What's new

ASUS RT-AX58U Firewall Rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vagabond

New Around Here
RE: ASUS RT-AX58U Firewall Rules. This is my first ASUS Router I have access to.

I want to be explicit on Blocking Ingress on specific TCP/UDP Ports and Port Ranges.

While there are instructions on User-Defined QoS Rules, there are none for Inbound Firewall Rules.
The manual on User-Defined QoS Rules, shows...
Enter IP addresses within one subnet or within the same IP pool, such as “192.168.123.*”, or “192.168.*.*”

and

Enter ports within a range, such as “103:315”, “>100”, or “<65535”

What I want to do is block Any/All Internet IP address and *.*.*.* is not accepted
However it does accept the ":" Port Range Delimiter. [ Ex: 135:139 ]

On my ActionTec Router I had a Drop Down menu and choice for the Source IP of "Any" and "User Defined"
Image.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that Any Source IP for Inbound TCP/UDP Rules on the ASUS Router would be; 255.255.255.255 ?
Image1.jpg

Thank You!

The Inbound firewall rules are not to be trusted at this point in time. The current implementation makes no sense (to me at least). The firewall is secure, but the notion of custom inbound firewall rules is not ready.

Thank you.

I believe the Router indicated I can't leave the field empty.
I am not in front of the router at this time, Tomorrow I will double-check.

I believe the Router indicated I can't leave the field empty.
You are correct. The router won't allow that field to be blank. But as Dave said the default action of the firewall it to block everything so the intention is probably to block or allow specific ranges of IP addresses. But at the moment it doesn't seem to be fully implemented.

The Inbound firewall rules are not to be trusted at this point in time. The current implementation makes no sense (to me at least). The firewall is secure, but the notion of custom inbound firewall rules is not ready.

Thanks. That's disappointing :-(

RE: ASUS RT-AX58U Firewall Rules. This is my first ASUS Router I have access to.

I want to be explicit on Blocking Ingress on specific TCP/UDP Ports and Port Ranges.

While there are instructions on User-Defined QoS Rules, there are none for Inbound Firewall Rules.
The manual on User-Defined QoS Rules, shows...
Enter IP addresses within one subnet or within the same IP pool, such as “192.168.123.*”, or “192.168.*.*”

and

Enter ports within a range, such as “103:315”, “>100”, or “<65535”

What I want to do is block Any/All Internet IP address and *.*.*.* is not accepted
However it does accept the ":" Port Range Delimiter. [ Ex: 135:139 ]

On my ActionTec Router I had a Drop Down menu and choice for the Source IP of "Any" and "User Defined"
View attachment 56337

Am I correct in assuming that Any Source IP for Inbound TCP/UDP Rules on the ASUS Router would be; 255.255.255.255 ?
View attachment 56335

Thank You!
There is no need to open inbound ports on the firewall. The best firewall policy will always be DROP. When you want to open a port, it will always be done via port forwarding to an IP on the local network. Besides that, there are terminals with DMZ rules, generally for IoT devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!