What's new

Asus XT8 - Backhaul Stopped working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulJ

New Around Here
Got the 2 pack a few months ago and everything been working nicely - until yesterday (Xmas Day). Got a notification that my house alarm system had gone offline.

When I got back I noted that the kitchen node was flashing a rapid blue LED and reboot and reset would not persuade it to come back online. After a LOT of messing around and testing I discovered that the only way I can get it to connect as a node is if I disable the backhaul functionality.

My set up is as follows:
1 unit connected directly to my providers router in the same location
1 Node hard wired from the 1st unit to the kitchen.
System settings set to Ethernet Backhaul.

Like I say... all working fine for months (no firmware updates etc) and then suddenly blue flashing lights on the node and offline.

Here is what I have tried so far.
Reset the Node - same issue
Updated to latest firmware - same issue
Disabled Ethernet backhaul and switched to '1G WAN 1st' in Node Management - same issue
Connected directly to the main unit (removed any unmanaged switch issues / bad cable issues) - same issue

Only way I can get it up and running is to remove any wired backhaul settings and physically remove the cable.... then I get connection and associated clients but at a much reduced speed.
Operation mode is set to default (Wireless router mode/AIMesh Router Mode)

I'm stuck since no changes have been made to a system that was running fine for months then suddently not.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Click optimisation in the AI mesh screen. That will stop nodes dropping off your network.

I’m gonna try a downgrade to 40295? I read lots of post that that fixed some issues (even though I hadn’t updated to begin with). Confused though on how to do it.
also see some posts that it may auto update which is worrying… maybe it did auto update and I didn’t know.

If there is no Auto Firmware Update switch in Administration, Firmware Upgrade - most likely it will auto update.

Installing 42095 does not make a difference. Seems like every-time I plug the node in using a cat5 cable to the XT8 router the system throws a tantrum.. - initially light is white and shows up as on the backhaul 1G connection but after a minute or 2 becomes disconnected and flashes blue - Its almost as if the node tries to take over as the main XT8 router.

Thank you but Optimization only works for non backhaul connections.
I thought wired backhauls had wireless back haul as a fall back?

It does, but when I put a cat5 between the 2 it throws a fit and neither the wired or wireless work. Remove the wire and I get 5g backhaul back.

I’m gonna try a downgrade to 40295? I read lots of post that that fixed some issues (even though I hadn’t updated to begin with). Confused though on how to do it.
also see some posts that it may auto update which is worrying… maybe it did auto update and I didn’t know.

No auto update unless you opt into it. Been using the RT-AX86U, which does have a place to opt into autoupdate, but defaults to manual update. I've never had autoupdate problems with the ZenWiFi AX. It was always manual update for me, which is one reason why I got the ZenWiFi...I've been burned too many times by autoupdate *smile*.

Ok, so got it sorted.. full system hard reset and fresh set-up. Wired backhaul not works fine so fingers crossed.
Only thing I changed this time on my new install was to separate the 2.4G and 5G networks as I'd found it a pain to be separating 2.4 devices using mac address binding (Security Cams, older devices etc..)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!