What's new

Asus RT N66U Best Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veder

New Around Here
Hey Guys,

So I'm bridging my new isp router to my RT N66U, mainly using it for games and looking for the best option for firmware.

Thanks for any info
Ru

Hey Guys,

So I'm bridging my new isp router to my RT N66U, mainly using it for games and looking for the best option for firmware.

Thanks for any info
Ru
I worry about ISP provided modem/router hardware. Generally, they are able to control and access the router remotely which in my opinion, is like giving the ISP the keys to your front door. My ISP provided modem does not have router capability but if it did, I would not change my reliance on open source firmware to protect my home network from their/any outside access. For my money, TomatoUSB firmware by Shibby is the most versatile and feature-full firmware available but others may have their own preferences. My RT-N66U has been running it (upgraded whenever they come out) since I opened the box and it is great. 4 years without a hiccup! If your ISP router has wifi capability, you may wish to defeat that to preclude interference with the RT-N66U. If you can't turn off the radios, at least select channels that don't interfere with the Asus. Most will allow turning off SSID broadcast.

Always good to put the ISP router in bridge mode (I do it as well) to be able to have your own good router! ;)

I would always go for the latest firmware for my routers (see footer) and this is currently Merlin's .65 version - some claim that John's fork from an old Merlin version .43 gives better WLAN performance on the N66U, but this is only proven in some rare cases. :rolleyes: