What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U_9.0.0.4_384_110

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for the explanation Merlin!

Disappointing though ... although I guess I never purchased them with the promise of the functionality ...!

An additional question then (just for my setup) ...

I have Cat5e cable that does go from one side of the house to the other and therefore I can link both routers with the one plugged directly into the modem. Is there any tutorial that might guide me (as a relative newbie) on building the equivalent of a mesh network that will allow me to 'roam' my house and use my mobiles wifi calling without dropping the call as fundamentally this is my main problem with the current setup ... (given my mobile network coverage is equally as poor as my wifi coverage in the house)!

Thanks

Can I add my name to the seemingly growing list of those frustrated by a lack of updating the RT-AC87U with AiMesh capabilities! I own 2 of these routers and this functionality would be extremely useful to help overcome the current implementation of client bridge setup that is far less stable/efficient (using DD-WRT on one).

Any reason why this router has been ignored for this update?

@arthurlien please don't quote me post #8!!

I don't have authority to response your question. Sorry

My situation is similar to what Psuedomax described: RT87U router, but still not able to get complete WiFi coverage as desired, and we already have CAT6 cable installed & accessible throughout our 'largish' 2-story home.

Assuming/hoping AiMesh suport would be added for the RT87U, I previously was hoping to just add 1-2 more routers via ethernet to create an AiMesh.

But, since it now looks like the RT87U won't get AiMesh at all, now I need alternative suggestions for getting better WiFi coverage.

If I go ahead & add 1-2 more routers to the RT87U on the existing CAT6 ethernet network, which additional ASUS routers should I add (knowing they won't be in an AiMesh) and how would I configure them to operate together, both for best performance and to minimize signal transfer issues between them?

Might I end up better off if, instead, if I just take the loss & sell our existing RT87U for whatever I can get, & then either:

A. Get the AX6100 when it's available, so we would have both AiMesh support & future 802.11ax support? (If so, what other ASUS routers units should I get to go with it?)

OR

B. Not worry about using ASUS products at all & buy a pre-packaged mesh system, such as EEOR, which I understand also supports ethernet backhaul to be connected to the existing CAT6 ethernet network?

FWIW, we don't do any gaming, but we do use cellphones via WiFi all the time, and we stream video to various TVs around the house (one of which has a Roku unit attached via ethernet; the remaining ones require WiFi).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

My situation is similar to what Psuedomax described: RT87U router, but still not able to get complete WiFi coverage as desired, and we already have CAT6 cable installed & accessible throughout our 'largish' 2-story home.

Assuming/hoping AiMesh suport would be added for the RT87U, I previously was hoping to just add 1-2 more routers via ethernet to create an AiMesh.

But, since it now looks like the RT87U won't get AiMesh at all, now I need alternative suggestions for getting better WiFi coverage.

If I go ahead & add 1-2 more routers to the RT87U on the existing CAT6 ethernet network, which additional ASUS routers should I add (knowing they won't be in an AiMesh) and how would I configure them to operate together, both for best performance and to minimize signal transfer issues between them?

Might I end up better off if, instead, if I just take the loss & sell our existing RT87U for whatever I can get, & then either:

A. Get the AX6100 when it's available, so we would have both AiMesh support & future 802.11ax support? (If so, what other ASUS routers units should I get to go with it?)

OR

B. Not worry about using ASUS products at all & buy a pre-packaged mesh system, such as EEOR, which I understand also supports ethernet backhaul to be connected to the existing CAT6 ethernet network?

FWIW, we don't do any gaming, but we do use cellphones via WiFi all the time, and we stream video to various TVs around the house (one of which has a Roku unit attached via ethernet; the remaining ones require WiFi).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul

If it's any help ... I have changed my network to have 1 of my Asus routers to manage all the network traffic and give me the benefit of the Asus routers functionality (including remaining my DHCP server), and then purchased a 'Whole Home BT Mesh' setup. The BT mesh hardware doesn't have the best reviews, but I have found them to be great ... I get at least 60MB/s connection to the internet everywhere (on a fast fibre connection) ... that in the context that there were areas of the house without coverage before. So if you do decide to upgrade then this is an option ...

