What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Wired Speed Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lostclusters

New Around Here
I have recently noticed a speed issue on a wired connection to my router. The connection goes from my newish alienware laptop, ac powered, via fuji labs 24awg cat.8 s/ftp cable (these cables are used throughout) to a qnap 2.5 Gb/s unmanaged switch, from the switch to the 2.5 Gb/s lan port configured as lan on the router. The router's wan is connected to a fiber gateway with 1Gb/s connection. I have no qos or anything ai settings enabled. IPv6 is enabled because I read somewhere that limiting from the router is not enabled with ipv6 enabled. Nat is enabled and a few ports forwarded for my synology nas. The nas remains off most of the time.

The issue I have notice is that while d/l'g from my usenet provider I only get a maximum of 369 bps behind my router, mostly. On rare occasions it will hit 500 - 650 bps. If I unplug from the switch/router and go directly to the gateway I get 500 - 700 bps consistently. I have bypassed the switch and plugged directly to the router and speeds remain the same as connected to the switch. I have checked the cpu utilization under network map system status/ status tab, while d/l'g and utilization is almost nil. I am on the most current firmware (3.0.0.4.388_23285) and I have also done a factory reset via the admin >restore/save/upload setting tab, restore option. I have rebuilt the router with the most minimal settings and retested the speed and the results were the same. As you may have determined I am not your average user and I am fairly certain it is the router causing the issue, but the question is why? The router is obsessively limiting my speeds even though it should not be. This is supposed to be a fairly high end router and it is way less than a year old. I have submitted feedback to asus via the feedback option in the router a couple of days ago. I am tempted to try Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. I am also tempted to try a gt-ax6000.

Did I miss something? Is there anything else I could/should do?

Very frustrated

I have recently noticed a speed issue on a wired connection to my router. The connection goes from my newish alienware laptop, ac powered, via fuji labs 24awg cat.8 s/ftp cable (these cables are used throughout) to a qnap 2.5 Gb/s unmanaged switch, from the switch to the 2.5 Gb/s lan port configured as lan on the router. The router's wan is connected to a fiber gateway with 1Gb/s connection. I have no qos or anything ai settings enabled. IPv6 is enabled because I read somewhere that limiting from the router is not enabled with ipv6 enabled. Nat is enabled and a few ports forwarded for my synology nas. The nas remains off most of the time.

The issue I have notice is that while d/l'g from my usenet provider I only get a maximum of 369 bps behind my router, mostly. On rare occasions it will hit 500 - 650 bps. If I unplug from the switch/router and go directly to the gateway I get 500 - 700 bps consistently. I have bypassed the switch and plugged directly to the router and speeds remain the same as connected to the switch. I have checked the cpu utilization under network map system status/ status tab, while d/l'g and utilization is almost nil. I am on the most current firmware (3.0.0.4.388_23285) and I have also done a factory reset via the admin >restore/save/upload setting tab, restore option. I have rebuilt the router with the most minimal settings and retested the speed and the results were the same. As you may have determined I am not your average user and I am fairly certain it is the router causing the issue, but the question is why? The router is obsessively limiting my speeds even though it should not be. This is supposed to be a fairly high end router and it is way less than a year old. I have submitted feedback to asus via the feedback option in the router a couple of days ago. I am tempted to try Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. I am also tempted to try a gt-ax6000.

Did I miss something? Is there anything else I could/should do?

Very frustrated
Have you tried one of the 1 GB switch ports on the router? I seem to remember something about the 2.5 GB switch port not being up to snuff. I am, however, using the 2.5 GB port for backhaul with CAT5e cable to the AiMesh node and it works OK but I have not tested the bandwidth. Could also be your cable in spite of it being CAT8.

IPv6 is enabled because I read somewhere that limiting from the router is not enabled with ipv6 enabled.

You've read something somewhere, but perhaps didn't understand well what was written. With IPv6 enabled both Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter are broken in 388_23285 firmware. The same in previous 388_22525. Do not enable firmware options you don't need. What else you experimented with?

I am not your average user

Okay.

Have you tried one of the 1 GB switch ports on the router? I seem to remember something about the 2.5 GB switch port not being up to snuff. I am, however, using the 2.5 GB port for backhaul with CAT5e cable to the AiMesh node and it works OK but I have not tested the bandwidth. Could also be your cable in spite of it being CAT8.
Second paragraph, third sentence. And if it were the cable the, I would not get a higher transfer rate when moving the cable from the router/switch to the gateway.

Last edited:
You've read something somewhere, but perhaps didn't understand well what was written. With IPv6 enabled both Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter are broken in 388_23285 firmware. The same in previous 388_22525. Do not enable firmware options you don't need. What else you experimented with?

Okay.
I am going to nice and not reciprocate. But limiting my bandwidth is exactly what I do not want. And yes I read that they were broken. And no I do not enable option I do not need.

Wow, some folks here are grumpy!

No idea what Usenet provider you are connecting to and if bits per second speeds are good or bad, sorry. With the information provided you'll be asked to reboot and reset countless times shortly. Stay tuned. I have an AX86U as well as @bbunge and many others. It does Gigabit WAN no problem.

Second paragraph, third sentence. And if it were the cable the, I would not get a higher transfer rate when moving the cable from the router/switch to the gateway.
Yes, it could still be the cable or the cable in a specific port. While the cables connectors are well standardized you can still get a poor connection or a poorly made and tested cable. Always worth the effort to try another cable.
Guess I'm just lucky as I make up my own cables and just do a continuity test. And they work fine for me!

could be a port issue on the router. Try different ports.
Do you need IPV6 ? if not, turn it off.

No idea what Usenet provider you are connecting to and if bits per second speeds are good or bad, sorry. With the information provided you'll be asked to reboot and reset countless times shortly. Stay tuned. I have an AX86U as well as @bbunge and many others. It does Gigabit WAN no problem.
Usenet or News Groups are mainly used to acquire binaries like movies and software. But there are other things there as well. I am not surprised you do not know about them as they are rather old school. I was lucky enough to be schooled on their use a long time ago. With a good provider, good bandwidth, and good equipment, one can d/l a 70 GB file/movie in about 15-20 min. It is one of the few places to put your d/l capabilities to the test. 500 - 700 bps is very good. I do not know anywhere else to really test. Ookla tells me I should be getting better speeds behind my router. But to get 500 - 700 bps from the usenets I have to get in front of my router.

Yes, it could still be the cable or the cable in a specific port. While the cables connectors are well standardized you can still get a poor connection or a poorly made and tested cable. Always worth the effort to try another cable.
Guess I'm just lucky as I make up my own cables and just do a continuity test. And they work fine for me!
I tried 4 different cables and every port on the router and switch. No joy.

I am not surprised you do not know about them

I do actually and my post above has hidden question in it. I know what it is mainly used for and was waiting for your answer. Even though I have an idea what the problem might be - you have to figure it out yourself. I have suspicions you are talking about sharing illegal content and I won't participate in this discussion. You have no speed issue with the router. You have speed issue with specific downloads.

I AM SORRY, I made a mistake. When said 500 - 700 bps I should have said Mbps. Like wise 369 bps should be 369 Mbps. My appologies for any confusion this may have cause. I guess I was so focused on getting all my troubleshooting correct annotated I must have over looked that detail.

Again, my apologies.

I do actually and my post above has hidden question in it. I know what it is mainly used for and was waiting for your answer. Even though I have an idea what the problem might be - you have to figure it out yourself. I have suspicions you are talking about sharing illegal content and I won't participate in this discussion. You have no speed issue with the router. You have speed issue with specific downloads.
Oh, thanks for help

yeah, if there is any illegal file sharing going on that violates IP, then this is the last you will get from this forum as it is explicitly not acceptable and we can not allow the forum to become liable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!