What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Random 2.4 Disconnections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StevieLCFC

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I've recently brought my a newer modem (Asus RT-AX86U - Merlin Latest Firmware) apart from using stock isp modems as my last modem the RT-AX82U wasn't supported by merlin, Anyway fast forward and there's a few 2.4ghz signal devices randomly disconnecting from the modem and if left alone eventually come back online in any given timeframe.

So my question is why does this happen? and Are there any simple little tweaks i can do to help resolve these issues?

Thanks In Advance

There have been some reported issues with Merlin 386.4 on the AX86U. While the 386.5 alpha 1 seems to work better I have gone back to Asus 300438646061 and my connections seem much more stable. I use Dual Band SmartConnect, 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz Auto channel, 5 GHz at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz Auto channel, WPA2-Personal with WPS disabled. The rest of the WIFI settings are at default. I do not use DFS channels as I have Roku devices which use WIFI remotes. I have one 2.4 GHz guest WIFI.
Asus or Merlin firmware these settings work well for me.

There have been some reported issues with Merlin 386.4 on the AX86U. While the 386.5 alpha 1 seems to work better I have gone back to Asus 300438646061 and my connections seem much more stable. I use Dual Band SmartConnect, 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz Auto channel, 5 GHz at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz Auto channel, WPA2-Personal with WPS disabled. The rest of the WIFI settings are at default. I do not use DFS channels as I have Roku devices which use WIFI remotes. I have one 2.4 GHz guest WIFI.
Asus or Merlin firmware these settings work well for me.
Hi, thanks for the reply

can i ask what actual version is 300438646061 as i'm on this link Asuswrt-Merlin - Browse /RT-AX86U/Release at SourceForge.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ignore This :), Just downloaded the stock firmware and realised that's what ur using

Update : Applied the stock firmware and used the settings @bbunge had given me, will update you in afew hours

Update : 12Hours later and things are going well, No issues at all. Thanks @bbunge

Last edited:
My Trendnet 2.4GHz N devices used to be dropped by AC66U & AC68U randomly until I disable beamformings. But strangely enough, enabling them on my AX11000 with the latest firmware (both official & Merlin) exhibits no such issue. I suggest you disable all non-essential features in the Professional tab and see if it helps. If it does, enable them one by one and see which causes the problem. Good luck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!