What's new

Asus RT-AC88U wrong country code

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ModmIke

New Around Here
Being an early adopter bit me in the butt. When the RT-AC88U originally came out, it was not available in Canada so I got it from Gearbest. Unfortunately it has CN as the country code, with all the power and channel restrictions that come along with it.

Unfortunately it took me 4 years to figure this out. I want to switch it to CA but I need to edit the CFE.bin which I can't seem to get. Questions:

1) Would flashing DDWRT to the router give me easy access to the cfe.bin?
2) How would I change the country code?
3) Would the country code "stick" if I flashed back to Asus firmware (I need AI mesh)

All help appreciated.

Is the country not selectable at the bottom of Wireless Professional tab?

Note that you will only be able to use this as the AiMesh master. Trying to use it as a Node requires factory reset and so back to CN.

I have a grey import 5300 and have replaced it since building my AiMesh (need to sell it really).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being an early adopter bit me in the butt. When the RT-AC88U originally came out, it was not available in Canada so I got it from Gearbest. Unfortunately it has CN as the country code, with all the power and channel restrictions that come along with it.

Unfortunately it took me 4 years to figure this out. I want to switch it to CA but I need to edit the CFE.bin which I can't seem to get. Questions:

1) Would flashing DDWRT to the router give me easy access to the cfe.bin?
2) How would I change the country code?
3) Would the country code "stick" if I flashed back to Asus firmware (I need AI mesh)

All help appreciated.

Boot loader is encrypted, even if you flash DD-WRT, it won't allow modification to boot loader thus can't modify it. All new Asus router are using encrypted boot loader or CFE.