What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U DHCP Issues with Hue Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ItsAKerfuffle

New Around Here
Good morning! I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AX86U to replace a Netgear Nighthawk X4S. I have reasonably priced Gigabit internet in my area, so I upgraded to take advantage of the additional bandwidth and leverage WiFI 6. After setting up the ASUS, everything is working fine except for my Philips Hue v2 Bridge which is connected via LAN. Every device in the house is wireless except for the Hue Bridge. I have confirmed the cable is good using a laptop, the router port is good with the same test, and have also confirmed the Bridge functions without issue using my old router. My Netgear used the 192.168.1.x IP address range, while the ASUS uses 192.168.50.x by default.

From what I can tell, the ASUS router isn't assigning an IP to the Bridge via DHCP. I can see the physical connection in System Logs - General Log, but I never see a DHCP lease show up in System Logs - DHCP leases. Assuming it's possibly an issue with the new IP range, I tried modifying the LAN DHCP range from the default 192.168.50.x to 192.168.1.x, but the router says this is an invalid address (I used 192.168.1.2 for the IP Pool Starting Address).

Any ideas on what could be happening here? I am trying to avoid performing a factory reset on my Hue Bridge since that wipes the configuration, but will if I have to. Assuming I'm unable to modify the ASUS' DHCP IP range for LAN, I was planning on trying a factory reset of the router, and/or picking up a brand new Hue Bridge to test connectivity. Thanks in advance!

Assuming it's possibly an issue with the new IP range, I tried modifying the LAN DHCP range from the default 192.168.50.x to 192.168.1.x, but the router says this is an invalid address (I used 192.168.1.2 for the IP Pool Starting Address).
That shouldn't be an issue. That's the same address range I use on my RT-AX86U. Check your settings for typo's and make sure there aren't any conflicting manual assignments.

EDIT: IIRC you need to change the router's address first (LAN - LAN IP) before altering the DHCP pool (LAN - DHCP Server).

You will get that message if your WAN (or VPN) IP subnet conflicts with the LAN.

Last edited:
EDIT: IIRC you need to change the router's address first (LAN - LAN IP) before altering the DHCP pool (LAN - DHCP Server).
That did the trick, thank you! Even though I got the router to use the new IP pool, it still didn't resolve the issue. I ended up doing a factory reset on the Hue Bridge and eating the time to reconfigure everything. Works like a charm now!

That did the trick, thank you! Even though I got the router to use the new IP pool, it still didn't resolve the issue. I ended up doing a factory reset on the Hue Bridge and eating the time to reconfigure everything. Works like a charm now!
Hi, I am having the same issue, but all the 3 lights on on the bridge, but I am trying to connect to any bulbs, lights and sensor and it doesn’t find them in the app! This all work straight way when I set up my Tp link, but the ASUS is a nightmare. All my CCTV cameras are not working either since I installed the router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!