What's new

ASUS RT-AX68U Underperforming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Storsen

New Around Here
Hello people who are way more knowledgeable than me!

I just got a brand new RT-AX68U router for me and family. We needed an upgrade because our last router was from 2014 (a good router from 2014!) and it was just not reaching the places in the house we needed it to.

That being said, this router DOES reach those places much better, but the speeds over Wi-Fi are only slightly better than before. Going from around 250 Mbps on the old router to 300 Mbps (On 5Ghz) on the new router (While standing directly over the router). We have gig internet speeds and that is reflected on the LAN speeds. It's reaching close to 1000 Mbps over ethernet. But clearly, it's lacking in the wireless speeds. I followed all of L&LD's steps outlined in this post HERE. Unfortunately, it didn't make any noticeable difference. I'm not sure what's wrong here, me or the router?

A few things I should make clear:
- We are not running any kind of mesh system either and the two bands are separated (I wanted to keep them combined but it seems like the router does a poor job at switching between the bands automatically. I would be standing directly over it with only 100 Mbps or less.)
- I am testing this on a WiFi 6 capable device
- The router is fully updated.

Thanks for any advice.

What firmware version are you using?

Go to System Log - Wireless Log. In the 5GHz section what does it say next to "Channel:" (e.g. 44/80)?

Go to Network Map > Clients > View List. What are the Tx and Rx Rates for the WiFi device you're testing with (at close range)?

Try testing with different (WiFi 5) clients at close range.

Last edited:
What firmware version are you using?

Go to System Log - Wireless Log. In the 5GHz section what does it say next to "Channel:" (e.g. 44/80)?

Go to Network Map > Clients > View List. What are the Tx and Rx Rates for the WiFi device you're testing with (at close range)?

Try testing with different (WiFi 5) clients at close range.

Version 3.0.0.4.386_46061

Primary channel: 161

From my WiFi 6 capable phone the TX/RX rate is (1201/1201) while testing.

It seems that a WiFi 5 phone has a faster speed than the WiFi 6 phone. TX/RX rate during testing was (866/866) and it received speeds of about 400/500 Mbps

Thoughts?

"Standing over the router" is actually not best case --- there is such a thing as too strong signal. Three or so meters/yards away is often said to be the best place to test.

Having said that, you can't usually expect to get more than half or two-thirds of the nominal wireless TX rate as actual real-world throughput. You're getting less than that, so maybe there's something to improve, but it could be that there's just too much interference where you are. Are you in a dense neighborhood with a lot of visible WiFi signals?

"Standing over the router" is actually not best case --- there is such a thing as too strong signal. Three or so meters/yards away is often said to be the best place to test.

Having said that, you can't usually expect to get more than half or two-thirds of the nominal wireless TX rate as actual real-world throughput. You're getting less than that, so maybe there's something to improve, but it could be that there's just too much interference where you are. Are you in a dense neighborhood with a lot of visible WiFi signals?

Even from roughly 3 meters, the speed is exactly the same. 300 Mbps, tops.

No other WiFi signals reach my device.

Keep testing at realistic distances, and test all the Control Channels for the one that gives your devices not just the best range and throughput, but also the lowest latency too.

Note that you may already be using the best Control Channel, but it is still worth testing for.

I do not recommend any WiFi apps when doing this.

Simply start with one Control Channel, reboot the router, and test as long as you can (24 hours + is ideal). Keep good notes, and indicate the three key metrics above with each Channel and with multiple devices at the same key/multiple locations.

Also try resetting the network settings on problem devices too.

And try testing with an 8 character SSID and a 16 character password that are both strictly alphanumeric, with no spaces, no special characters, and no smiley faces. Remember that you can use a Guest Network for these tests, to not disrupt the entire network.

Version 3.0.0.4.386_46061

Primary channel: 161

From my WiFi 6 capable phone the TX/RX rate is (1201/1201) while testing.

It seems that a WiFi 5 phone has a faster speed than the WiFi 6 phone. TX/RX rate during testing was (866/866) and it received speeds of about 400/500 Mbps

Thoughts?
So it looks to be a problem only for this specific client device. Try testing other devices to confirm.

Try changing the channel to 100 with a bandwidth of 80 MHz, just see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
So it looks to be a problem only for this specific client device. Try testing other devices to confirm.

Try changing the channel to 100 with a bandwidth of 80 MHz, just see if it makes a difference.

My PC connected through WiFi (Doesn't appear to be connecting through WiFi 6) seems to have a similar bandwidth of 400/575 Mbps (with an TX/RX rate of 866/866) So it is reaching its theoretical maximum in upload speed, but not download. Devices like my WiFi 6 phone have a TX/RX rate of 1,200 and can't get anywhere near that speed.

The throughput severely declined on WiFi 6 with those settings, dropping it down to a mere 150 Mbps. On WiFi 5 it made no difference.

Should I try another RT-AX68U router? I can swap it with a different one, with the expense of time if it seems at all likely that it's an issue with the router. It does seem strange that WiFi 6 is underperforming to that level.

