What's new

ASUS RT-N66U new BETA firmware version 188

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Be forewarned: you will lose all your settings if you flash this beta firmware.

That said it seems to be working fine. I was planning to flash back to .162 today because of issues with .178 but went with the beta instead.

So far so good.

Be forewarned: you will lose all your settings if you flash this beta firmware.

That said it seems to be working fine. I was planning to flash back to .162 today because of issues with .178 but went with the beta instead.

So far so good.

I didn't lose my settings,just sayin

I didn't lose my settings,just sayin
Then you must have already been using 64k-NVRAM enabled firmware or you are flashing from one 32k firmware version to another. If you flashover from 32k to 64K NVRAM firmware you will lose your settings as the NVRAM has to be wiped clean in order for the flash to be successful. You also cannot restore your settings from a backup file as the 32K and 64k firmware versions do not play nicely together. As you were. :)

Last edited:
OK, I flashed back to .162 then flashed the .4.188 and didn't lose my settings.

So far things seem to be working much better than the first time.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Is it normal for new firmware to come from the Russian site asus.ru? That's where the link in the OP points.

Is it normal for new firmware to come from the Russian site asus.ru? That's where the link in the OP points.

For some reason, Asus occasionally posts beta versions of their firmware on their russian forums. No idea why, but they are legit releases (AFAIK). The posts is from an Asus representative.

Thanks for confirming that the Russian site is legitimate.

So... with a "beta" release, what is the channel to report defects to Asus?

-Nevermind- my bad eyes could not see the link in the OP sorry

I tried it for a couple of days, but I ended up flashing back to the .178 firmware. The wireless signals on both bands were about 10% less on the .188 beta than what I was getting with .178 release.