What's new

Asus RT-AX88U is struggling with DHCP on WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

I'm having a lot of issues with my Asus RT-AX88U running 384.13 and DHCP on WAN.

I've been moving a lot lately due to evacuation from my house so my Asus RT-AX88U has been connected to a lot of different ISP devices and it's giving me a really hard time with DHCP on WAN.

When connected to a Sagemcom 3890v3 I had to spend 1-2 hours for it to finally pick up a IP using DHCP on the WAN connection. And I lost the WAN connection 1-2 times every 1-2 days. Didn't matter if the 3890v3 was in bridge mode or not. After a dialogue with my ISP I received the older Sagemcom 3886 and I had the same issues but after putting the 3886 in bride mode it finally stabilised.

Now we have moved once more and I brought my Huawei HG8245H GPON router from my home and connected it as this is a GPON/Fiber connection from the same ISP as I have at home. Everything worked without issues, but do to moving my HG8245H it got a new provision so it was no longer in bridge mode and I cannot activate bridge mode myself.

After being in contact with my ISP they did not allow me to use my old HG8245H for whatever reason so they installed a Huawei HG8010H which is a pure GPON bridge, connected to a Inteno EG450 and for some reason I can't simply connect my Asus RT-AX88U directly to the HG8010H so I have to connect to the Inteno EG450. But here we are again, I'm not getting any IP when using DHCP on WAN. Doesn't matter if the EG450 is running in bridge-mode or not.

After having so much issues with DHCP on WAN on both DOCSIS and GPON, from two different ISP's connected to so many different devices I'm hard pressed to blame the ISP and their devices.

What might be the reason why DHCP on WAN is behaving in such a way? I have tried to run both normal and aggressive mode, I have tried re-enabling WAN, I have tried to spoof the MAC-address of the Inteno EG450 and connect the RT-AX88U directly to the HG8010H but nothing works.

May 5 07:37:29 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link up.

May 5 07:37:29 rc_service: wanduck 1059:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0

May 5 07:37:29 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_if 0" via wanduck ...

May 5 07:37:39 rc_service: skip the event: restart_wan_if 0.

May 5 07:37:39 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

May 5 07:37:42 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) (phyId: c) Link DOWN.

May 5 07:37:47 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) (phyId: c) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

May 5 07:37:49 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link up.

May 5 07:37:49 rc_service: wanduck 1059:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0

May 5 07:37:49 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_if 0" via wanduck ...

May 5 07:37:59 rc_service: skip the event: restart_wan_if 0.

May 5 07:39:19 rc_service: httpds 1132:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0;restart_stubby

May 5 07:39:19 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_if 0" via wanduck ...

May 5 07:39:34 rc_service: skip the event: restart_wan_if 0;restart_stubby.

Those Ethernet Link down/up messages seem to indicate a problem with the Ethernet cable, port, or the modem itself is rebooting (causing its own port to go down during the process).

Aside from changing the cable, you might try putting an inexpensive switch between the modem and the router.

Those messages was because I removed and re-attached the cable as I was trying to trigger a ip renewal. I seem to have been able to get it stabilised. I was able to connect directly to the GPON Bridge (HG8010H) by applying vlan id 10 (I localised the tags used on the EG450) and spoof the mac address from the Inteno EG450. Upon reboot or reconnecting the cable it will claim isp dhcp is not functioning correctly but after 2-3 minutes it’s able to get an ip address and it has kept it without issues so far.

I’m in dialogue with my ISP to get my static IPv4 address and IPv6 scope routed to my new location instead of my evacuated house which will bypass DHCP altogether.

Have you tried putting it into bridge mode?

I'll see if the same bypass into the administration menus work on your sagecom, I had to do it to extract VoIP details on mine.