What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware 9.0.0.4.382.52503 (02-02-2021)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

triple

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.382.52503 (Beta Version)
- Fixed Let's Encrypt issues
- Security Fixed:
Fixed CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Please be noted this is a quick fix beta version for DNSmasq vulnerabilities. Refer to "Method 2: Update Manually" in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update this firmware.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 39bfbb51d42137bcfd76ed6ee8fe2761

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC87U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Even with no new features, it is commendable that Asus is still keeping this router updated, secure and vital to the current owners who depend on it. Bravo Asus! :)

Even with no new features, it is commendable that Asus is still keeping this router updated, secure and vital to the current owners who depend on it. Bravo Asus! :)
yea this is random... It doesn't even support AiMesh and they are still trying to keep it alive for the folks that spent all that money.. It is a shame they just won't go ahead and bring it up to speed like the rest of the models...

No, not a shame. It's the hardware (Quantenna) that won't work as Asus wants (everything on the same codebase).

Is it possible for @RMerlin to add these security fixes to his 87u firmware?
probably not considering his code has migrated completely to 386 and he has quit continuation of 87u support as it is still on 382 code base. Users are just lucky Asus provided a firmware to patch this router on their stock firmware.

They're just not worth the effort. Won't be long before they all cook themselves to death. Seems that they have a hard shelf life end date. Me and few friends bought them at launch within a few weeks of each other. They all died within 6 weeks around November last year.

AX-88U has been a big upgrade but its got its own quirks. Signal strength is great but throughput is a bit iffy over wifi to be specific. Seems to fall off a cliff on large transfers. Suppose its what you get on 1st gen draft routers. Seems I haven't learnt my lesson...

They're just not worth the effort. Won't be long before they all cook themselves to death. Seems that they have a hard shelf life end date. Me and few friends bought them at launch within a few weeks of each other. They all died within 6 weeks around November last year.

AX-88U has been a big upgrade but its got its own quirks. Signal strength is great but throughput is a bit iffy over wifi to be specific. Seems to fall off a cliff on large transfers. Suppose its what you get on 1st gen draft routers. Seems I haven't learnt my lesson...
Bought my 87u the first week of release and still going strong with no issues.

You're one of the lucky ones @win465
Well, count me as the second one as mine is going strong as well.

I've been running Merlin on it but now will install this latest patch and see whether there are any improvements. Planning to flash it over and see whether it takes it or else will do a reset/configure it.

Mine is on the latest (last) Merlin build.
It has some minor quirks regarding cpu core 2 going to (and staying at) 100% - needing a reboot.
Sometimes it will (lately) just reboot itself for no reason.
Either my (dirty upgrade from the last Merlin version) - or perhaps just the hardware itself - are becoming cranky.
I am thinking of installing this ASUS Beta build, and do a good factory reset before reconfiguring it from scratch - just to see how that goes.

I hope you guys provide some good feedback (here) on how this beta build is working for you.

The newer AX routers are just SO expensive, though.
I am holding on to the last-minute - before pulling the trigger on a new one.
Maybe by that time, WiFi 6E will be an actual thing - and I can choose the proper router that supports it.

Tick...tock....

It has some minor quirks regarding cpu core 2 going to (and staying at) 100% - needing a reboot.
Either my (dirty upgrade from the last Merlin version) - or perhaps just the hardware itself - are becoming cranky.
I am thinking of installing this ASUS Beta build, and do a good factory reset before reconfiguring it from scratch - just to see how that goes.
(…)
Tick...tock....
For what it's worth, mine is on OEM (not ßeta) and going strong. That FW is still available at Asus.

EDIT: See this thread for more info & links

Last edited:

I hope you guys provide some good feedback (here) on how this beta build is working for you.

The newer AX routers are just SO expensive, though.
I am holding on to the last-minute - before pulling the trigger on a new one.
Maybe by that time, WiFi 6E will be an actual thing - and I can choose the proper router that supports it.

Tick...tock....
I flashed the latest beta (9.0.0.4.382_52503) and I don't see any issues. Everything is humming along very well.

It's always good to have all the security patches applied and thanks to ASUS for supporting it.

FWIW, I have setup automatic reboots at 3:30 AM every day. It is not needed but doesn't hurt to start fresh every day, IMHO.

I flashed the latest beta (9.0.0.4.382_52503) and I don't see any issues. Everything is humming along very well.

It's always good to have all the security patches applied and thanks to ASUS for supporting it.

FWIW, I have setup automatic reboots at 3:30 AM every day. It is not needed but doesn't hurt to start fresh every day, IMHO.

The automatic daily reboots do seem to help stability… a lot. I used to have a variety of intermittent problems but they all stopped once I started daily reboots. Another benefit was that if a problem came up, it was much easier to track down and resolve.

It is the same for me, I use it as my main router with the asus firmware. Very stable all day long. I reboot it every night.

Hi

Does anyone here know if the official Asus firmware belatedly supports DHCP Option 61 (as required for Sky fibre BB connections in the UK)? It was my primary reason for installing the Merlin firmware on my AC87U in the first place, so although having the security fixes would be nice via the official firmware, if I can't retain the ability to enter a manual clientID in the special requirements box I'll have to stick with the last Merlin version.

Should probably think about updating to a newer router model anyway.......

Hi

Does anyone here know if the official Asus firmware belatedly supports DHCP Option 61 (as required for Sky fibre BB connections in the UK)? It was my primary reason for installing the Merlin firmware on my AC87U in the first place, so although having the security fixes would be nice via the official firmware, if I can't retain the ability to enter a manual clientID in the special requirements box I'll have to stick with the last Merlin version.

Should probably think about updating to a newer router model anyway.......

From current RT-AC86U Asuswrt:

1616182403057.png

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!