What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro - no WAN connectivity upon reboot when running in Dual-WAN/Load-Balance mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello_Bee

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have a new ASUS RT-AX86U Pro router - I am running it in Dual-WAN/Load-Balance mode.
I noticed that it does not have WAN Internet connectivity upon reboot/restart when running in this mode.
This issue is present in both the Merlin firmware as well as stock ASUS firmware and occurs ONLY when running the router in "Dual-WAN/Load-Balance" mode.

(See steps below to reproduce the problem and a workaround).

Upon rebooting the router, the devices can connect via WiFi and LAN to the router.
I can access the Web GUI of the router as well.
But the router does not have WAN Internet connectivity (web-browsing, ping, etc. does not work).
There is no indication of any error on the Web GUI either.

I have found a workaround for now.
Here are the steps to reproduce the problem and the workaround:

1. Login to the Web GUI of ASUS RT-AX86U Pro router.
2. Make sure that the router is configured in "Dual-WAN/Load-Balance" mode as follows:
WAN -> Dual WAN -> Primary WAN -> 1G WAN
WAN -> Dual WAN -> Secondary WAN -> 2.5G WAN
WAN -> Dual WAN -> Dual WAN Mode -> Load Balance
3. Ensure that both Primary and Secondary WAN are connected.
4. Reboot the router.
5. Upon reboot, connected devices will NOT have WAN Internet connectivity (i.e. you cannot ping or browse to any of the website on Internet) even though Web GUI shows all normal.
6. Login to Web GUI and Turn-OFF Primary WAN Internet Connection as follows:
Network MAP -> Primary WAN -> Internet Connection -> OFF
7. Wait about 10 seconds.
8. Now Turn-ON Primary WAN Internet Connection as follows:
Network MAP -> Primary WAN -> Internet Connection -> ON
9. Wait about 30 seconds.
10. All connected devices will now have WAN Internet connectivity.

This workaround is not feasible as a permanent solution as we all rely on the router to connect to Internet upon reboot.

Any and all help will be great appreciated. Thanks in adfance!

Put the router on a UPS and don't reboot it unless you are there to fix it.
It has been noted times before the Dual wan is buggy.

Asus Dual Wan is buggy, you can try to use the script from @Ranger802004, if you have Merlin and amtm:

This issue is present in both the Merlin firmware as well as stock ASUS firmware

Asuswrt-Merlin has no changes to stock Dual WAN. This Asuswrt feature is good for advertising purposes only.

Asus Dual Wan is buggy, you can try to use the script from @Ranger802004, if you have Merlin and amtm:

Thanks for the mention, yea there are some issues with Load Balancing Mode from ASUS and the most obvious being that it relies on FWMarking but doesn't create all of the rules correctly on startup for load balance mode. I have this corrected in my Dual WAN script mentioned above.

Please forgive my ignorance, but...
What's amtm?

Thanks for the mention, yea there are some issues with Load Balancing Mode from ASUS and the most obvious being that it relies on FWMarking but doesn't create all of the rules correctly on startup for load balance mode. I have this corrected in my Dual WAN script mentioned above.
Thanks for putting it out there. I have this bug as a pending issue with ASUS - I'll wait for their response before I attempt to install the Merlin firmware.

Please forgive my ignorance, but...
What's amtm?

amtm is a front end that manages popular scripts for wireless routers running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. Starting with Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15, amtm is included in the firmware.

Give a read on the links below:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

Nov 23 08:31:58 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:31:58 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!
Nov 23 08:32:01 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:32:01 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!
Nov 23 08:32:04 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:32:04 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!
Nov 23 08:32:07 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:32:07 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!

AX86U :(

Nov 23 08:31:58 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:31:58 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!
Nov 23 08:32:01 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:32:01 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!
Nov 23 08:32:04 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:32:04 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!
Nov 23 08:32:07 BWDPI: Don't support load-balance mode!
Nov 23 08:32:07 BWDPI: module is blocked, reason=5!

AX86U :(
Somehow a Trend Micro feature is enabled while in load balance mode. Make sure everything from QoS to AiProtect is turned off.

Somehow a Trend Micro feature is enabled while in load balance mode. Make sure everything from QoS to AiProtect is turned off.
To add to this, after disabling/turning off those features; one may also want to click the Withdraw button(s) on the Administration > Privacy page if that option is present on that page.

Everything is turned off. I checked it specifically.

To add to this, after disabling/turning off those features; one may also want to click the Withdraw button(s) on the Administration > Privacy page if that option is present on that page.

Yes, it helped.

You guys still have Privacy? We've got Policy! :)

Yeah it will depend on what firmware version they're running. Either Privacy or Policy. :)

RT-AX86U Pro - Privacy.jpg

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread, but I have followed the steps and installed the amtm module for this, but the exact same issue is still present, after a reboot the connection is down until I manually turn it off and back on.

I have also verified no QoS or AiProtection is enabled, and withdraw the privacy options.

I have also verified no QoS or AiProtection is enabled, and withdraw the privacy options.

This is unrelated to your Dual WAN issues. Asus has to fix the code, it's broken for years.

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread, but I have followed the steps and installed the amtm module for this, but the exact same issue is still present, after a reboot the connection is down until I manually turn it off and back on.

Do you happen to have a NTP Server running on your router? I noticed sometimes that service is stuck and not ready and will prevent dual WAN to work.

Do you happen to have a NTP Server running on your router? I noticed sometimes that service is stuck and not ready and will prevent dual WAN to work.
I don't and tried with and without, the same thing.

I managed to fix it by creating a script that runs at services-start and runs:
sleep 60
service restart_wan

No dual wan works in load balance every boot.

I don't and tried with and without, the same thing.

I managed to fix it by creating a script that runs at services-start and runs:
sleep 60
service restart_wan

No dual wan works in load balance every boot.
Could you try the Dual WAN script again collecting debug logs and opening up a GitHub issue?