What's new

Asus RT-AC87R & 1 Cox Gigablast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mako82

New Around Here
I recently upgraded to a new modem that allowed 1Gb speeds through Cox Cable. I am running the Asus RT-AC87R Router from the Arris SB8200 Modem. Its been confirmed that i'm getting the speeds directly from the modem, but once I plug everything into the router, the speeds go back to max 300mbs. Are there settings that I need to change to allow the full speeds? or is this router not capable?

Disable QoS, traffic monitoring and parental controls; those functions can disable NAT acceleration, leading to lower speeds.

Yep, the only way you're going to get 1Gig on the 87U, or most any MIPS or ARM-based all-in-one, is via hardware-accelerated NAT/CTF -- not usable as soon as you turn on anything that requires routing be done in-software via CPU.

I turned off Qos and have Nat acceleration on and I'm still getting relatively the same speeds.

@Mako82 did you reboot the router?

Factory-reset the 87U. Twice for good measure. Afterwards, if you haven't already, flash the latest Merlin build. Then do a factory-default reset from within the firmware. Then re-configure your network from scratch, being careful not to enable any services that would disable hardware NAT. At that point, you should get gigabit throughput from your wired clients.

I did the factory reset and are already getting 2 the speeds. no the full 1gb, but upwards of 700. I downloaded the Merlin .zip folder. do I upload the .trx file as if im doing a firmware update?

Updated the firmware. Everything seems to be running like it should. Pushing 950mbps right now. Thanks for the help!!