What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20518 (2022/08/30)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
Version 3.0.0.4.388.20518
2022/08/30 64.27 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20518

1. Fixed WAN link aggregation UI issue.
2. Improved AiMesh stability.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX88U/FW_RT_AX88U_300438820518.zip

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: a21d19935e3531d5da01ec853b3bf690
I have updated over GUI when prompted about the availability of the new update. Appears to be working OK for the last 10 minutes:)

I have so many customizations of the current code - is there a way to "gracefully migrate" to the new code?

Download the firmware you're currently using. Create a backup config file of the current settings. Also, save a copy of the JFFS partition. Store these in a safe place.

Flash the new firmware. Monitor your network, and make specific tests as you deem necessary. Only After the new firmware has been running for at least 15 minutes, the router has been rebooted, then left running again for at least an hour, then rebooted (and allowed to fully reboot ~10+ minutes) once more, would I be testing.

If any issues arise, and googling for these issues doesn't resolve them in a timely manner, the most direct path to a stable router/network should be a full reset at that point. Or, use the backup files you created above to get the network back to where it is now.

Depending on how complicated your customizations are currently, and whether the new code still supports (fully) those customizations, you may have smooth sailing or you may not.

The only way to know is by doing the above (and here, I'm assuming the new firmware itself isn't recommending a full reset after it is installed either (in the release notes).

I saw my router flashing the yellow exclamation mark so I started the update and came here to read about it.

Running solidly here.

Steady Pom pi pi - for my Singaporean friend.

It will be interesting to see whether Merlin can get more than two concurrent WireGuard connections out of 388.x or whether this is some sort of h/w limitation.

After the new firmware has been running for at least 15 minutes, the router has been rebooted, then left running again for at least an hour, then rebooted (and allowed to fully reboot ~10+ minutes) once more, would I be testing.

Really ??

Flash the new firmware. Monitor your network, and make specific tests as you deem necessary. Only After the new firmware has been running for at least 15 minutes, the router has been rebooted, then left running again for at least an hour, then rebooted (and allowed to fully reboot ~10+ minutes) once more, would I be testing.
I'm sorry, but this is complete nonsense. Users don't need to wait an HOUR after flashing a router to start using and testing it. The flash + reboot will be completed within 5-7 minutes, and that's including a possible one minute delay for DFS channel testing if you are using DFS channels. There is absolutely nothing the firmware does that would take an hour, not even 10 minutes. The only time in 10+ years that Asuswrt needed a long period of time following an upgrade was the notification center database upgrade around the time of the 384 to 386 upgrade.

Yes, that is correct. Nonsense.

Of course, what I meant to write is to test it again (if needed) once more then.

Sorry for the mistyping. It sounds correct in my native language.

Honestly this reminds me of cooking.

Everyone on SNBforums has their own recipes for cooking, some recipes are considered homey, some are very unpalatable.

Maybe customers will be interested in a certain recipe, maybe not, but the good thing is that we have a lot of "furnitures" that can provide customers with different options.

Factory reset after every update is what I've seen the most here, and I can say that it does solve the problem in some cases, as most newcomers don't really find bugs in the firmware. more cases are problems caused by improper configuration, reset gave them a chance to start over.

Reset, reboot, backup, flash, format JFFS, or just upgrade, we have so many ways to make our routers delicious.

That's why I love SNBforums, every senior member tries to help members who are having problems in whatever way they see fit, even though some of the methods are sometimes overkill or not necessary, but they are all enthusiastic and committed to make it useful and solve problems.

I don't like eating the same food all the time, and to be honest, if it's the end of the world, then my biggest fear is eating the same cans every day, which will make me want to die.

So, keep your way, you all do a great job, really, and your dishes helped me when I was a new member, I mean all of you, so thank you guys, keep doing it.

At the end of the world, I'll be in a bunker I built myself, eating the routers you cook, not the same cans.

Did you perform the update over wireless, or a wired connection?
ryan806,
  • For this particular upgrade I did from my MacBookPro that has Ethernet connection, I login to the router to do Firmware check & upgrade.
  • In the past I have also occasionally did the Firmware Check and Upgrade from my iOS Asus Router App
  • As the Upgrade is done from the Asus Router, I thought it should not matter if MacBookPro or iPhone is connected wirelessly.
Not sure if that answers your question.

Only a firmware recovery requires a wired connection.

I have been doing firmware updates wirelessly for years - never had a problem.

Did you perform the update over wireless, or a wired connection?

I prefer uploading checked(sum) firmware from a PC wired to the router LAN, all on a UPS... I figure this is the most control and least chance of something disrupting a flash process that should not be disrupted. And when weird things happen like they eventually do regardless of the upload method, I'm fairly confident it has something to do with the router hardware/firmware and nothing to do with the upload method, and can proceed from there.

And since a firmware reset is often performed afterward for a clean install, I don't have to mess with reconnecting to default WiFi.

OE

Over the past ten years, I must have flashed firmwares over wifi close to a hundred times, without any problem.

Keep in mind that the flashing process only begins once the upload is completed, and that file gets checked before being written to flash. So if something happened during the wireless transfer, then the firmware will not be written to flash.

In short: flashing over wifi is perfectly safe.

I usually download the firmware and manually flash it via a wired connection, first time flashing over wireless was much quicker I think I will stick to that for future updates.

Hi,

I was going through the GUI, I noticed that Active USB 3.0 is shown correctly as active (connected) in this Release.

The issue was raised and discussed here in another thread
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...388-20477-2022-08-09.80250/page-2#post-783017

Screenshot 2022-09-14 at 22.35.28.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!