What's new

Asus RTAX88U - Wich release?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jesper Thygesen

New Around Here
Hi
Im new here so I hope one of you can help.

My Asus RTAX88U router keeps loosing wifi connection on daily basis. Its a pain in the a... Its running on original firmware. I have read a lot of good things about the Merlin firmware and now thinking about trying it. But which release or beta version should I go with?

I have a Asus RTAX92U router set up as a imesh node with the RTAX88U as the primary router. Another question is - Can i make an update to the original firmware on the RTAX92U from the Merlin firmware on the RTAX88U if I decide to go with that? Its not possible to log in in any other way when its set up as a node... Not that I know of ;-)

Regards Jesper

I am runni g this one , runs very well here.

Attachments

• 20200316_212917.jpg
    20200316_212917.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 568
Yes i am using the asus app control , but because my ax88u and ac86u are in aimesh , i can only control the ax88u and the ac86u takes it over autimatical.the first one is the app, the second one the webbased login the router iff i need to change what is not in the app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200320-110642_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-110642_One UI Home.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 509
  • Screenshot_20200320-111042_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-111042_ASUS Router.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 505
Yes i am using the asus app control , but because my ax88u and ac86u are in aimesh , i can only control the ax88u and the ac86u takes it over autimatical.the first one is the app, the second one the webbased login the router iff i need to change what is not in the app.
So you can se the Merlin firmware in the app or?

Im using the RTAX88U as my primary router and the RTAX92U as my imesh node... But i cant access the RTAX92U from the Asus firmware.. Do you know how to do it?

So you can se the Merlin firmware in the app or?

Im using the RTAX88U as my primary router and the RTAX92U as my imesh node... But i cant access the RTAX92U from the Asus firmware.. Do you know how to do it?

Updating to the Merlin firmware is done via the web-based menu, you can not do that with the Asus App. You'll need to download the firmware manually and via one of the web-based menu's you can upload it.

The latest Merlin release for your AX88U is 384.15. The Merlin firmware has support for Aimesh, so you can have the AX92U in Aimesh mode too.

Once your AX88U has been updated to Merlin firmware, the behavior is pretty much the same when it comes to Aimesh functionality... You won't have direct access to your AX92U's settings. Updating your node must be done manually (is easy), the AX88U has an extra Upload option for Aimesh nodes.

Do not use Asus app! It is known to put your router under security risk!

Updating to the Merlin firmware is done via the web-based menu, you can not do that with the Asus App. You'll need to download the firmware manually and via one of the web-based menu's you can upload it.

The latest Merlin release for your AX88U is 384.15. The Merlin firmware has support for Aimesh, so you can have the AX92U in Aimesh mode too.

Once your AX88U has been updated to Merlin firmware, the behavior is pretty much the same when it comes to Aimesh functionality... You won't have direct access to your AX92U's settings. Updating your node must be done manually (is easy), the AX88U has an extra Upload option for Aimesh nodes.

Thank you for your answer!! :) Would you say that the Merlin firmware could solve my wifi problem?

Do not use Asus app! It is known to put your router under security risk!
Oh... I didnt know that it might be a problem to use the app... Actually it helps me with the reboot sometimes 1 to 3 times a day because of my problems with the RTAX88U loosing the 5 g wifi… Do you know where to read more about the risk?

Just look on google , its eseay to find, the problems you have with your wifi could be saved with merlin firmware, you just have to try.

What the app concerns , i cant reach the router whem i am not my own wifi , so should be secure or not?

Oh... I didnt know that it might be a problem to use the app... Actually it helps me with the reboot sometimes 1 to 3 times a day because of my problems with the RTAX88U loosing the 5 g wifi… Do you know where to read more about the risk?

You may wish to do search in this forum or google it. Here is just one of the threads discussing security vulnerabilities of the Asus app. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-activation-of-remote-access-to-router.44181/

It is strongly advised to use ONLY the Web GUI to manage your router and ONLY from within your LAN, which means to use PC or laptop connected by cable or by Wi-Fi to YOUR network. You may also use the web browser of your phone, but usually it is not very convenient as the WebGUI is not designed to be well visible on mobile devices. Do not enable Web or SSH access from WAN. If you need remote access (from outside of your LAN) you shall configure OpenVPN server on your router and access the router WebGUI/SSH through it.

When considering remote access to your router the only solution proven to be secure is OpenVPN! The only port opened to external world should be the port on which the OpenVPN server is listening on. Any other ports should be closed. This is a golden standard.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!