What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81116

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NSNE

Regular Contributor
New firmware is out for the RT-AC88U.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81116 changelog:

Security fix
  • Fixed a DDoS vulnerability. Thanks for Altin Thartori's contribution.

Bug fix
  • Fixed web control interface login problem.
  • Fixed Network map clist list issues.
  • Fixed block internet access problem when clients connected to AiMesh node
  • Fixed Samba server compatibility issue.
  • Fixed OpenVPN related bugs.
  • Fixed schedule reboot bugs.
  • Improved AiMesh compatibility.
  • Improved system stability.
  • Fixed User interface related bugs.
Link to Asus' support page.

Gonna wait til those braver than me test it. My days of being adventurous and not caring ended when I got married and get an angry wife and crying toddlers if Netflix and baby shark don't work

I am using the new firmware on my AC3100 same router as the 88U - the extra ports. So far working good.

I have updated my AC88U.
Only thing I have so far is my log being spam by this:
Sepp 25 05:21:20 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Sep 25 05:21:30 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Sep 25 05:21:40 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Sep 25 05:21:50 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Any idea?

Edit: Fixed, my LG tv was still thinking it was connected when OFF and sending packet to the router.

Last edited:
Anyone installed this on an 88U AiMesh node? When I check for new firmware via my 5300 GUI, it doesn't show any new firmware available for the 88U.

I was thinking about updating manually in case there are node improvements, but maybe .81116 is intended for primary routers?

its for nodes too.
download or wait until it is shown on router itself too.

Last edited:
I have updated my AC88U.
Sepp 25 05:21:20 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Sep 25 05:21:30 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Sep 25 05:21:40 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Sep 25 05:21:50 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 94:6A:B0:0C:E1:95, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Any idea?

Edit: Fixed, my LG tv was still thinking it was connected when OFF and sending packet to the router.
If your LG tv was OFF, how exactly "was it sending packet to the router"?

I have updated my AC88U.

Any idea?

I had the same problem with the wifi camera which I disconnected from the wifi and connected to the lan. Had to enter ssid and password to connect wifi too to stop these messages. But sometimes they still appear. Not as often as before (almost every second)
Code:
syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth2: Disassoc MAC, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth1: Auth MAC, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)

And this firmware has very good feature (option) - different DNS for each client.

Last edited:
Ports 5-8 began to be disconnected periodically (loses ip).
WLCEVENTD error also sometimes appears. Plus, the aimesh nodes have already been disabled twice, despite the fact that after the update all the settings were reset.

Last edited:
I'm amazed every time firmware is updated that the log file still fills up with gibberish which so overwhelms the log that I never ever seem to capture any meaningful information or at least information I think I SHOULD see. As noted in this and other threads, it's always filled with WLCEVENTD or dnsmasq[307]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted over and over and over and over.

Can you imagine users posting messages here in SNB only to have their message lost in line after line of useless (and it would appear usually harmless) information like this?

If it's meaningless and harmless, I wish ASUS would provide a checkbox to suppress this kind of information and let only important information be captured. If it's meaningful or harmful, there should be a way to diagnose it and fix it so our routers are properly configured.

As is, I never know if this means the router is in an endless loop with another device on my network constantly connecting and disconnecting (apparently that's not happening as every device seems to be working properly) or if one of them is attempting to contact a nefarious entity on the internet but the router is catching it and thus the operation is not permitted. Unfortunately, the router's log file is filled with this same info over and over and over with no end in site.

Sorry, just ranting. Otherwise, 3.0.0.4.384_81116 seems to be working normally. In other words, my family can still access the Internet and TV etc. streams fine....

Still.....!

Check your Windows Event Viewer log sometime, you'll see the true meaning of "filled up with gibberish"...

Nodes connection type: Ethernet backhaul.
Firmware: 81116.
NVRAM: Both main and nodes cleared.

Existing issues:
1. AiMesh status page: Sometimes if I change the node names manually GUI is frozen and can't be accessed by a web browser until power off and reboot. But I can access the internet.
2. AiMesh nodes status page: Sometimes it shows Nodes are off line but I can access the internet.
3. AiMesh nodes status page: Sometimes it doesn't show connected devices. But all of them are connected actually.
:mad:

Last edited:
I'm amazed every time firmware is updated that the log file still fills up with gibberish which so overwhelms the log that I never ever seem to capture any meaningful information or at least information I think I SHOULD see. As noted in this and other threads, it's always filled with WLCEVENTD or dnsmasq[307]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted over and over and over and over.

