What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.2239

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Same reason why third party firmware developers are also offering firmwares with an option to bypass your router's region, and manufacturers aren't: I don't sell routers.

It's already implemented in my builds since 374.38_0.

Merlin, I installed the latest "-em" version of your firmware last night, but I didn't notice an improvement in 5GHz Wi-Fi range. I'm curious, is there a configuration item that also needs to be set for Engineering Mode or does one just need to install the "-em" version of the firmware?

Merlin, I installed the latest "-em" version of your firmware last night, but I didn't notice an improvement in 5GHz Wi-Fi range. I'm curious, is there a configuration item that also needs to be set for Engineering Mode or does one just need to install the "-em" version of the firmware?

A factory default + manual reconfiguration is needed. Some people also had to recreate the wireless profile on their client devices.

There's a good chance that at least with this new driver, stock firmware might be "good enough" when compared to most other routers now.
The only reason why I bought the Asus RT-N66U router was it's superb coverage performance.
If newer firmware takes away this advantage and make it "like all the others" then there is no reason to use Asus anymore.

The only reason why I bought the Asus RT-N66U router was it's superb coverage performance.
If newer firmware takes away this advantage and make it "like all the others" then there is no reason to use Asus anymore.

I don't think that is what RMerlin said...

Couldn't help myself. Had to see what this stock/beta firmware offered. I have it installed for almost a day now (had RT-N66U 375.38_2-em before) and it is just as responsive as the -em version - if not more so. Very impressive. Can't imagine what an -em version of this 2239 base would be like.

The RT-N66U has been announced/available for over 2 years now - I would be okay if a newer product has better performance (but I haven't found one that does).

Couldn't help myself. Had to see what this stock/beta firmware offered. I have it installed for almost a day now (had RT-N66U 375.38_2-em before) and it is just as responsive as the -em version - if not more so. Very impressive. Can't imagine what an -em version of this 2239 base would be like.

What is the driver dates on the 2239?

I'd be curious to see what happens however if you do a factory default reset after flashing 2239, and then compare results with that of the -em build.

That is the firmware release date. Wait, I forgot the telnet cmd to show the driver's dates but you will also see it from the syslog. It's a lot easier to see in Merlin's through tools.

If I remember correctly (not at home currently):

Code:
wl ver

Or, just run "strings" on the wl.ko kernel module.

Sorry, can't find/recognize any driver dates in this firmware.

I'd be curious to see what happens however if you do a factory default reset after flashing 2239, and then compare results with that of the -em build.

RMerlin, I was going to do that eventually :) - but had to get a feel for the new firmware before I committed to it. You encouraged me to 'just do it'. :)

Here is what I found after doing a reset to defaults, manually entering all settings to how the previous build was

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=98452&postcount=150

And running some quick tests.

At about 35 feet from the router... with the same laptop and wireless adaptor as the link above.

The inssider scores for 2.4GHz are now at 72% and 100% for 5GHz - although they are both about 2-5db signal power lower than with the xxx.38_2-em build. Those were 76% (2.4GHz) and 100% (5GHz) before.

Still, the router UI is extremely responsive, I find - even compared to 38_2-em.

I also tried Ookla speed tests and while the latency has gone from 11ms to 18ms - it was like that with the 38_2-em version too for the last few days (varying from 16-18ms).

The speeds are: 34.5/11.4 on 2.4GHz and 52/11.5 on the 5GHz band. And, higher than the original I reported in post #150.

Firmware 374.38_1-em with reset and manually entering settings (above)

inssider showed signal strength readings of -42 (2.4GHz) and -48 (5GHz).

Ookla speed tests are 39/11 Mbps (2.4GHz) and 51/11 Mbps (5GHz) and 11 ms latency for both.

With a laptop equipped with an AC7260 client, I also tried an actual file transfer to my 4 drive QNAP - the average speed has jumped from ~11.5MB/s to just under 15MB/s, wirelessly - well done Asus!

Also with the AC7260 equipped laptop, the Ookla speed tests were wire speeds at 52.99/11.6 on both bands.

Note that these tests with the dual antenna AC7260 client was from the same ~35 foot distance as the single antenna N client for the tests reported above. Including the file transfer test which the 11.5MB/s comparative was normally done at closer to 6 to 8 feet instead of about 35.

These are greatly improved results even over the -em build in my setup.

The only thing missing is the RMerlin touch to the firmware (I feel so lost in AsusWRT land...). Especially being able to turn off all those router LED's!

As a side note; before resetting the router to defaults (v2239), the single antenna, dual band (Broadcom based) laptop tested with the 2.4GHz band at barely 4-5Mbps in the Ookla speed tests. I not only had to reset the router to defaults - I also had to 'forget' the 2.4GHz network settings to get almost an order of magnitude higher performance. The 5GHz band did not need (nor benefit) from 'forgetting' the network settings to give the great results it did.

While the 2.4GHz band is a little slower (and much more jittery) than with the -em build, the overall improvements are worth this small regression.

These tests I do also drive home the point that getting either the latest client (as the AC7260 shows) or the latest router (as the new for me, RT-N66U shows) gives more network performance than what we had before. Of course, upgrading both to the same 'class' is ideal - but for my needs (to have the fastest network possible), upgrading either as you can is worthwhile for the small cost involved (~$200 every few years is not too much).

RMerlin, I hope I've covered enough in these quick tests for you?

At about 35 feet from the router... with the same laptop and wireless adaptor as the link above.

The inssider scores for 2.4GHz are now at 72% and 100% for 5GHz - although they are both about 2-5db signal power lower than with the xxx.38_2-em build. Those were 76% (2.4GHz) and 100% (5GHz) before.

Interesting. The signal strength is one thing I was expecting to remain lower in the official firmware vs the EM build.

I guess we'll see as more users give this beta build a test run on the overall performance of this updated driver. For the time being I will probably stick with the "special sauce" I've been using in 38_2 unless I get enough justifications to drop it and revert to the stock driver.

Still, the router UI is extremely responsive, I find - even compared to 38_2-em.

I wonder if Asus did the same thing that I did here, and are now caching webui images. We'll have to wait for newer GPL code to see.

RMerlin, I hope I've covered enough in these quick tests for you?

It does. Thank you.

Interesting. I guess we'll see as more users give this beta build a test run on the overall performance of this updated driver. For the time being I will probably stick with the "special sauce" I've been using in 38_2 unless I get enough justifications to drop it and revert to the stock driver.
If I have time I'll test this beta or the next Asus release which probably is soon and let you know.

While the 2.4GHz band is a little slower (and much more jittery) than with the -em build, the overall improvements are worth this small regression.

Encouraged by your results, I uploaded Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.374.2239 and then reset the router using the reset button then reset the router NVRAM using the WPS button. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the nature of 5GHz Wi-Fi but I've never had good 5GHz performance out of any router unless I am close to the router. I'm beginning to think 5GHz just can't cut through walls and it's really not viable for Wi-Fi signals at any distance. 2.4GHz works great and I have great range with it on the RT-N66U. I don't think interference is an issue on 5GHz at least not from other Wi-Fi routers as I have ran stumbler to check.

Am I right? Was 5GHz just marketing hype that is really only beneficial when you are closer to the router? I get great speeds over 2.4GHz.

Did you also manually type in any required settings? And also 'forget' and rejoin the ssid's on the clients you were testing?

How far are you from the router when testing the 5GHz band?

I agree that all else being equal the 2.4GHz band is superior for range - but I did see real improvements on the 5GHz side with actual network workloads. And the 2.4GHz band was noticeably downgraded.

Are you saying that your results show the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band equal to the 374.38_2-em firmware? Or was there any improvement seen?

Did you also manually type in any required settings? And also 'forget' and rejoin the ssid's on the clients you were testing?

Yes I manually typed in the settings (copy and pasted most of them). I also removed the SSID from a Mac in the network settings and manually added it back. I have an iPad4 that I "forgot" the SSID on.

How far are you from the router when testing the 5GHz band?

40 Feet... 1 floor away. Now there are other places in the house where at a 31 foot distance I can get connectivity to 5GHz. But 5GHz also seems to loose connection a lot too. I typically get annoyed and switch to 2.4GHz and never get dropped again.

I agree that all else being equal the 2.4GHz band is superior for range - but I did see real improvements on the 5GHz side with actual network workloads. And the 2.4GHz band was noticeably downgraded.

That's interesting.

Are you saying that your results show the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band equal to the 374.38_2-em firmware? Or was there any improvement seen?

I tried 374.38_2 and 374.38_2-em but I did not do a hard reset with either of those versions. The hard reset is only needed when using "-em" or moving away from "-em" right? Or upgrading from SDK5 to SDK6. Hard resets are a pain and usually require a modem reboot.

Last edited:
I was at ~35 feet away with my testing through a couple of walls (no floors/pipes).

I would suggest that if you want to give a new firmware the best possible chance to show you what it's got, you need to do a proper hard reset to defaults, manually enter all settings and delete/forget the ssid's you used on all your clients and re-associate again with them, or, simply use a new ssid for each band.

To me the pain is not in resetting the router properly - the pain is to not know if any glitches are the result of not doing it properly in the first place. :)

I was at ~35 feet away with my testing through a couple of walls (no floors/pipes).

I would suggest that if you want to give a new firmware the best possible chance to show you what it's got, you need to do a proper hard reset to defaults, manually enter all settings and delete/forget the ssid's you used on all your clients and re-associate again with them, or, simply use a new ssid for each band.

To me the pain is not in resetting the router properly - the pain is to not know if any glitches are the result of not doing it properly in the first place. :)

I know, I didn't realize "-em" required a hard reset until Merlin said so. I DID a hard reset using both the reset button and the WPS button when trying .2239 today and I deleted the SSID's and re-entered. I also did a hard reset when moving to SDK6 as Asus suggested. So you're saying do a hard reset every time the firmware is changed?

I'll see how this firmware does. I mean, Asus or Merlin firmware has always been solid for me... I have just been looking for improvements to the 5GHz band but maybe that's not going to happen. I also noticed Wi-Fi performance degrade when upgrading to iOS 7.0... I have a feeling Wi-Fi will improve with iOS v7.1.

Last edited: