution is to use a real NAS (and not USB-attached storage on the router).

Check your drive for file system errors. Routers are not the right place to plug your drive in and may corrupt the drive. This specific router is easy to crash with file transfers to external storage. Related Out Of Memory conditions may crash services running on it as well. Get a NAS and leave the router alone.

Check your drive for file system errors. Routers are not the right place to plug your drive in and may corrupt the drive. This specific router is easy to crash with file transfers to external storage. Related Out Of Memory conditions may crash services running on it as well. Get a NAS and leave the router alone.
I don’t have NAS

Attached USB storage on Asus routers may work for light file sharing with no ill effects, but you have big size file transfers. Your router has only 150MB RAM available after boot. With Samba shares your RAM is at minimum 97% utilization. Linux based systems have efficient RAM management, but they can't manage non-existent RAM. Look at your System Log for OOM messages or storage related messages. Your movie files will perhaps grow in size and you may run into more serious issues. For reliability and performance you have to think about getting a real NAS box.

Attached USB storage on Asus routers may work for light file sharing with no ill effects, but you have big size file transfers. Your router has only 150MB RAM available after boot. With Samba shares your RAM is at minimum 97% utilization. Linux based systems have efficient RAM management, but they can't manage non-existent RAM. Look at your System Log for OOM messages or storage related messages. Your movie files will perhaps grow in size and you may run into more serious issues. For reliability and performance you have to think about getting a real NAS box.
Swap file could help?

No. Dead slow on USB attached storage. People running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and custom scripts have the option to create one, but it's there mostly for compatibility and when the scripts need some more space when updating blocklists. What you can try is switching your port to USB 2.0 to slow down the transfers. Sometimes it helps as temporary measure.

Hi
This is my first post on the forum. I've owned an Asus RT-AC86U for nearly 2 years now and apart from some minor issues I'm happy with it. There was a problem with it when every few days or even hours the WiFi 2.4 would stop working and only turning it off/on helped, but after a recent upgrade to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.11 the problem disappeared. Now another one has appeared, namely I have a 4TB USB HDD connected to the router and running dlna, ftp, samba servers so I can via lan copy orat play movies on tv or media player. For over a year everything worked perfectly but for the last few months this has been a big problem. On tV after dlna, a few minutes after starting playback, films buffer every now and then, cut, cannot be watched. The situation is similar on media player. The films are mkv 2160p hdr files. Whenever a video frames every few minutes, the cpu load on the router reaches 100%. When copying files from router disk to computer etc router cpu fluctuates between 40-60%. The disk is with ntfs file system.
Please help.
You can simply test it with a USB Flash Drive. If it works fine with a USB Flash Drive your HDD is dead.
Both USB 2.0 and 3.0 work fine with 2160p HDR MKV files even if 1 file size is over 30gb.

My router have 512MB RAM

From router web panel run health scanner; result is attach file.
Everything ok with my disk ?

Attachments

• ntfschk.txt
    30.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!