What's new

ASUS Stock FW - VPN Client On/Off Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shkronk

New Around Here
Hey guys, I'm trying to automate Enable/Disable switch for VPN client. I have PPTP vpn client setup and working fine from the GUI.

If I run via SSH below
service start_vpnclient1

I'm getting below error:

Apr 5 16:19:00 vpnclient1[2765]: OpenVPN 2.3.2 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Mar 25 2019
Apr 5 16:19:00 vpnclient1[2765]: ERROR: username from Auth authfile 'up' is empty
Apr 5 16:19:00 vpnclient1[2765]: Exiting due to fatal error

Username and password is already saved in the GUI.

Any ideas?

Is it maybe because i'm using PPTP and not OpenVPN? I see OpenVPN mentioned in the log, maybe only OpenVPN is supported for this command?

Looking at this a bit more it's a lot more complicated than I initially thought. I don't think it's possible to do it with just one simple command.

Firstly, using the PPTP client is mutually exclusive with using the L2TP and OpenVPN clients. Secondly, there can be multiple PPTP clients defined so you need to work out a way of specifying which client profile you want to use. You can't simply enable "the PPTP client".

Thanks Colin, after some digging it looks like that is blocked by stock FW. I have since flashed it with Merlin and have setup OpenVPN, now everything works perfect! Thanks