What's new

Asus RT-N66U Losing connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asu5

New Around Here
Hello,

I have bought a new Asus RT-N66U, to change my previous comtrend. I am very glad about it's speeds and range capabilities, but I found out that it has one annoying feature.
I'm talking about dropping internet connection, sometimes twice per hour sometimes twice per 5 hours, but it does that, I have Newest Merlin's firmware loaded, but it keeps dropping, though it does that less with Merlin's firmware. Also I did all those steps : http://blog.ittoby.com/2013/01/setup-and-tweak-your-new-asus-rt-ac66u.html .

The worst thing is that when connection drop there's nothing system log on router. It is sure not a computer thing, because it is happening on Dell , Asus, Acer PC's, Samsung S2,S3,S4,S4 mini . Windows 7, windows 8.1, windows 8 . Because it didn't happen with previous router, i think it's Asus RT-N66u problem.

Also I read threads about this problem, but most answers were that it is range problems, but it also happens in a room were PC and router is 2 meters away and on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands. I would really appreatiate suggestions.

Thank you for answer, just installed your suggested version. Now I'll just wait, maybe it will be ok:)

The only thing that solved this issue for me was to revert to sdk5 driver firmware.

Installed twenty days ago and uptime is now twenty days without a lost connection.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7v6d5p3ia57f72a/RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4-sdk5.zip

I don't see using SDK5 firmware will solve the OP's WAN disconnections. It's something else but it's not the wireless driver the reason the OP are getting disconnections. Maybe, we need more details like ISP, modem(if any) and whatever he can post that can help diagnose his/her problem. Besides, it's advisable to warn others that the recommended firmware has vulnerabilities that were fixed in the newer versions.

Last edited:
The Broadcom WLAN driver is a prime suspect.

Asu5, please come back after a few days and tell us if anything has changed.

I wasn't at home these days a lot, but when I was, there weren't any lost connections, so KevTech's provided firmware did work for me, until now at least:).

EDIT:

Looks like it worked! No problems at all after installing that firmware!

Last edited:
I wasn't at home these days a lot, but when I was, there weren't any lost connections, so KevTech's provided firmware did work for me, until now at least:).

EDIT:

Looks like it worked! No problems at all after installing that firmware!

I second the SDK5 issue.

When I was using SDK6 (.374.40), I was having disconnects with my WGA600N.
When I reverted to SDK5 (.372.31), it fixed the WGA600N issue, but my HTC incredible 2 was having disconnects.

What works for me (so far, both devices are solid) is .270.26b :) I've learned that newer is not always better.

The SDK6 driver has always been broken. Merlin offered his firmware with the SDK5 driver for that very reason. Unfortunately, he was not able to continue that effort.

I place all blame on Broadcom for releasing a broken driver to Asus for a premier N900 product.

-------------------------------------------------------------
RT-N66U with 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5

I also had problems with losing internet after a few days with connection via 5GHz with the newer SDK6 firmware. Devices did not drop connection since the 5GHz signal was good but getting data from internet was impossible. Also trying to connect to a via 5GHz connected device (VPN) was impossible. It really looks like a Broadcom problem. The 2.4 GHz band was working normal without any of these problems. I reverted back to 4.374.36_beta1-sdk5 and since then I do not have any problems. Now up for 34 days without reboot or disconnect.