What's new

Asus RT-ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pb9

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I am experiencing random disconnects with my new Asus RT-AX86U. Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_46061 . Tried to change channels and bandwidth.
1)Disabled Smartconnect
2)WPS Disabled
3)Reset the Router and set it up again
4)2.4 GHz set to channel 2. Bandwidth is default(20/40)
5)SSIDs are different between 2.4 and 5 GHz
6)Authentication is WPA2 -Personal
7)Tried disabling Guest network

Attached a doc with my settings. Any help will be appreciated. I was so impressed with this router which worked fine for the first three days and then fell apart. Thinking of returning it if I cannot resolve the issues. Thanks.

Attachments

• RouterIssues.pdf
    170.4 KB · Views: 105
Hello,
I am experiencing random disconnects with my new Asus RT-AX86U. Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_46061 . Tried to change channels and bandwidth.
1)Disabled Smartconnect
2)WPS Disabled
3)Reset the Router and set it up again
4)2.4 GHz set to channel 2. Bandwidth is default(20/40)
5)SSIDs are different between 2.4 and 5 GHz
6)Authentication is WPA2 -Personal
7)Tried disabling Guest network

Attached a doc with my settings. Any help will be appreciated. I was so impressed with this router which worked fine for the first three days and then fell apart. Thinking of returning it if I cannot resolve the issues. Thanks.

Client disconnects? WAN/Internet disconnects? If you view the WiFi signals with a WiFi Analyzer app, do they appear healthy/steady?

After you reset the router, did you load saved settings from file?

Your settings are not bad; I would set the 2.4 bandwidth to 20 MHz to help avoid other WiFi. And set the 5.0 bandwidth to 80 MHz... lessor clients will connect at their lower bw and you'll never get 160 MHz bw with DFS deselected (which is OK for now).

My preferred settings are in my install notes.

OE

As the previous posted asked, WiFi, ethernet or both? If only WiFi, which band or both?

For the 2.4GHz band I would disable WiFi 6 mode. As the text says, there may be compatibility issues and most people do not have any ax clients on that band anyway.

Client disconnects? WAN/Internet disconnects? If you view the WiFi signals with a WiFi Analyzer app, do they appear healthy/steady?

After you reset the router, did you load saved settings from file?

Your settings are not bad; I would set the 2.4 bandwidth to 20 MHz to help avoid other WiFi. And set the 5.0 bandwidth to 80 MHz... lessor clients will connect at their lower bw and you'll never get 160 MHz bw with DFS deselected (which is OK for now).

My preferred settings are in my install notes.

OE
Thanks for the response. It is the client that is disconnecting. So when I am on a Microsoft Teams call and if someone starts browsing on another laptop or if they browse on the phone, Teams gets disconnected for a few seconds(5 seconds to 10 seconds to reconnect, sometimes more).
After I reset the router, I didn't load any file( I had not saved anything)

As the previous posted asked, WiFi, ethernet or both? If only WiFi, which band or both?

For the 2.4GHz band I would disable WiFi 6 mode. As the text says, there may be compatibility issues and most people do not have any ax clients on that band anyway.
WiFi only. 2.4 GHz is where I am having the biggest issue. I am going to try and disable the WiFi 6 mode. Thank you

I recommend you use Dual Band Smart Connect. Use WIFI defaults except set 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and disable WPS. WPA2-Personal is OK. Don't use DSF channels at first and leave the WIFI channels at Auto. Yes, trust your router to choose the best channels! Also use QOS if your internet bandwidth is less than 500 Meg. and set the QOS Adaptive to 95 % of tested bandwidth. Use the Custom QOS settings and put work from home/learn from home at the top.

There is an issue with the wifi for this router which has yet to be resolved. You're not the first one to see this and probably not the last. Here's the other thread which starts out with the same issue:

Personal opinion, return or exchange the router for another AX86U or move on to another model.

The fact that you're running the latest firmware and this isn't resolved doesn't give me much hope for my AX86U.

Check your system log. You'll probably see multiple associate, disassociate, disconnect log entries.

There is an issue with the wifi for this router which has yet to be resolved. You're not the first one to see this and probably not the last. Here's the other thread which starts out with the same issue:

Personal opinion, return or exchange the router for another AX86U or move on to another model.

The fact that you're running the latest firmware and this isn't resolved doesn't give me much hope for my AX86U.

Check your system log. You'll probably see multiple associate, disassociate, disconnect log entries.
Exactly right about the system log. Every time I access a website from a phone or another device, it disconnects my teams calls. I disabled wifi 6 for 2.4GHz and followed other recommendations above but no luck.

That leads me to a question - I looked at what the recommended routers are in this forum and AX86U seems to be the number 1 router recommended(or close). That's why I decided to buy this router and went through a whole week of pain, assuming I was using the wrong settings and it wasn't the router.

Why is this still being recommended despite so many connection issues?

Why is this still being recommended despite so many connection issues?

How many connection issues... how many reported for MS Teams?

OE

I recommend you use Dual Band Smart Connect. Use WIFI defaults except set 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and disable WPS. WPA2-Personal is OK. Don't use DSF channels at first and leave the WIFI channels at Auto. Yes, trust your router to choose the best channels! Also use QOS if your internet bandwidth is less than 500 Meg. and set the QOS Adaptive to 95 % of tested bandwidth. Use the Custom QOS settings and put work from home/learn from home at the top.
Tried this and still have the same issues. Thanks

Not just MS Teams though. It is basically every device. I just highlighted MS Teams because that's the most frustrating for me.

Got any cordless devices around operating on the 2.4 band?

OE

This is embarrassing. Just updated the driver for my wireless card. If this was the issue(and I hope this was the issue), I apologize for wasting everyone's time. Appreciate all your inputs.
1644944827479.png

This is embarrassing. Just updated the driver for my wireless card. If this was the issue(and I hope this was the issue), I apologize for wasting everyone's time. Appreciate all your inputs.
View attachment 39506
Sometimes it is the simple things! I have a friend who turns off auto upgrade on everything then complains about things not working.
Very few upgrades are problematic and the fixes outweigh the occasional problem.
Oh, Intel does have an app to keep their drivers up to date.

No cordless devices. Only cell phones, fire tv, roku tv which seem to be causing the disconnections.

Is the Roku broadcasting its own WiFi Direct AP?

OE

No, I don't see it in the Available networks. The connection is still dropping though so the driver update didn't fix it unfortunately. Good to rule that out though.

No, I don't see it in the Available networks. The connection is still dropping though so the driver update didn't fix it unfortunately. Good to rule that out though.

Unplug the Roku TV and see if the problem persists.

OE

So, I updated the wireless card with the latest driver and still had issues. I did a reset of the router and have been on calls for more than an hour and have had no issues. The Roku TV is on and has not caused any issues.
After the reset I left everything at the default settings except the following
1)WPS is disabled
2)2.4 GHz set to channel 1
3)802.11ax is disabled in 2.4 GHz
4)QoS is disabled
5)Guest network is disabled

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!