What's new

Asus XT8 Slow backhaul using 5GHZ-2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zlly20

New Around Here
Hey folks, I posted the issue (I think it is an issue, but happy to be corrected) to Asus Support, but given their bad track record of service, I post my problem here to see if I can get additional help. :)

I have a twin pack of XT8. The wireless backhaul between the main router and the node is quite slow, and it is no way near the advertised speed.

I have done the following setup for my testing:
1. I attached a USB 3 drive to the node (NOT the main router).
2. move the 2 units next to each other (20 centimeters away).
3. I have a surface laptop 3 (supports WIFI 6) next to the routers too (1 meter away from the 2 units)

If I connect my laptop using a wired cable (via the 1GB port or 2.5GB WAN port) to the node and doing file transfers via SAMBA from/to the disk, the speed is around 65MB/s for both read/write, this is my baseline speed for my test to compare against.

Now the testing:

Scenario 1: I connect the laptop to the main router using Ethernet cable, and the router connects to the node via wireless backhaul using 5GHZ-2, and the 2 units are 20cm away. I can achieve around 50MB/s read from the disk to my laptop. however, I can only get 10MB/s when writing to the disk from the Laptop.
Scenario 2: I connect the laptop to the main router using an Ethernet cable, and the router connects to the node via WIRED backhaul. In this scenario, I CAN achieve both read/write at speed of 65MB/s

So clearly, when connecting the 2 units using wireless backhaul, it can not achieve the baseline speed, especially when writing files to the disk drive. I have tried to perform a hard reset on both units and reconnect them but it didn't help. I also tried to tweak a few settings for the 5GHZ-2 band, there is no improvement either (not an expert here so not sure i have tweaked the right thing).

I understand the wireless backhaul is not using 160MHZ but only using 80MHZ as far as I can tell from the wireless log (maybe due to the restriction of radio spectrum here in Australia), but still this writing speed is way too slow and not acceptable. I wonder why reading speed is a lot faster, there must be some kind of QOS going on here but I have no QOS enabled at all.

I wondering how to improve the read/write speed to make it close to the baseline speed? it is not possible to run cables in my house.

Yes, everyone has. Not a recommended way to use a router. :)

Not your router, but this is (still) the latest thoughts on USB attached router storage.

Basically, in your case, the translation from file system to USB connection to Wi-Fi transmission is just too much overhead to expect anything more than you're seeing.

This isn't a problem that has a solution except to stop using your router like that and use a file server via a proper NAS. Ignoring, of course, all the marketing claims otherwise.

Thanks for replying, but I think you are missing the point. My complaint here is the 5GHZ-2 is not performing as it should, copying files from a disk attached to the usb port is just my way of testing to show how slow the 5GHZ-2 is.

I don't intend to use the router as a NAS, but just want to see why 5GHZ-2 is a bottleneck, and the speed is too far off from what it should be.

Okay, maybe I did miss your point. :)

But then, you're testing wrong. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!