What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Pro Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is perhaps already fixed in current Asuswrt. This is why you are getting better results.

Check @Smokey613 signature weekly for updates. He doesn't run the same hardware longer than a week.

yeah I'll look forward to the new Merlin update with hopefully the fix. Mean while I'll keep wireguard off and use a docker container for that service

You can see the dip in performance whilst I resolve the problem, it's very noticeable. The big dip down to 400 MB/s was me running wireguard and using SkyNet which I've turned both off now and getting the full 1GB/s now

You can also see the more green which is where the new PRO router is more stable and giving better performance

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 19.26.24.png

I've got a AX88U running merlin 388.1, when WG is turned on Flow Cache is disabled & I'm also seeing almost a 50% drop in internet speed :(

I instantly put Merlin on my Pro but I might go back to stock for now. Some notes:

My old AX82U had about 8-10 foot more range. Usually I can just about touch the gate at the end of driveway before my phone gets knocked off the Wifi but can't with the Pro.

Now granted this is with the basic config of having all 3 antennas pointing upward as shown in the AX-86U manual but the Pro doesn't have one that I could find. I can't see why 3 vertical wouldn't still be optimal for the Pro. I may try the 45 degress angle thing as the driveway is laterally below the router. Doubt that actually does anything though.

I also doubt changing to stock will increase wireless range but worth a try.

I think you found the problem. Turned off Wireguard and flow cache is enabled again. Thoughput appears much better, will monitor today in Grafana and update with results

Currently running on the AX86U Pro with Merlin 388.1 with both runner and flow cache enabled and looking better

It's my understanding that Asus is working on changes to the firmware that will make flow cache compatible with WireGuard so at some point in the future you won't suffer from the speed penalty.

Edit: And had you mentioned WireGuard in your first post we could have immediately solved the issue. I understand though that for most people mentioning WireGuard would have not crossed their minds as something that might be involved. Moral of the story...when seeking help be generous with information when explaining your configuration.

Last edited:
According to the 388.2_alpha-thread flowcache is reenabled with wireguard running, and the speed drop is fixed. :) Just wait patiently for RMerlin to release it when ready.

Riviera Cable 300/30 Mbps ( Primary ) / Brightspeed fiber 100/100 ( Seconday / Plex Server )
Firewalla Gold v2 Dual WAN Failover
2 - eero Pro Bridge mode - wired mesh
Hey @Tech9 …. the eero auto update bit me again! This last one just pushed out earlier this week caused my eero Pro to become unstable. I think that eero, like every other wireless router manufacturer has sacrificed their AC products so they can sell their latest/greatest devices.

I am back to using one of my AC86U units in AP mode for wifi duties.

It's my understanding that Asus is working on changes to the firmware that will make flow cache compatible with WireGuard so at some point in the future you won't suffer from the speed penalty.

Edit: And had you mentioned WireGuard in your first post we could have immediately solved the issue. I understand though that for most people mentioning WireGuard would have not crossed their minds as something that might be involved. Moral of the story...when seeking help be generous with information when explaining your configuration.

Yeah sorry I wasn't aware wireguard could impact the router, I understand if I was connected and using the VPN because the router might be working to process the traffic but not when its static with no client connections

Anyway it's not a big issue right now because I use WG in a container on my Intel NUC server. It would be nice to have a clean setup and have WG on the Asus one day

Hi

Has this issue with enabling WG and flow cache been resolved now please ?

Thanks
Could you elaborate on what exact issue you are inquiring about?

Based on my understanding this is the current status. I could be wrong though.

All AC routers except 86U (and one other model that escapes me right now): No hardware acceleration for both regular and WG traffic.

AC86U: Hardware acceleration for WAN traffic but not for WG traffic.

AX routers: Hardware acceleration for WAN traffic but not for WG traffic.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!