What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U obtains internet connection for ~1 second then connection drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I assigned an internal static IP to the ASUS - 192.168.0.99 (ISP router is .1)

Here is an example with IP addresses:
- your ISP router WAN IP is assigned by your ISP, but LAN IP is 192.168.0.1
- your Asus WAN IP is assigned by your ISP router 192.168.0.x, but Asus LAN IP is 192.168.2.1

You're indeed confused by Asus WAN and LAN IPs. They are on 2 different networks.

Here is an example with IP addresses:
- your ISP router WAN IP is assigned by your ISP, but LAN IP is 192.168.0.1
- your Asus WAN IP is assigned by your ISP router 192.168.0.x, but Asus LAN IP is 192.168.2.1

You're indeed confused by Asus WAN and LAN IPs. They are on 2 different networks.
I know the difference between a WAN and LAN IP but to confirm are you saying to have the ISP router IP and ASUS router IP on different subnets so and not within the same range?

Correct. Devices connected to the ISP LAN ports (if any), move to Asus LAN ports. This way all your devices are on the Asus network. Can you do that?

This is roughly how my home network is set, with extra backup Wi-Fi from the ISP router:

Code:
                                 (Main Wi-Fi, Ch.1, Ch.36)

AP         AP         AP

|          |          |

ISP router 192.168.144.1    -    My router 192.168.168.1

|

(Backup WiFi, Ch.11, Ch.149)

|

VoIP, IoT

This way I can shut down the entire Main network, but VoIP and IoT keeps going, plus Wi-Fi connection is still available.

Correct. Devices connected to the ISP LAN ports (if any), move to Asus LAN ports. This way all your devices are on the Asus network. Can you do that?
Thank you, yes that worked - I was obviously confusing it by placing them within the same IP range...pain that I need to use the ISP router when the ASUS was working fine on its own but thank you and thank you @Tech9 for all your help!

pain that I need to use the ISP router

Folks talk about Asus routers connection issues, but I've never seen this happening. The only guaranteed solution is ISP provided equipment as middle man. There is no performance difference in double NAT. Many people use own routers this way for different reasons. What is your pain with ISP router?

Folks talk about Asus routers connection issues, but I've never seen this happening. The only guaranteed solution is ISP provided equipment as middle man. There is no performance difference in double NAT. Many people use own routers this way for different reasons. What is your pain with ISP router?
More cables and more space taken up, ISP router is pretty bulky and I also need to run an extension lead as I don't have the sockets available. Ill get over it but the set up was tidier when I just required the ASUS.

You should post your ISP requirements and a screenshot of your WAN page. I'm not convinced your Asus settings were exactly correct. You're not the only one on Sky network with an Asus router. If something was changed on Sky end and it prevents routers to connect, it will generate some noise on Internet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!