Can you imagine users posting messages here in SNB only to have their message lost in line after line of useless (and it would appear usually harmless) information like this?

If it's meaningless and harmless, I wish ASUS would provide a checkbox to suppress this kind of information and let only important information be captured. If it's meaningful or harmful, there should be a way to diagnose it and fix it so our routers are properly configured.

As is, I never know if this means the router is in an endless loop with another device on my network constantly connecting and disconnecting (apparently that's not happening as every device seems to be working properly) or if one of them is attempting to contact a nefarious entity on the internet but the router is catching it and thus the operation is not permitted. Unfortunately, the router's log file is filled with this same info over and over and over with no end in site.

Sorry, just ranting. Otherwise, 3.0.0.4.384_81116 seems to be working normally. In other words, my family can still access the Internet and TV etc. streams fine....

Still.....!

@Robert Jones
@RMerlin

I was getting this message too...
Dec 9 19:52:47 dnsmasq[295]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
Dec 9 19:52:48 dnsmasq[295]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
Dec 9 19:52:49 dnsmasq[295]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
Dec 9 19:52:50 dnsmasq[295]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
Dec 9 19:52:51 dnsmasq[295]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
Dec 9 19:52:53 dnsmasq[295]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

I went into AI Protection --> Network Protection and set AIProtection to OFF, and the dnsmasq log spam went away.

I am using the latest Asus Firmware versions:
RT-AC5300
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81219-g786875a
Manual firmware update : Upload

AiMesh Node
RT-AC68U
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.385_10000-gd8ccd3c

I also found this in an an old Gentoo forum where the user mentioned the same error and this as the solution, I wonder if the same applies here:
Q: Dnsmasq fails to start up with a message about capabilities.
Why did that happen and what can do to fix it?

A: Change your kernel configuration: either deselect CONFIG_SECURITY
_or_ select CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES. Alternatively, you can
remove the need to set capabilities by running dnsmasq as root.

Last edited:
something is wrong with the device list in this firmware that doesn't occur in the ac68(in media bridge mode) with similar versioned firmware.

2.4G devices with a static ip address do not appear, this inclues things such as a tplink ap i have attached to a ps3 (its bg chip is bad), and my canon printer, both of which turn up in the ac68's client list

Here are 2 things ive noticed on this firmware. First after about a week or so you cannot log in through either Safari, edge, IE or Chrome. When you try to access it never logs you in until you reboot which then it works fine. Second I have been noticing lags for a few seconds at times on wired and wireless devices. That one is by far the most annoying. Anyone else noticing these issues?

thats a trait of just about every ac88u firmware, the http daemon dies, and you can't even do the telnet restart trick because it won't complete the authentication.

thats a trait of just about every ac88u firmware, the http daemon dies, and you can't even do the telnet restart trick because it won't complete the authentication.

Ive had that happen before but usually a change of browser get you in. Now when its borked on one its borked on all now.

Yikes, i started getting problems with the internet going down every few days.
I switched to Merlin FW and it still happened.
I was going to do a "Factory Reset" since I got this router used, but in the mean time I started disabling all non-essentials in the Menu and it seems to be steady now. Cross my fingers when it gets to about 5 days.
None of the "TTL Value" or "Mac cloning" things would help, I would get the "Your ISPs DHCP is not working correctly" and have to reboot modem+router o_O (I've also just switched back to Windows, I had a disaster with linux)

After updating yesterday, I can no longer connect to 2.4GHz wireless. The 5GHz wireless works fine. I get an "incorrect password" on my client, and only see this in the system logs:

Jan 16 10:00:16 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth2: Disassoc <mac>, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jan 16 10:00:22 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth2: Auth <mac>, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Jan 16 10:00:22 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth2: Assoc <mac>, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)

I've tried changing the password, WPA-2 method, even switched to 'Open Network' (no password) and can't connect. Any ideas?

After updating yesterday, I can no longer connect to 2.4GHz wireless.

Fixed by disabling mac address filtering on the wireless interface. Even though I had nothing in the 'reject' list, none of my devices would connect to 2.4G. I had the exact same settings for the 5G and it worked fine there... disabled it completely and now devices connect again. Must be some bugs in the mac addr filter code.