Graham

Hi Paul

If it's any help ... I have changed my network to have 1 of my Asus routers to manage all the network traffic and give me the benefit of the Asus routers functionality (including remaining my DHCP server), and then purchased a 'Whole Home BT Mesh' setup. The BT mesh hardware doesn't have the best reviews, but I have found them to be great ... I get at least 60MB/s connection to the internet everywhere (on a fast fibre connection) ... that in the context that there were areas of the house without coverage before. So if you do decide to upgrade then this is an option ...

Graham
Hi all,

Is there any updates on the aimesh support on 87u router?

Yes I would like to know too, if there is any support for aimesh on the RT-AC87U yet, maybe some unofficial firmware or something.

no

Asus already commented on the 87 when it comes to AImesh. They will not support AImesh on the 87.

okay a pity, had hoped someone had made some tweak that would enable this feature, but couldn't find anything about it. I'll just have to look for another router then. thanks for the replies.

Ac87u was the ugly failed experiment in the courtyard of asus. I think we all draw the short stick when we bought this router. I own a N66U and this AC87U but I’m looking forward to sell them and buy something else. Any advise what to get? With my child being 2 years old and he being the priority I’m kinda outdated on technology. I need 2 devices my house having 2 floors. Thank you.

2x RT-AC86U and if you need a cheap purchase take 2x RT-AC66U_B1 (they are very well if you wont need VPN on router).
Its not the best time right now to get new routers, AX is too expensive and not finished, better to wait about 2 years to get them as cheap new wifi6 standard.
Of course you could take 2x RT-AX88U too if you find a good deal, but you'ld have better done yesterday.

Ac87u was the ugly failed experiment in the courtyard of asus. I think we all draw the short stick when we bought this router. I own a N66U and this AC87U but I’m looking forward to sell them and buy something else. Any advise what to get? With my child being 2 years old and he being the priority I’m kinda outdated on technology. I need 2 devices my house having 2 floors. Thank you.

All: I get this, and I don't. I used to have this same trouble. I went through router after router, tried repeaters, custom bridges, etc., all to no avail. Then — an epiphany!

I run a couple of AC87U's in places hundreds of miles apart. Both are in multi-story buildings, one is a 2-story the other is a 4-story. The 2-story is roughly 5,000SF in total with massive (miles) of internal wiring, insulated interior walls and stairs, lots and lots of rooms, located in a flat suburban valley area. The 4-story is even worse… as in worse for Wi-Fi at roughly 8,000SF, in mountainous terrain of the high Sierras and wandering like the Winchester House.

I used to have issues of reach until I did some analysis using some very easy and cheap WiFi networking tools. That's when I discovered "reach" was not my problem — at all — overcrowding was. At the 4-story I have, at last count, 23-competing networks in the immediate area. These networks have signal reaching and penetrating the building from as far as several blocks away, if not more. The 2-story has 18-34 competitors depending on the day and time.

Every poor client on the network was constantly trying to pick out my one voice from the 20+ others screaming at it, some with equivalent or nearly equivalent signals. My clients "ears" were overwhelmed. It was like trying to hear a whisper in a crowded shout-filled stadium.

The problem wasn't router "power" or "reach", it was client sensitivity. Turning down the sensitivity on my client's helped them discriminate what network they were trying to latch onto while roaming the facilities and exteriors. That made a H-U-G-E difference in reliability and throughput.

You might want to give that a shot. Just my 2¢ worth.

Sky

Thanks for reply but I’m not aware of how can you change the client sensitivity. In our house the wifi clients are phones and tablets and wifi ip cameras. None of them can be tuned for sensitivity. I’m such a noob?

Thanks for reply but I’m not aware of how can you change the client sensitivity. In our house the wifi clients are phones and tablets and wifi ip cameras. None of them can be tuned for sensitivity. I’m such a noob?

Yeah, that's a problem. I can do it on laptops and desktops, but not our Apple devices (sigh). I have not tried turning down the broadcast power of the router — seems rather "contraindicated". You might, however, be able to snoop out channel crowding in your facility. That could help. I know there's a pretty good program for that for Windows and the free version works fine for residential type use. I'll try to locate the name and post here with an edit.

