What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 3.0.0.5.354 Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maylyn

Regular Contributor
Hi all

It's my first post in smallnetbuilder forum but i have been following closely on Merlin's firmware development.

Job well done Merlin :D

I guess you guys are excited as well what ASUS is coming out hence i posting the new build of the ASUS RT-N66U UI overview

More to come

Maylyn
ASUS Singapore Open Platform/Networking Power User

----------------------------------------------------

3.0.0.4/5.3XX UI Overview

I'm just giving a run down on what is new from my findings on the upcoming ASUS .5.3XX subset firmware

I'm not in a liberty to discuss new features in details/performance findings and the upcoming firmware is subjected to changes without prior notice

Nevertheless i think ASUS Black Diamond RT-N66U/RT-AC66U users will be keen to find out what ASUS has to offer

Main Tab

New sub row (Network Tools)

NetworkMap.png

WAN

It's nice to see ASUS taking up good feedback/ideas from Merlin in regards of DHCP query. This will users to avoid from blacklist by their ISPs when DHCP query too often

WAN.png

Dual WAN

Do note this feature will not be coming out 3.0.0.4.3XX as it's in it's early stages of development. Nevertheless it's very nice of ASUS to proceed to implementing this feature

DualWAN.png

DualWAN-1.png

Network Tools

Network Analysis

NetworkTools.png

Netstat

NetworkTools-1.png

Wake on LAN

NetworkTools-2.png

Thanks for posting these screenshots Maylyn - I'm sure people who'd rather not run beta versions will be grateful for the first glance at things coming soon :)

There's one other feature which wasn't in your screenshots. I'm not sure if that feature was part of the public beta or not so I don't want to give too much details, but have a look at the AiCloud page. There might be a new page there that wasn't there yet in 3.0.0.4.270 (assuming that new feature is enabled in these betas).

On the Dual Wan feature: this is the same thing that I have been enabling in my experimental builds. As pointed out, this is still very much a work-in-progress by Asus, but they are definitely making progress with it. I strongly believe this will be a killer feature for Asus routers once it's finalized.

2 more screenshots

Wireless

Extension Channel & Optimized for XBOX

24GHz.png

5GHz.png

Thanks for posting these screenshots Maylyn - I'm sure people who'd rather not run beta versions will be grateful for the first glance at things coming soon :)

There's one other feature which wasn't in your screenshots. I'm not sure if that feature was part of the public beta or not so I don't want to give too much details, but have a look at the AiCloud page. There might be a new page there that wasn't there yet in 3.0.0.4.270 (assuming that new feature is enabled in these betas).

On the Dual Wan feature: this is the same thing that I have been enabling in my experimental builds. As pointed out, this is still very much a work-in-progress by Asus, but they are definitely making progress with it. I strongly believe this will be a killer feature for Asus routers once it's finalized.

No problem ^^

As for the other feature @ AiCloud page, are you referring to AiCloud web access port/streaming port? if not, never mind it's the only difference between .270 and this build. Let's not talk too much about Aicloud lol

My current task on hand is more on Dual WAN.

As for the Dual WAN, I have only managed to get it running once using your experimental build .24 i think.

Experimental Dual WAN Load Balancing Testing in progress using Merlin's firmware

SingTel Fiber ~ 200Mbps
ViewQwest Fiber ~ 300Mbps

DSC01061.jpg

2469745923.png

Ours is more complex to setup than most of you guys i think, As most of our Internet providers for FTTH in Singapore are using VLAN tagging for specific functions (Internet/VOIP/TV/dedicated VPN) and some entails LAN Port 1~4 so it's difficult to have any spare LAN port to set as secondary WAN.

Perhaps can you revisit Dual WAN to make further improvements when you have the time? Let me thank you in advance :)

I think the 9.0.0.X build VLAN changes is not incorporated into the build i'm currently testing as yet.

Last edited:
As for the other feature @ AiCloud page, are you referring to AiCloud web access port/streaming port? if not, never mind it's the only difference between .270 and this build.

No, it's an entirely new AiCloud feature. I'll reinstall beta 352 in the coming days to check if that public build had it.

My task on hand is mor on Dual WAN.

As for the Dual WAN, I have only managed to get it once running using your experimental build .24 i think.

Ours is more complex to setup than most of you guys i think, As most of our Internet providers for FTTH in Singapore are using VLAN tagging for specific functions (Internet/VOIP/TV/dedicated VPN) and some entails LAN Port 1~4 so it's difficult to have any spare LAN port to set as secondary WAN.

Perhaps can you revisit Dual WAN to make further improvements when you have the time? Let me thank you in advance :)

Yes, VLANs are barely used by our ISPs over here.

Testing Dual WAN is tricky, since as you pointed out, there are a lot of different WAN implementations which will vary between ISPs. The only kind of setup I might be able to reproduce here would be dual DHCP (by using three routers to simulate two different ISPs feeding one router). Since this is the simplest possible scenario, I'm pretty sure that one will already be fully supported out-of-the-box by Asus.

Anything involving VLANs is something I prefer to not mess with. Partly due to my lack of understanding how they actually work (since they aren't very common around here), and also because it would be tricky to test.

Best way to test load balancing is with Bittorrent (I experimented a bit with it at work a few years ago, using Shorewall and two ISPs). I doubt that Speedtest.net is multithreaded, so you will only open one single connection through one ISP. Bittorrent should open multiple connections spread between both links.

No, it's an entirely new AiCloud feature. I'll reinstall beta 352 in the coming days to check if that public build had it.

Yes, VLANs are barely used by our ISPs over here.

Testing Dual WAN is tricky, since as you pointed out, there are a lot of different WAN implementations which will vary between ISPs. The only kind of setup I might be able to reproduce here would be dual DHCP (by using three routers to simulate two different ISPs feeding one router). Since this is the simplest possible scenario, I'm pretty sure that one will already be fully supported out-of-the-box by Asus.

Anything involving VLANs is something I prefer to not mess with. Partly due to my lack of understanding how they actually work (since they aren't very common around here), and also because it would be tricky to test.

Actually this is not a public beta build i think :D this build is catered for Dual WAN.

Guess i will have a lot of testing and composing feedback in the coming days.

Best way to test load balancing is with Bittorrent (I experimented a bit with it at work a few years ago, using Shorewall and two ISPs). I doubt that Speedtest.net is multithreaded, so you will only open one single connection through one ISP. Bittorrent should open multiple connections spread between both links.

Got it :D Thanks Merlin

Actually this is not a public beta build i think :D this build is catered for Dual WAN.

Guess i will have a lot of testing and composing feedback in the coming days.
I figured as much seeing the firmware is 3.0.0.5, and not the normal 3.0.0.4 kind of build.

SingTel Fiber ~ 200Mbps
ViewQwest Fiber ~ 300Mbps

2469745923.png

Great speeds. But this shouldn't be due to the dual-WAN set-up, right? If it is, then maybe I should sign up for ViewQwest too. :)

P.S. Here's what I got for my Singnet

Last edited:
I tested RMerlin 270 dw and it was working fine except that a fret 15 min I get disconnect , I tested with few games ( LOL, PoE, Diablo3, ... ) but all have the same issue for some reason if you set load balancing you get disconnected, but the backup feature was working fine.
Let see if we can get this nice feature working fine on one of the new build ;)
--
Forgot to say that I don't see the dual wan tab on 354 , any idea on where is it ?
Thanks

Last edited: