What's new

Asus RT-N56U Is this the router for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So long as anyone reading this thread knows that 500Mbps Homeplugs are still cheaper than 270Mbps MoCA products (which in no way invalidates the clear and helpful information from RogerSC about the MoCA price-drop on Amazon).

And that these numbers are maximum PHY rates over two different media. Real-world application throughput is therefore much lower and not directly comparable between the two.

So long as anyone reading this thread knows that 500Mbps Homeplugs are still cheaper than 270Mbps MoCA products (which in no way invalidates the clear and helpful information from RogerSC about the MoCA price-drop on Amazon).

That was me noting the prices, which RogerSC commented on.

So long as anyone reading this thread knows that 500Mbps Homeplugs are still cheaper than 270Mbps MoCA products

With both products YMMV due to wiring.

And that these numbers are maximum PHY rates over two different media. Real-world application throughput is therefore much lower and not directly comparable between the two.

Of course this would be known when reading my posts.

Whatever you're smoking Shikami, I want some for Christmas! :D

I hope OP gets his Asus too of course :) If not this year, then maybe next!

Yeah you guys though me way off, I am just looking for a good Router. More suggestions so I can research please

Ok Guys I am going crazy here, I need some help can you rate these? The Belkin seems nice with a good price.

Asus RT-N56U

Belkin N750 Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router

Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router

I don't want to really keep swapping routers, I am looking for a strong performer that will last, I Know even great routers can have problems from time to time.

How Do the Refurbished one work ( I mean Should I avoid them or are they pretty much like new )?

Routers from the top companies (Cisco,NETGEAR,D-Link) are more alike than different. What one person likes, another hates and there are sometimes design choices that make one model perform more reliably than another with certain ISPs.

The best advice I can give is be prepared to try a few until you find the one you like. Cisco's refurbs are like-new with 90 day warranty

I buy refurb product all the time and they are a good way to save money. And buying refurb direct from the manufacturer is a no-risk deal.

Last edited:
Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router

Joe G, in all honesty, the E4200v1 would be possibly an excellent purchase. It may be a bit more in cost, but can be worth it; as noted a refurbished purchase can lower this cost though. It has IPv6 gold certification, UPnP certified, and DLNA certified, good performance, good support, 3rd party firmware support, NAS ability, etc.

Note, I said version 1!

JOE.G,

If by "this router", you mean a refurbished Linksys E4200, yes, I'm using one now. It works well, just switched to tomato firmware, though, to avoid the recent WPS CERT. And it is working about the same with the tomato open source firmware, except there's more knobs to twiddle (if one wants to, I have a bunch of stuff disabled, and am just using the basic router and wireless functionality).

It has been working well for me for more than 6 months now, and continues to do so. I'm using it with a couple of hard-wired desktops, a couple of laptops, an iPhone, a desktop and Roku box connnected via MoCA, and a Verizon network extender connected via an ethernet bridge. Since I work on a VPN from my house a lot, and stream videos, etc., it does get a workout. Good wireless range and speed, has been solid. I'm happy with it.

Renaming USB Drive Folder

Hello there. I have a question pertaining to this router and was hoping I could get some help here.

I currently have my Seagate Free Agent Go Flex Desktop USB drive connected to my RT-N56U. I am also using OSX Lion. When I view the connected drive through Finder it comes up in the shared disc section and looks like this: Skynet > AiDisk_a1 > the folders and contents of the drive. If the drive is directly connected to my MacBook Pro the drive looks like this: Skynet > the folders and contents of the drive.

I would like to be able to rename the AiDisk_a1 to something more normal but I cannot find a way to do it. Is this possible to do or am I just stuck with what the RT-N56U wants to do? If anyone can help please let me know.

ASUS RT-N66U Is getting some good reviews what do you guys think should I go with that?