What's new

Asus RT-AX88U flashed with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 384.14 is not advertising the 5GHz wireless netwo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mpleasan88

Occasional Visitor
I flashed a new Asus RT-AX88U router from Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756 to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.14. Since flashing to the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware, the 5GHz wireless network has not advertised. The 2.4GHz is advertised and I can connect to it. The router also doesn't advertise when the 802.11x/WiFi 6 model is disabled.

I've flashed back to Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756 and, then, the older Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.13 but the 5GHz wireless didn't advertised. I, then, flashed back to Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756 and back to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.14. The 5GHz wireless still doesn't advertise. For those of you who read my thread on Github, I thought I had flashed back to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.14 and that the 5GHz wireless network was advertising but I hadn't flashed back to the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. So, the 5GHz wireless network has never worked with the Asuswrt-Merlin on my Asus RT-AX88U router.

Has anyone experience this problem and found a fix? I've attached the wireless setting.

Attachments

• Asus RT-AX88U (5GHz Wireless Settings).png
    Asus RT-AX88U (5GHz Wireless Settings).png
    351.5 KB · Views: 553
  • Asus RT-AX88U (2.4GHz Wireless Settings).png
    Asus RT-AX88U (2.4GHz Wireless Settings).png
    347.3 KB · Views: 430
Has anyone experience this problem and found a fix?
Did you perform a reset and then manually configure the router between flashing different FW sources? Is the 5G LED On or off?

I flashed a new Asus RT-AX88U router from Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756 to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.14. Since flashing to the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware, the 5GHz wireless network has not advertised. The 2.4GHz is advertised and I can connect to it. The router also doesn't advertise when the 802.11x/WiFi 6 model is disabled.

I've flashed back to Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756 and, then, the older Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.13 but the 5GHz wireless didn't advertised. I, then, flashed back to Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756 and back to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.14. The 5GHz wireless still doesn't advertise. For those of you who read my thread on Github, I thought I had flashed back to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version 384.14 and that the 5GHz wireless network was advertising but I hadn't flashed back to the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. So, the 5GHz wireless network has never worked with the Asuswrt-Merlin on my Asus RT-AX88U router.

Has anyone experience this problem and found a fix? I've attached the wireless setting.

I would re-download stock firmware (confirm MD5), reset, flash it, reset, and take a look. If no radio, call Asus for an RMA.

OE

manually select control channel for 5Ghz and you should be able to see 5Ghz
it's an odd behavior for ax88 w/ merlin's firmware

Last edited:
Did you perform a reset and then manually configure the router between flashing different FW sources? Is the 5G LED On or off?

If I recall, the router retained the configuration from the Asus stock firmware. The 5GHz wireless network works with the stock firmware. The 5GHz LED is off with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware running on the Asus RT-AX88U router. I'll try your suggestion.

I would re-download stock firmware (confirm MD5), reset, flash it, reset, and take a look. If no radio, call Asus for an RMA.

OE

The 5GHz wireless network works with the stock firmware so I haven't requested a RMA. Could there still be a hardware problem if the 5GHz wireless network works with the stock firmware? Does Asus still provide support when a router has been flashed with Asuswrt-Merlin or is the warranty vowed? I will try your suggest.

manually select control channel for 5Ghz and you should be able to see 5Ghz
it's an odd behavior for ax88 w/ merlin's firmware
It works when the Control Channel is selected manually. The 5GHz LED is on and I can connect to the network. Is this a known issue when Control Channel is set to Auto or is it an issue with certain routers? Wow, thanks this was a tough one.

It works when the Control Channel is selected manually. The 5GHz LED is on and I can connect to the network. Is this a known issue when Control Channel is set to Auto or is it an issue with certain routers? Wow, thanks this was a tough one.
When in auto, what channel is it using? It's probably using one of the DFS channel that your clients wireless does not support therefore it can't see it.

When in auto, what channel is it using? It's probably using one of the DFS channel that your clients wireless does not support therefore it can't see it.
It was using Channel 36 and I manually selected Channel 36. I also tested other channels and it worked with those channels also.