What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U and TOOB Broadband (UK)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daveo

Regular Contributor
Hi.

I've recently switched ISP to TOOB and I have a static IP address.

I see the router shows my static IP address.

So do I leave the router in Dynamic IP (DHCP) mode on WAN, or switch it to Static IP mode on WAN ?

Everything is working with WAN set to Dynamic IP, but my American friend said that I should be setting the WAN to Static IP, as he said they have to set a static IP on their switch to get the internet to work.

That would depend on what your ISP recommends. It sounds like your static IP address is being advertised by their DHCP server so you could probably use either method. But best to check with your ISP just in case they're doing something that's not obvious.

Your American friend's experience is not relevant here because he's not using your ISP.

In the UK we generally leave it where it was - in your case automatic ip.
Not to say it won't work, but your provider's PoP/BNG/Provisioning Server may object to being told what to do.

OK, thank you.

I'm also suppose to have near to 900M up & down, but getting no where near this.

Speedtest is...
Screenshot 2023-10-03 233108.png

Any settings I need to change on the router ?

I've removed FlexQoS, and the router's Adaptive QoS is set as follows...

Screenshot 2023-10-03 232907.png

Any settings I need to change on the router ?
I've removed FlexQoS, and the router's Adaptive QoS is set as follows...
Disable QoS completely as well as AiProtection then go to Administration - Privacy and withdraw all consents there. Then test again.

Disable QoS completely as well as AiProtection then go to Administration - Privacy and withdraw all consents there. Then test again.
Done that and it's worst...

Screenshot 2023-10-04 000219.png

The service was only installed yesterday, so could it take a few days to settle down, or am I missing something else ?

The service was only installed yesterday, so could it take a few days to settle down, or am I missing something else ?
Making those changes may not improve things but it shouldn't have made things worse. So I'd say it's either an ISP issue, or possibly the speedtest site you're using.

Can you ask your ISP to check the line? Ask them about your static IP configuration at the same time. ;)

I will do when they open in the morning.

The speedtest site I'm using is speedtest.net.

Did you reboot the router after withdrawing consent? Have you tried selecting a different local server in the speed test? I've had problems with that Zoom server before.

I haven't rebooted router, as I wasn't told that was needed.

I have a ticket in with my ISP regarding the speeds not being anywhere close to 900Mbps up & down.

Toob fibre was installed and activated yesterday afternoon.

Do I need to allow time for things to settle down ?

Reboot the router then let it settle for 10 minutes - that's all the time it needs.

OK.

With time to settle, it was regarding the fibre installation. Does it need a few days to settle down, as I know sometimes Cable & ADSL do need a few days to settle down speed wise.

The first speedtest was using Lit Fibre Group Ltd, second one was Zzoomm PLC.

With time to settle, it was regarding the fibre installation. Does it need a few days to settle down, as I know sometimes Cable & ADSL do need a few days to settle down speed wise.
No, there's no "settling time" with FTTP like there was with Openreach ADSL.

No, it doesn't need any time for full fibre to settle. It used to be with fttc that the DSLAM needed some time to "tune" to your line but you don't need to do that on fibre.
You should be getting what you ordered from the get-go.

TOOB have replied to my ticket via phone call, and said that if I'm using my own router then they are unable to fault find the speed issue, as I'm not using their supplied router (Linksys SPNMX42).

TOOB have replied to my ticket via phone call, and said that if I'm using my own router then they are unable to fault find the speed issue, as I'm not using their supplied router (Linksys SPNMX42).
Wouldn't it be be worth using the linksys just while they run their tests? Your asus should be okay in double NAT for a few days surely?

Last edited:
I have no idea how to setup Double NAT, plus I have no spare power socket near PC and the sockets are not easily accessible.

I have rebooted the ASUS router and changed over the Cat6 cable between router and their FIbre wall box.

Speeds now...
Screenshot 2023-10-04 162607.png

Just connect your asus WAN to one of the linksys LANs and change the asus WAN settings to dhcp (or use QIS if you're not sure about messing with the WAN)
Edit: Turn off the linksys wifi too

Then just swap over to using their router temporarily to see if the speeds are the same. If they are then it's an ISP issue. If they aren't then it's an Asus issue.

After changing some of my network cables, ensuring that they were all Cat6 minimum, my speeds are now...

Main PC... 747Mbps down & 524Mbps up (Speedtest server: Lit Fibre Group Ltd, Slough)
Second PC... 872Mbps down & 667Mbps up (Speedtest server: Iomart, Maidenhead)

I've yet to do the following two tests...
Computer > Toob Supplied Router > Toob Fibre Wall Box
Computer > Toob Fibre Wall Box

These tests will be done hopefully later today or tomorrow (as I need help with moving a cupboard in front of the Toob Fibre Box, so that I can gain access to the ports on the bottom).

It is looking to be an issue with the Main PC only. I have uninstalled & reinstalled the network card, but short of reinstalling the system, which I'm reluctant to do due to the time it takes to reinstall everything, any other ideas that I can try along with the two tests I've already mentioned that I'm going to do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!