What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.52545 - 2021/05/18

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RainGater96

Regular Contributor
A new version (3.0.0.4.382.52545) has been posted for RT-AC87U and it looks like ASUS didn't abandon this device yet. :)

Flashed it on top of the beta (9.0.0.4.382.52503) and it's all good. Thanks ASUS for still supporting this awesome router!

Almost 7 year old model still gets not only security update but also some bug fixes. This is one of the reasons I love Asus and their routers.

Almost 7 year old model still gets not only security update but also some bug fixes. This is one of the reasons I love Asus and their routers.
Well, you don't change routers every two years... Do you?

So, I would expect the OEM to support it for several years.

OTOH, if you flash DD-WRT, the support is forever or until Brain Slayer pulls the plug. :)

will this Release ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.52545 - 2021/05/18 better than rt-ac87u_384.13_10?

will this Release ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.52545 - 2021/05/18 better than rt-ac87u_384.13_10?
For me, I need the latest security patches + all the fixes and it's a no brainer to flash it. After flashing, I reset the settings as I was on beta before. It's working well - no issues till date.

Btw, Merlin stopped updating since last year and it's probably missing lots of security patches + other fixes that ASUS keeps pushing it. If I were you, I would flash the latest official version in a heart beat. But, hey, that's me. :)

Hi!
Another proud owner of still working 87U here.
I'm trying to decide whether to return to asus firmware after 5 years of using only Merlin (384.13.10 atvm).
Which features/enhancements would I be losing? Back in time, Merlin was YEARS ahead of stock fw, but I really don't know if Asus has catched up over time.
I do not use VPN, but I do use JFFS scripts, DNSFilter, UPnP server, Samba Share, Downloadmaster, CloudDisk.
Thanks in advance!

Stock firmware is stuck in the 1950s... But it may have some important security updates today.

Thanks L&LD.
Guess nothings changed over time then.
The ONLY reason I would revert to stock fw is for that security updates, otherwise I'll never consider it, Merlin is just superb.
I just can make up my mind wheter is worthy or not to lose Merlin goodies in behalf of that, and it's even harder to decide not knowing exactly which goodies I'll be losing (read that Asus borrowed many of Merlin's features over time)
Regards!

Here are a few that Asus borrowed.

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin

Some features first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin and were eventually implemented in the official firmware:​

• HTTPS configuration interface
  • Persistent JFFS partition
  • LED control - put your router in Stealth Mode by turning off all LEDs
  • Turning WPS button into a radio on/off toggle
  • Clicking on the MAC address of an unidentified client will do a lookup in the OUI database.
  • WakeOnLan web interface (with pre-configured targets)
  • Display active/tracked network connections
  • VPN Status page
  • DualWAN and Repeater mode (while it was still under development by Asus)
  • Basic OpenVPN (client and server) support
  • Configurable IPv6 firewall
  • Improved compatibility with 3TB+ and Advanced Format HDDs
  • SSH access
  • Disk spindown after user-configurable inactivity timeout
  • Updated Samba version (3.6), with SMB2.0 support
  • TLS 1.3 support for some services (OpenSSL 1.1.1)
  • Modern DDNS client (In-a-Dyn), with https support
  • Full cone NAT support (on some models)
  • User-provided SSL certificate
  • Display the Ethernet port states
  • TLS support for the FTP server
  • Allow or disable WAN access to the FTP server
  • User-defined options for WAN DHCP requests (required by some ISPs)

Thanks again.
Eventually, if I decide to try it, I will backup merlin settings, install asus, see how it goes along, and if a miss any feature or enhancemente, go back to Merlin.
Really don't won't to leave Merlin, but knowing of these unaddressed security issues is a mind itch.
Can't afford a new router either, prices are astronomical in my country (argentina). ie: an ax86u costs as much as 5 months minimum salary (20 times more than usa in comparison, where it costs 1/4 of monthly minimum wage)
Regards!

Hello all. Just moved to a new place and had to use Verizon all in one system. The tech said to turn on repeater mode on my ac87u. After searching for days I released that this model does not have repeater mode. I was wondering if marlin firmware has a repeater mode for ac87u? If so what version. Sorry for any inconvenience.

@Bluediablito
Afaik, you can't use it as repeater on Merlin neither.
Access point needs a wired conection to primary router.
Media bridge only works with another 87u, and only for wired devices.

Operation Modes.JPG

Operation Modes2.JPG

Operation Modes3.JPG

Regards!

A new version (3.0.0.4.382.52545) has been posted for RT-AC87U and it looks like ASUS didn't abandon this device yet. :)

Flashed it on top of the beta (9.0.0.4.382.52503) and it's all good. Thanks ASUS for still supporting this awesome router!

Version 3.0.0.4.382.52545
2021/05/18 39.09 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52545
1.Fixed the FragAttack vulnerability.
2.Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Tsinghua University NISL's contribution.
3.Improved system stability.
4.Fixed GUI bugs.

Will the latest stock from May 2021 flash directly over the final Merlin version for the AC-87U or are there some tricks I need to know? Need to quiet the nagging security thoughts.

Otherwise, can I get opinions/facts for or against sticking with the status quo as this device is currently double NAT'd running dedicated ExpressVPN?

I have an RT-AC66R router that was my main router for a while and got an RT-AC68R now to upgrade and use the old one as a repeater to extend the range a little bit. After many hours of trying to use the AC66R as a repeater and failing I decided to downgrade from ASUS' 382.xx firmware to the legacy Merlin for this router 380.70 version and suddenly the repeater started working. So I think I'll stick with Merlin for as long as possible even if it's old.

For me, I need the latest security patches + all the fixes and it's a no brainer to flash it. After flashing, I reset the settings as I was on beta before. It's working well - no issues till date.

Btw, Merlin stopped updating since last year and it's probably missing lots of security patches + other fixes that ASUS keeps pushing it. If I were you, I would flash the latest official version in a heart beat. But, hey, that's me. :)

Bro are you in Oct 2023 still on Asus latest firmware or did you switch to dd-wrt on 87U?

If on dd-wrt how is 5Ghz wifi on it? I mainly use mine as Access point only. Isn't dd-wrt latest update like in 2020 for 87u?

What's best firmware now for wifi threwput on 5Gz?

I'm looking for 1Ghz threwput if possible. Maybe need cheap access point under $80? Options?