What's new

Asus RT-AC88U Proper Settings / Gigabit Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AccordXTC

New Around Here
Hello all

I've tried searching the forums as well on the internet trying to find some answers. I currently have gigabit internet with Rogers and using a Asus RT-AC88U connected with Cat6a cables.

Is there some settings that would be recommended to turn on our off by default when working with faster services. I've tried reading up trying different options and have channels selected that are not being used by other networks.

I'm looking to get the best possible throughput for WiFi or wired. Anyone here have the same combination of service that can help. I've also tried the factory firmware as well as Merlins firmware.

Thanks in advance

Hello all

I've tried searching the forums as well on the internet trying to find some answers. I currently have gigabit internet with Rogers and using a Asus RT-AC88U connected with Cat6a cables.

Is there some settings that would be recommended to turn on our off by default when working with faster services. I've tried reading up trying different options and have channels selected that are not being used by other networks.

I'm looking to get the best possible throughput for WiFi or wired. Anyone here have the same combination of service that can help. I've also tried the factory firmware as well as Merlins firmware.

Thanks in advance

Have you already setup and secured your router? Have you performed a speed test from a wired LAN client? What is not working?

OE

Have you already setup and secured your router? Have you performed a speed test from a wired LAN client? What is not working?

OE

Hello

My wired speeds at normally 800-960 on average which is fine by me, wasn't sure if there was additional settings I could turn on to improve traffic. WiFi is one that is hit and miss with working. I've tried setting channels not being used and tried turning on and off different options to help with speed. WiFi I normally see around 300-500mbps but find that's beside the router. If I'm further away I tend to see 150 to 200mbps.

I was hoping it was as simple as someone knowing what works best for wireless options on a AC router that I can do and not have to tinker with it trying to get solid / more consistent speeds. When I check on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ it shows connected to the router at 780mbps, sometimes I can check and it'lll say 866mpbs but never see those speeds over WiFi.

Any help would be appreciated

Hello

My wired speeds at normally 800-960 on average which is fine by me, wasn't sure if there was additional settings I could turn on to improve traffic. WiFi is one that is hit and miss with working. I've tried setting channels not being used and tried turning on and off different options to help with speed. WiFi I normally see around 300-500mbps but find that's beside the router. If I'm further away I tend to see 150 to 200mbps.

I was hoping it was as simple as someone knowing what works best for wireless options on a AC router that I can do and not have to tinker with it trying to get solid / more consistent speeds. When I check on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ it shows connected to the router at 780mbps, sometimes I can check and it'lll say 866mpbs but never see those speeds over WiFi.

Any help would be appreciated

I'd say your wired LAN speed is about right.

Your wireless WLAN speed can be a function of the wireless client connection rate, which you can query on the client (866 is 2 x ac base speed i.e. 2 antennas). This connection rate can vary with protocol, distance/signal power, interference, number of antennas, wireless adapter quality/drivers, etc. Also, some older protocols can pull down WLAN speed for newer protocols, so omit configuring these unless needed. And there's probably factors I can't think of.

Try setting up your router wireless as follows, for example:

o if using Smart Connect, wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel will be adjusted automatically. If NOT using Smart Connect, then use separate SSIDs.

o set 2.4 GHz WLAN to OE (OE-24 for separate SSIDs), n-only, 20 MHz, CH 11, WPA2-Personal AES (channels 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth do not overlap... use the least congested of these as evident on a WiFi Analyzer app)

o set 5.0 GHz WLAN to OE (OE-50 for separate SSIDs), n/ac mixed, 20/40/80 MHz, Auto, Auto, WPA2-Personal AES

Substitute your own preferences, of course.

OE

I'd say your wired LAN speed is about right.

Your wireless WLAN speed can be a function of the wireless client connection rate, which you can query on the client (866 is 2 x ac base speed i.e. 2 antennas). This connection rate can vary with protocol, distance/signal power, interference, number of antennas, wireless adapter quality/drivers, etc. Also, some older protocols can pull down WLAN speed for newer protocols, so omit configuring these unless needed. And there's probably factors I can't think of.

Try setting up your router wireless as follows, for example:

o if using Smart Connect, wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel will be adjusted automatically. If NOT using Smart Connect, then use separate SSIDs.

o set 2.4 GHz WLAN to OE (OE-24 for separate SSIDs), n-only, 20 MHz, CH 11, WPA2-Personal AES (channels 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth do not overlap... use the least congested of these as evident on a WiFi Analyzer app)

o set 5.0 GHz WLAN to OE (OE-50 for separate SSIDs), n/ac mixed, 20/40/80 MHz, Auto, Auto, WPA2-Personal AES

Substitute your own preferences, of course.

OE

2.4 GHz....What does the N only mean exactly? Everything on my 2.4ghz is pretty much the same and I have seen improvement.

5ghz......What is n/ac mixed mean? Everything on mine is pretty much the same but that.

2.4 GHz....What does the N only mean exactly? Everything on my 2.4ghz is pretty much the same and I have seen improvement.

5ghz......What is n/ac mixed mean? Everything on mine is pretty much the same but that.

Select the Wireless setting name "Wireless Mode" in the router firmware to read the popup help about the WiFi protocol(s) you can configure each band to support/permit.

If you want to learn more, find a WiFi protocol reference on Google Search and read up.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!