My PC connected through WiFi (Doesn't appear to be connecting through WiFi 6) seems to have a similar bandwidth of 400/575 Mbps (with an TX/RX rate of 866/866) So it is reaching its theoretical maximum in upload speed, but not download. Devices like my WiFi 6 phone have a TX/RX rate of 1,200 and can't get anywhere near that speed.

The throughput severely declined on WiFi 6 with those settings, dropping it down to a mere 150 Mbps. On WiFi 5 it made no difference.

Should I try another RT-AX68U router? I can swap it with a different one, with the expense of time if it seems at all likely that it's an issue with the router. It does seem strange that WiFi 6 is underperforming to that level.
There are many factors with WIFI that can drive you nuts. It would seem that a WIFI 6 device would perform better, read upload/download speed, than a WIFI 5 device. In fact I have a very early Mac Mini that has a 3x3 AC radio that seems to work as well as my AX laptops with 2x2 radios!
I also advocate using the Dual Band SmartConnect, 2.4 GHz on Auto channel at 20 MHz and 5 GHz on Auto channel at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. Reasons: 20 MHz to be kind to my neighbors (and I have had some issues with 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz over the years). the 5 GHz basically running on auto to let the router decide what is best and to avoid RADAR conflicts. My router usually runs on 80 MHz until an AX client connects then the bandwidth goes to 160 MHz if the router is cleared for RADAR.
Sounds counter productive and I still get flack from some "tech" experts that I only have a 100/100 FIOS connection. But hey, isn't it worth a try? If you have messed with the WIFI settings it may be best to factory reset and start over. Setup is not that hard. I can do mine in less than 30 minutes. Also, a reliable WIFI connection is more important than bandwidth. Your AX68U should give you reliability and security.

For me (Asus RT-AX86U) these 5GHz settings, keeping Smart Connect off, separate 2.4 from 5GHz bands, works very well,
no issues ever, just stable and fast connectivity.
Only legacy devices connect to 2.4GHz band, all stationary devices, and only iOS devices in our home connect to 5GHz....
On 1G Internet connection and getting from ~250 - 1200 Mbps depending the distance from the router and that over 3 floors down to the basement, router on top floor....
Everything about ~100 Mbps is great and makes zero practical difference for me on Wi-Fi, PC's are all on Ethernet.

Clipboard01.jpg
Screenshot 2022-04-18 201323.jpg

Got RT-AX68U with firmware in signature. Recently have bought Sony Xperia 1 IV with a/b/g/n/ac/6e WLAN capabilities. Is there any chance to make them cooperate via any mesh/adapter? They connect each other only by 2.4GHz channels so far :(... Did anybody get it running?

Last edited:
For me (Asus RT-AX86U) these 5GHz settings, keeping Smart Connect off, separate 2.4 from 5GHz bands, works very well,
no issues ever, just stable and fast connectivity.
Only legacy devices connect to 2.4GHz band, all stationary devices, and only iOS devices in our home connect to 5GHz....
On 1G Internet connection and getting from ~250 - 1200 Mbps depending the distance from the router and that over 3 floors down to the basement, router on top floor....
Everything about ~100 Mbps is great and makes zero practical difference for me on Wi-Fi, PC's are all on Ethernet.

View attachment 40882View attachment 40883
Interesting..I notice you have both Universal and 802.11 ac/ax beamforming enabled..@L&LD recommends they are disabled for AC routers. And since I currently have an AC68P, I'm curious if this setting is better :)

You have to have 802.11ac Beamforming enabled on 5GHz band on your AC68P router. Otherwise it performs worse.

I'm looking to upgrade my RT-AC68P to a WiFi 6 router with better range and am considering the RT-AX68U due to its cost and design. Are you still experiencing issues? Unlike your network, I have many less WiFi devices running since I also use a powerline setup for AV etc. If I understand the specs, it appears the AX68U uses the same processor as the AC86U did, but the design is far superior. Thanks

am considering the RT-AX68U due to its cost and design

You mean the plastic? What's inside is the only Asus router in existence with BCM6710 used for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios - failed due to multiple issues design and replaced by number of BCM6756 models already (RT-AX58U V2 and similar). Now you know why it often comes cheap on sale. Some stores in the US still have it. None in Canada - it got cleared out months ago. You never listen though and ask the same questions at least 10 times. Good luck.

You mean the plastic? What's inside is the only Asus router in existence with BCM6710 used for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios - failed due to multiple issues design and replaced by number of BCM6756 models already (RT-AX58U V2 and similar). Now you know why it often comes cheap on sale. Some stores in the US still have it. None in Canada - it got cleared out months ago. You never listen though and ask the same questions at least 10 times. Good luck.
Um..me thinks you misread the post. I'm asking about the AX68U, NOT the AC86U.. I'd appreciate it if you would chill out and READ before passing judgement.. Sheesh!

PS according to this site, the processor in the RT-AX68U is the Broadcom BCM4906 NOT the BCM 6710 as stated: https://routerchart.com/asus/asus-rt-ax68u-rt-ax68u-377

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!