What's new

ASUS setup (GT-AX6000 or AX86U) generating issues with work video calls only (Under stock or Merlin). Narrowed it to configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I also believe the router has nothing to do with it. It doesn't see anything inside the VPN tunnel traffic. The VPN runs on the notebook. The big mystery remains - why is @Jcamilo70 seeing this happening only when the connection goes through Asus routers? I don't have hundreds of employees and we push everything through the tunnel with no ill effects. Is something Zoom related going outside of the tunnel is the problem here like in VPN split tunneling recommendations? Asus router blocking ports?

Laptops use custom client working on background, OpenVPN, no other connection options, non user configurable.

Laptops use custom client working on background, OpenVPN, no other connection options, non user configurable.

I still think it's the VPN client SW and the config his employer has done with it.

Could be that when he's connected to the router vs. connect direct to modem, some of the IP connection params can be different - the router abstracts that...

If this were an Asus Router issues, and recall, he's using two different models, we would see a lot more questions around this item.

We don't...

I also believe the router has nothing to do with it. It doesn't see anything inside the VPN tunnel traffic. The VPN runs on the notebook.

There, we are in agreement - and since OP can't disable the VPN client SW (Cisco Secure Connect) - next step should be try the Zoom meeting on a device that is _not_ the work PC - if it works there...

But if they're admin, they can

No, it's basically a screen, keyboard and connection. Restricted user and locked ports. They go to places with restrictions and specific requirements to what electronic devices can or can not be used. Not about my network protection only. In some places we can't even enter with our own devices.

if it works there...

Correct.

On the Wan port of the Asus device that's working as a router we absolutely definitely have the WAN IP address?

Are you able to use zoom on personal laptop with Asus router? If you are then try installing a VPN and see if zoom still works.

I am using similar setup for my work for years and have not seen this issue before.

I still think it's the VPN client SW and the config his employer has done with it.
I agree. Likely the tunnel's MTU setting is wrong for the OP's connection, causing fragmentation.