What's new

ASUS vpn server/client leaky?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theboz

Occasional Visitor
I have a two router setup with ASUS RT-AX 3000 wan port to isp router/modem Verizon FIOS Lan port. “Normal“ transactions working well. I then started configuring the vpn server and some vpn clients - which seemed to work. But then, the proverbial hit the fan. Now, whenever I use a browser with an ASUS Wi-Fi, every place I point a browser to thinks my location is Toronto. I’m not there.

Now I expect browsers and sites to keep cookies and caches which might contain country information to give me a “better experience”. I’ll accept that for now. What I didn’t expect was that when I tried to transition a Roku device to an ASUS Wi-Fi from a Verizon one, sites would reject streaming based on either a country they don’t stream to, or in one case refusing to even connect because they said I was using a vpn! The Roku was working fine before I tried the transition because of better a stronger signal from the ASUS.

What is going on? Where/how are country codes saved and used? The Roku has NEVER been on a vpn! Have the machines I’ve been using (iPad and Linux laprop) been corrupted some how? Any ideas where to look?

TIA

Problem found, but what the heck? Soon after posting my issue I checked the log and my vpn client2 was blathering this error:

AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID​

I found a link that says this is “normal” when you have more than one tunnel running. Error.

I shut down that client, and then everything back to normal!

So, the question still remains what is going on. A TorGuard server in their Canadian pool has an issue. But how does a problem server cause vpn information(IP) to get onto an ASUS Wi-Fi and go out over the internet - that seems to be be happening to the aforementioned Roku??

A light year above my knowledge/experience....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!