EDIT: 17-Jan-2020
These may help:
INSERTED EDIT: 20-Jan-2020
I forgot the one I use most:
  • WiFi Analyzer. It's available through the Microsoft Store if you're using Windows 8 or above.
There are others as well. One of the easier and cheaper ways of doing this is to load the application(s) on a laptop, then walk the area with that laptop noting signal strength, dead spots, etc. Personally I like to use more than one app for this until I find one I particularly like. They should display the same or very, very similar results. Watch it for awhile; go back and test it over several days. You may be surprised to see networks coming and going, channel changes, etc.

Remember, every square inch does not have to have 5 bars to be 9-by-9, you can do quite nicely with 2 bars. So if the areas most frequented by you or your users are all 5-bar, so to speak, but if there is a broom closet out back that Dick & Jane get off to once in awhile that's only 2-bars, leave it as-is. Installing repeaters will just split your bandwidth.

If you find your site is crowded with neighboring WiFi networks, especially with strong signal, you may want to change the WiFi channel(s) you are using. Another option is to set your router to self-managing the channel. If you can't adjust the sensitivity of the receiving devices (you normally can) or the strength of broadcast (not so easy, or not at all), this can definitely help.

In both of my locations I found the self-management algorithm to be quicker, more nimble, and frankly more competent at keeping my users connected and free from interference. That's typical in an area with many small businesses and/or residences as their equipment and settings change often. That said, ymmv, as always.

Sky

Last edited:
With my child being 2 years old and he being the priority I’m kinda outdated on technology. I need 2 devices my house having 2 floors. Thank you.

Young kids = lots of $$$. Maybe try tinkering with the Professional settings in 2.5 & 5 WiFi before tossing everything. Here are some to get you started:

Pro_24.JPG Pro_50.JPG
The 87 works fine if it's working and setup properly. But… there are a lot of settings and eeking out that last bit of performance can be a bit challenging. Assuming the Quantenna isn't shot, try these.

You can look up each of the settings at Wikipedia for a pretty decent understanding of what they do and how they may or may not help. I found these settings helped me get the coverage I was after (2-stories w/ 1-87 router on flat land; 4-stories with 1-87 router in mountainous granite terrain; both structures a Wi-Fi nightmare for blockages with crowded airwaves) and eliminated 95%+ of my disconnects.

Sky

Thank you, I will try these settings tonight. Now with this mesh madness and reviews is even harder to know what to buy. Netgear have some new mesh hardware release mk62 that seems ok but also asus with zen mesh looks promising and with so many lan ports is hard to beat. Usually a mesh has 1 or 2 ports max. I said that I will stay away from asus but I like the os. Decisions decisions....

You might be ahead to start by downloading WinFi Lite (assuming you're using Win10) and see what the environment looks like. It could be a lot easier than you think. Go here for the forum discussion from last September (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/winfi-lite-new-wifi-analyzer-tool-for-windows.59181/) and here to DL the app (https://www.helge-keck.com/index.html) as it's temporarily not available at the Windows Store.

If all you need to do is tweak the channel & bandwidth settings, that could save several hours of mind numbing used only once and soon to be forgotten work.

You might be ahead to start by downloading WinFi Lite (assuming you're using Win10) and see what the environment looks like. It could be a lot easier than you think. Go here for the forum discussion from last September (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/winfi-lite-new-wifi-analyzer-tool-for-windows.59181/) and here to DL the app (https://www.helge-keck.com/index.html) as it's temporarily not available at the Windows Store.

If all you need to do is tweak the channel & bandwidth settings, that could save several hours of mind numbing used only once and soon to be forgotten work.
Good to know, thank you.

Good to know, thank you.

FYI: A few minutes ago I noticed using WinFi Lite that if you select the funnel icon (Filters), beginning with Network Filter [SSID's] and going down the list every option is crashing under Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 on my system. The other things look to be working just fine and it's still a very useful tool without those. These crashes were well-limited by Windows and did not effect system stability. Thus the tool could be re-launched and worked perfectly fine as long as I avoided using any of those filters.

Fwiw, I and many others here keep a few of these utilites handy for this sort of stuff. My others are inSSIDer and WiFi Analyzer. Neither of these have crashed on me, but they are not as robust either. inSSIDer is available at Metageek (https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/), WiFi Analyzer (not and Scanner, not Tool) is available at the Microsoft Store. These are all freebies so there is certainly a bit of that to take into consideration.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!