What's new

Asus XT8 n Memory Useage At 85%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rjbarker

Occasional Visitor
Hi all...
So I have had my XT8 Home Mesh system set-up since early Dec.....added another single node to a twin pak, so primary node used as the Router (plugged into my Modem) and 2 nodes wireless backhaul, no issues at all has been working great.(spread out thru my large 3 story home with all devices (around 15) spread out almost evenly between them.
Have it set-up to "Auto Reboot" once per week, great speeds and consistency, no drop outs, locked my Smart TV's to the closest node etc.

Now I've been using my Plex Server in a kind of "old school" bastardized (sp) way for quite some time. In a nut shell have my Plex Server on my Mac Book and a WD 4TB External HDD (with all my media on it) plugged via USB 3 into my primary XT8 router. So the Plex Server on my Mac Book set to get the Media Library thru the Network. Not a great set-up for so many reasons I know, but it works.
Problem is if my Mac Book goes to sleep or I have it off none of my devices on my Network can access the media thru Plex, also when I check Memory usage on my XT8 Router it always indicates no less than 85% Memory usage.

So Im now planning on purchasing either the Synology DS220+ or DS720+ and a couple of NAS HDD to install my Plex Server on, then migrate all the media to the Drives.

I will still wind up with the Synology Server plugged into my XT8 Router via Ethernet cable, will this ease the burden on the RAM in the XT8? I'm assuming it will, but not sure?

Im not a Networking guru expert by no means, but understand enough to get by.

also when I check Memory usage on my XT8 Router it always indicates no less than 85% Memory usage.
This is normal and not a problem. Any unused memory will be used as disk cache to speed up response times, otherwise it's just wasted memory. Using a NAS is still a good idea though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!