What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Agreed! No reason to update until Asus fixes the botched 2.4 signal and non-working output Tx Power Adjustment.

Mike

It's not just the 2.4 Ghz band. The 5 Ghz band has range issues too when comparing to .27x

The .276 firmware is in the Asus firmware downloads for the rt-n66u on the Asus site.

Agreed! No reason to update until Asus fixes the botched 2.4 signal and non-working output Tx Power Adjustment.

Mike

Knowing Asus, I suspect they released that version so early mainly to address the security issue it resolves. So don't take this as a sign that they aren't working on the wireless issues - that part of development was probably not ready yet, and the security fix required an interim release.

Merlin has Asus made any statement that maybe the SDK6 drivers are not compatible with the RT-N66U? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Merlin has Asus made any statement that maybe the SDK6 drivers are not compatible with the RT-N66U? Sorry if this has been asked before.

It's not incompatible, it just needs tweaking, which they are working on.

Is WEP not working on this release? I can select Open System but when I click the dropdown for WEP I just see an option of 'None'. I still have one device that I use on the guest network that can only do WEP so it'd be a bummer to finally have to retire this device.

"Open System" means Open System....no protection at all.
You must select "Shared Key", then you get the WEP options.

"Open System" means Open System....no protection at all.
You must select "Shared Key", then you get the WEP options.

I'd love to be able to but this is all I see. And FWIW, this is under guest network. I see the same thing under regular wireless options.

Is WEP not working on this release?

I can't find an option to configure WEP with this release either. I don't know if it was available in earlier versions. Some say it is not a viable option for protection anyhow..

I can't find an option to configure WEP with this release either. I don't know if it was available in earlier versions. Some say it is not a viable option for protection anyhow..

It's really not, but the device I have doesn't allow for no encryption. It's either WEP or no connection. And up until this release WEP was working just fine. I know because I'd been using it for the past few years and it was there in every single release.

I think it's just broken right now. If you view page source on either the guest network or wireless settings you'll see references to Shared Key. Like this:

Code:
<option value="open" >Open System</option>
<option value="shared" >Shared Key</option>
<option value="psk" >WPA-Personal</option>
<option value="psk2" selected>WPA2-Personal</option>
<option value="pskpsk2" >WPA-Auto-Personal</option>

Or this:

Code:
function translate_auth(flag){
if(flag == "open")
return "Open System";
else if(flag == "shared")
return "Shared Key";
else if(flag == "psk")
return "WPA-Personal";
else if(flag == "psk2")
return "WPA2-Personal";
else if(flag == "pskpsk2")
return "WPA-Auto-Personal";
else if(flag == "wpa")
return "WPA-Enterprise";
else if(flag == "wpa2")
return "WPA2-Enterprise";
else if(flag == "wpawpa2")
return "WPA-Auto-Enterprise";
else if(flag == "radius")
return "Radius with 802.1x";
else
return "unknown Auth";
}

At least I hope it's just broken for now. I could pull out my old AP and get WEP going again but I'd prefer to use the guest network for it because of general laziness.

Allright, maybe things are changed which I cannot justify, I just checked my RT-N66U with the 979 build: you must first select Legacy mode as Wireless Mode (by this you disable 802.11n), now Shared Key is available to enable WEP.

FYI: 802.11n requires (mandatory) to use WPA2 with AES as encryption, so currently Asus does right to disable WEP when in Wireless Mode Auto (and enable 802.11n).

[EDIT] Did you guys hard reset the router after the upgrade to 979 and did you enter all settings manual again, this is a MUST due to many changes in the 720 and 979 build compared to older builds.

Last edited:
Interesting. Now that you put it like this I may have previously been on legacy. It's been awhile since I've done a hard reset because I just did the updates through the GUI. But yes, per the instructions on the site I did a factory reset. And when I couldn't figure it out I tried to factory reset in a couple different ways.

It's also interesting you mention about the N standard being WPA2. You're right but we can still select WPA in this mode.

Thanks for checking into this for me. I assumed something was broken but turns out I wasn't looking hard enough. Much appreciated.

Daylight savings GMT+1 still not working...

Small but persistent issue still remains in the latest firmware: The daylight saving is still off by one hour (in the future) for the GMT+1 setting. This should be not that difficult to fix. All my network-devices, laptops/PC's, tablets, audio & video equipment are set automatically EXECPT the Asus router.... :(

Yes, confirmed here (in the Netherlands, GMT+1:00 Amsterdam).
Daylight savings time is one of the good old programmers nightmares.
Even worse with the frequent schedule changes here and there around the globe.
I tend to set systems like routers and such to GMT, no more DST headaches.

[EDIT] DD-WRT (build 14929) suffers the same DST problem.

Last edited:
A good part of the DST issues come from the uClib library used by the firmware. This isn't something trivial to fix unlike what it might seem, unfortunately.

The manual DST settings are not much better either.
You can select the start and end month, that is ok.
Then you can select a week number, the usual choices "first" or "last" are missing.
And the days are numbered from 0 to 6 instead of plain Monday to Sunday.
Another area for improvement with low priority.