What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3602

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rick155

Occasional Visitor
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)

Network map new features:
- Click the lock icon in client profile to assign fixed IP for client.
- Added number on client icon to show how many clients connect to repeater and AP under router.
- Added the DHCP and static IP identification.
Known issue. If the IP is fixed in client side, Network map would show DHCP.

Security
- Upgraded OpenSSL library to 1.0.0o

Bug fixes
3G/LTE
- Fixed HUAWEI E180, E261, E1750, E1780, EC122, EC1260, EC1261, EC150, EC167, ET128, compatibility issue.
- Fixed ZTE MU251, T A356, AC580, AC590 compatibility issue.
- Fixed BandLuxe C170 compatibility issue.
- Fixed HTC M8 USB tethering compatibility issue.

Others
- Fixed NAT loopback issue.
- Fixed samba issue when plugging two USB drives.
- Fixed the NTP sync issue in AP mode.
- Fixed user interface issues for IPTV, Media bridge mode, VPN server.

Asus please stop messing around with that Network map / Client status screen. Keep it simple, forget all the smart features they only give confusion.
The "Added number on client icon to show how many clients connect to repeater and AP under router" and "Added the DHCP and static IP identification" features are messed up and do not tell me the truth here.
It shows 2 devices behind a repeater whilere is one, and it tells me the static printer IP address is DHCP (this last one is the known bug).
[EDIT] The Client status shows incorrect information in the Wired and Wireless Tabs. It shows "Wired (1)" while there is nothing wired connected, even after a Refresh.
I suggest Asus to strip down the Client status non-sense to bare MAC/IP address information, nothing more.

Time sync is broken, even after another reboot and also after setting another time server, the router stays at January 01 and time started from 0:00.
The System Log says repeatedly:
Jan 1 01:02:09 rc_service: ntp 490:notify_rc stop_ntpc
[EDIT] After reverting the time server back to default (pool.ntp.org) it kicked in and set the router time correct.

[EDIT2] After reverting back to factory defaults and configure manual again, the time was correct right away.

[EDIT3]
This message shows up every hour now:
Nov 8 13:59:57 rc_service: ntp 490:notify_rc stop_ntpc

Last edited:
Oh wow....for this Asus should have raised the flag and sound all bells and whistles: at least here in Europe it now shows almost all allowed 5 GHz channels including the DFS/TPC ones (channels 120, 124 and 128 are missing), I have not tested the effect of the DFS checkbox yet (guess it should allow the higher channels in Auto mode):

Attachments

• dfs.png
    dfs.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)

Network map new features:
- Click the lock icon in client profile to assign fixed IP for client.
- Added number on client icon to show how many clients connect to repeater and AP under router.
- Added the DHCP and static IP identification.
Known issue. If the IP is fixed in client side, Network map would show DHCP.

Security
- Upgraded OpenSSL library to 1.0.0o

Bug fixes
3G/LTE
- Fixed HUAWEI E180, E261, E1750, E1780, EC122, EC1260, EC1261, EC150, EC167, ET128, compatibility issue.
- Fixed ZTE MU251, T A356, AC580, AC590 compatibility issue.
- Fixed BandLuxe C170 compatibility issue.
- Fixed HTC M8 USB tethering compatibility issue.

Others
- Fixed NAT loopback issue.
- Fixed samba issue when plugging two USB drives.
- Fixed the NTP sync issue in AP mode.
- Fixed user interface issues for IPTV, Media bridge mode, VPN server.

Waiting source code....

Okay...this is going to be nasty.
5 GHz seems to be unreliable after the upgrade, 5 GHz clients (one W7 PC and one Android Tablet) were happily connected to the auto selected channel 62 and simply lost their connection. The router shows it is still active on channel 62, but the clients do no longer find the 5 GHz signal. Did DFS kick in, searching for radars?
[EDIT] The answer is yes, DFS wrecked it:
Nov 8 14:20:27 kernel: SKIPPED false Type 1 Radar Detection. min_pw=15 pw_delta=0 pri=23018 fm_min=0 fm_max=0 nconsecq_pulses=3. Time from last detection = 15301, = 255min 1sec. Detected pulse index: 0

Setting the 5 GHz channel manual to 48 brought the connection back alive.
Let's see what this manual setting does the next time.

Last edited:
Somebody start using this FW version ?
Could you tell me about issues or new features you find in this release?

Somebody start using this FW version ?
Could you tell me about issues or new features you find in this release?

It works fine.....in US. The change log is in the very first post of this thread.

There's the strange NTP operations in the router's system log, but they appear benign.

I flashed it, reset to defaults...and haven't noticed any issues. Works fine.

Last edited:
Well, this was an update that was coming from the mud i guess; my 5 Ghz connection constantly dropped and also the 2.4 Ghz connection did not work right.
Reverted back to the FW version from september and now everything works great again.

I noticed also that the router was getting a lot warmer since the upgrade then before :eek:

See my earlier posts in this thread: I believe the 5GHz DFS feature is causing problems, at least in Auto channel mode. My solution is to manual select one of the low (non DFS) channels.
The hourly NTP messages are blurring the logfile, further no harm.
The Client status info with all silly features is unreliable, but no harm.
Still missing wireless site survey (yes, it is in Merlins build).

See my earlier posts in this thread: I believe the 5GHz DFS feature is causing problems, at least in Auto channel mode. My solution is to manual select one of the low (non DFS) channels.
The hourly NTP messages are blurring the logfile, further no harm.
The Client status info with all silly features is unreliable, but no harm.
Still missing wireless site survey (yes, it is in Merlins build).

Unless it was added in this release, the RT-N66U doesn't support DFS.

Unless it was added in this release, the RT-N66U doesn't support DFS.

See my earlier post in this thread:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=149029&postcount=3
Before this 3602 firmware build the router only showed 4 channels (36, 40, 44 and 48) on 5 GHz.
My location is the Netherlands / Europe, it should be under ETSI regulations and the "new" higher channels are partly allowed indoors and partly only with DFS.
Strange thing is that 3 channels are missing (120, 124 and 128)

See also this post:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=149055&postcount=5
That describes the problem I found with leaving the 5 GHz channel setting at Auto (and set it self to channel 62).

For the curious ones a 5 GHz channel table is attached.

Attachments

• 5ghz_wifi.jpg
    5ghz_wifi.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
New Changelog on Asus Website:

For US and TW only.

Interesting...:rolleyes:

New Changelog on Asus Website:

For US and TW only.

Interesting...:rolleyes:

A nice mystery, does it say the 3602 build does not correctly handle router locale requirements?
Maybe the guys that look into the GPL can put some light on it.
I wonder how many outside the US and TW allready installed this firmware (here is one, in The Netherlands / Europe).

Believe it or not I'm still running 270 firmware (been stable). Would 3602 be a good one to update my RT-N66U to? :confused:

Mostly concerned about getting the latest security updates.
In your case I would consider to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.376.2524.
Version 3.0.0.4.376.3602 introduced 5 GHz problems (probably only outside the US and TW), a newer update is expected.
You may anyhow experience a degraded range performance when you upgrade away from 270.

Last edited: