What's new

Asus rt86u "Format jffs at next boot"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for info but @ColinTaylor already found it out . Could you please further explain how to format jffs2 over ssh and coclude topic by either posting commands or exaplining what to do to erase it other than using ur firmware option ?

I don't know, I haven't done that over SSH for years. I would assume either mtd2-erase mtd9 or mtd2-erase misc2.

The webui switch lets the rc process handle it at the next boot.

EDIT: doesn't seem like the mtd functions exist on HND models, because that platform uses the UBI filesystem. You will have to do it through the webui, or study the source code to determine if it's possible to do it manually over SSH.

I don't know, I haven't done that over SSH for years. I would assume either mtd2-erase mtd9 or mtd2-erase misc2.

The webui switch lets the rc process handle it at the next boot.

EDIT: doesn't seem like the mtd functions exist on HND models, because that platform uses the UBI filesystem. You will have to do it through the webui, or study the source code to determine if it's possible to do it manually over SSH.

Im too big of a newb to figure this out by tracking the code but i did "mtd2-erase mtd9" it closed connection and did something router started functioning after reboot also "mtd2-erase misc2" command doest exist . It might look dumb to write but what about finding this jffs2 crap in some folders or its embedded somewhere and only visible during boot process? Thanks for info , would be nice if you could track it down in spare time if other responsibilities wont take too much time. Thanks to @ColinTaylor your previous script erased jffs folder i believe and was reproduced after reboot. This is kind of help i expected and @RMerlin and @ColinTaylor did not fail to deliver thanks for helping me gain knowledge for future which will help me in getting trouble-free usage of my router.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info about the use of UBI (I don't have a HND router so wouldn't know that). I wonder whether ubiformat would offer the equivalent function to mtd2-erase in that case. (Just idle speculation :D)

Also what is the difference between mtd-erase nvram and initialize in web ui . Is the mtd-erase nvram a dangerous command to run on 86u?

@podkaracz, very dangerous to run on any router (particularly a supported one). I'm sure I've read RMerlin state it could permanently brick it if I'm not mistaken.

Its for educational purposes right now . Im sure there is a warning next to those commands that "dont use if you dont know what you are doing" cuz of permanent brick it can make. Thanks for commands.

#edit

Did some1 successfully ran this command on 86u (mtd-erase nvram ) ? Share your knowledge before some1 is going to try to use it.

Did some1 successfully ran this command on 86u (mtd-erase nvram ) ? Share your knowledge before some1 is going to try to use it.
Does that command (mtd-erase) actually exist any more? I thought it was only used on the old MIPS routers.

Does that command (mtd-erase) actually exist any more? I thought it was only used on the old MIPS routers.

Dont ask me its me who post questions here :D

#edit

I ran "hnd-erase nvram" as propsed by @dave14305 and it went with 0 problems here is what i did :

1. ssh to router
2. hnd-erase nvram
3. manually pressed power off switch on router
4. after reboot , everything went smooth and i saw setup page

Question is "hnd-erase nvram" a equivalent to "mtd-erase nvram" or maybe "erase nvram" only without mtd ? Do you guys know details maybe hnd is equivalent to mtd ? I dont want risk other commands that are not part of @RMerlin code and experiment.

Dont ask me its me who post questions here :D
I am asking you. You're the one asking about your router. I can't answer that question for you because I have a different model of router. It's up to you to see if that command exists on your router.

I am asking you. You're the one asking about your router. I can't answer that question for you because I have a different model of router. It's up to you to see if that command exists on your router.

Yes i get it but those are risky commands before i try them i would like to get more info from people what to expect so i dont end up with bricked router. I tested one command already "hnd-erase nvram" which works well and i can tell my router works smoother than with any other method ive tried .

Yes i get it but those are risky commands before i try them i would like to get more info from people what to expect so i dont end up with bricked router. I tested one command already "hnd-erase nvram" which works well and i can tell my router works smoother than with any other method ive tried .
I wasn't asking you to run the command, only to determine whether it existed at all in your router's firmware. But the question is moot now as you appear to have the solution you wanted.

I wasn't asking you to run the command, only to determine whether it existed at all in your router's firmware. But the question is moot now as you appear to have the solution you wanted.

I mean how do i check the possible commands without using them? simply typing mtd -? or something . Could you please give me more information im going to check it with pleasure because as you can see my knowledge is not even basic in this area and you seem to know what to do. In my opion this forum should have parts which are solely focused on those commands so people know in's and out's of every situation .

#edit

Tried "mtd-erase nvram" and it throws "error command not found" so yea probably only command proposed by@dave14305 works.

There are multiple ways you could do this (it's just normal Linux stuff), for example:

Type in the beginning of the command and then press TAB. If there is only one command that starts with those characters it will auto-complete the command. If there are multiple commands that start the same way pressing TAB a second time will list all the possibilities.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# mtd-
mtd-erase2  mtd-unlock  mtd-write2

Alternatively you could just search the entire filesystem for a specific command.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# find / -name mtd-erase2
/sbin/mtd-erase2

And as you said, typing a command followed by "-?" usually gives the command syntax or an error if it doesn't exist.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# mtd-erase -?
-sh: mtd-erase: not found

admin@RT-AC68U:/# mtd-erase2 -?
usage: mtd-erase2 [device]

There are multiple ways you could do this (it's just normal Linux stuff), for example:

Type in the beginning of the command and then press TAB. If there is only one command that starts with those characters it will auto-complete the command. If there are multiple commands that start the same way pressing TAB a second time will list all the possibilities.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# mtd-
mtd-erase2  mtd-unlock  mtd-write2

Alternatively you could just search the entire filesystem for a specific command.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# find / -name mtd-erase2
/sbin/mtd-erase2

And as you said, typing a command followed by "-?" usually gives the command syntax or an error if it doesn't exist.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# mtd-erase -?
-sh: mtd-erase: not found

admin@RT-AC68U:/# mtd-erase2 -?
usage: mtd-erase2 [device]

Everything which contains mtd throws back error 127 not found. I figured out that what its the replacement is probably hnd-erase but how to list commands since writing hnd-erase -? gives me "unknown applet"

Everything which contains mtd throws back error 127 not found. I figured out that what its the replacement is probably hnd-erase but how to list commands since writing hnd-erase -? gives me "unknown applet"
Not all commands have built-in help, especially those that aren't designed to be used by the end user. But using Dave's link in post #29 we can see that there is only one valid parameter for the hnd-erase command and that is "nvram".

Not all commands have built-in help, especially those that aren't designed to be used by the end user. But using Dave's link in post #29 we can see that there is only one valid parameter for the hnd-erase command and that is "nvram".

The question is now where to look for this replaced command @RMerlin suggested to track down his code but i cant seem to see those commands there .