What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware restoration tool, not rebooting after flash?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jith

New Around Here
Hi!

I got hands of an older RT-N66u router that was running an (for me) unknown Merlin firmware version, and I was interested in flashing it into original ASUS firmware (using ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool).. But the flash cannot complete, it says upload failed at around 80%

So I'm fiddling around with it, and I can get the flash process to complete using the Merlin firmware file named "RT-AC68U_378.55_0.trx" it flashes 100% BUT the router does not come alive after the message "Successfully recovered the system. Please wait for the system to reboot" , the router is just stuck with a constant blue light on the power led and the LAN port 1 led

Any advise?

And yeah, basically, I just want to flash it with original ASUS firmware :(

Thanks in advance!

I have tried waiting it out for like 1-2 hours. I have also tried to power off the device starting it again.. I have also tried to reset NVRAM via the WPS button

1) Merlin no longer supports the RT-N66U .

2) the firmware you are trying to use is not for the correct model so it is not going to work.

Thank for your reply AndreiV

Oh wow...

How do find a way to flash it back to normal firmware then? Like I mentioned when trying to use an offical firmware from ASUS it stops at 87% and says failed to transfer :(

Maybe an Nvram issue. Take a look at John's fork that might be a solution.

John's Fork.

Thank you very much for the link to Fork, I have now managed to re-flash my router with RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-01j9527 and it has now started up again. Now I just need to figure out how to go from that firmware to the newest official ASUS firmware :eek::oops:

Thank you very much for the link to Fork, I have now managed to re-flash my router with RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-01j9527 and it has now started up again. Now I just need to figure out how to go from that firmware to the newest official ASUS firmware :eek::oops:
Should just be able upload straight from the GUI?

Should just be able upload straight from the GUI?

Yeah, I figured it out, It seemed that I couldn't go straight to the newest version, had to do some older firmware updates first, and then I could

It's now up and running with newest ASUS official firmware

Thank you all!! :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!