What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Wi-Fi 6 2.5G port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pege63

Very Senior Member
I wonder if the 2.5G port on the ASUS RT-AX86U Wi-Fi 6 can be used as a WAN port?
Or is it only activated using the DUAL WAN mode option and NOT ON the single WAN mode?

The price on the ASUS RT-AX86U Wi-Fi 6 is right now 2990 SEK
and the price on the ASUS RT-RT-AX82U Wi-Fi 6 is right now 1890 SEK.

Is it worth 1100 SEK more just for a 2.5G port if it cant be used as a WAN port?

Last edited:
If you have an ISP service with a single port connection that supports greater than 1GbE connections (many don't), then yes (it is worth it and it is possible on the RT-AX86U).

I wonder if the 2.5G port on the ASUS RT-AX86U Wi-Fi 6 can be used as a WAN port?
Or is it only activated using the DUAL WAN mode option and NOT ON the single WAN mode?
It is a bit confusing, because you have to select the 2.5G port from the Dual Wan tab, but you can select the 2.5G WAN port from the Dual Wan tab w/o turning dual WAN on, as per here. I haven't tested it, as my modem doesn't have a 2.5G port. My modem DOES have dual 1G ports, and the AX86U also supports link aggregation for the WAN connection. I haven't tested this, as my connection is only 480Mbps.

Is it worth 1100 SEK more just for a 2.5G port if it cant be used as a WAN port?

I am using link aggregation from my Motorola MB8600 to wan aggregation of the AX86U. There's an option to use the 2.5 gig port for wan. Some of the new modems have a 2.5 gig Ethernet port.

Attachments

• 2.5 wan.png
    2.5 wan.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 510
It is a bit confusing, because you have to select the 2.5G port from the Dual Wan tab, but you can select the 2.5G WAN port from the Dual Wan tab w/o turning dual WAN on, as per here. I haven't tested it, as my modem doesn't have a 2.5G port. My modem DOES have dual 1G ports, and the AX86U also supports link aggregation for the WAN connection. I haven't tested this, as my connection is only 480Mbps.

Yes it is, that's why i posted this question.
The link was very helpful, could not find that in the manual.
Are there any 3rd part firmware for this two routers?

Are there any 3rd part firmware for this two routers?
Yes, there's Merlin's firmware for the AX86, I'm not aware of any for the 82, but I don't have that model, so I'm not the best person to ask.

I am not sure of the dual WAN, I tested the Surfboard 8200 1G port connect to 2.5G WAN on the Asus AX86, it does not work. It will work as an expensive gigabit ethernet port and will downgrade to 1G if you connect a LAN device to it. I am sure it will work with NAS device that can support client-side 2.5G Ethernet port connection.

Looks like I am going to have to spring for a new modem, leaning toward a MB 8611. Would the 2.5G port be beneficial with a 1Gb/s upload AND download? Fiber line is coming this summer to my house through the electric power association and I'm planning to sign up. Or is the 2.5G only beneficial for a line with greater than 1Gb/s download?
And does anybody have an opinion on Motorola modems? Looks good on paper and fairly decent reviews. I have a Netgear CM1000 that may be on last legs.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!