What's new

Asus xt8 wifi speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slikr

Occasional Visitor
Can someone please help. I have question about my wifi, my internet speed is 650/900mbps. How come when i do a speedtest using my asus xt8 router only mode on s22, iphone 14 pro, pad pro I only get around 250-300mbps 5-10ft away from the router. Is there something wrong? Would upgrading to xt 12 help my speed? What should i do? Thanks in advance.

Can someone please help. I have question about my wifi, my internet speed is 650/900mbps. How come when i do a speedtest using my asus xt8 router only mode on s22, iphone 14 pro, pad pro I only get around 250-300mbps 5-10ft away from the router. Is there something wrong? Would upgrading to xt 12 help my speed? What should i do? Thanks in advance.

You should be able to get up to 1Gbps download speeds on S22 and Iphone 14, from the XT8.

You don't provide a lot of specific information, so I will give you some possibilities. By 650/900 Mbps do you mean that you have 650 Mbps download and 900 Mbps upload speed?

First, you don't tell us which channel of the XT8 you are connecting. There is one 2.4 Ghz channel and two 5Ghz channels. If you are connecting to the 2.4 Ghz channel your speed will be capped around 570 Mbps. If you have XT8 with two routers, and if you are set up in AIMesh, are you using wired backhaul? Using wireless backhaul may impact your performance, too. By default, the XT8 reserves the fastest channel, the 5Ghz-2 band for wireless backhaul. However at less than a gig, this shouldn't have much an impact on S22, or Iphone 14, those both have 6 Ghz channels that should be able to connect on 5Ghz-1 at up to 1200 Mbps. Devices with wi-fi-5 will cap out on 5Ghz-1 channel at 850 Mbps. In the latest firmware, you can enable smart connect, which should make the 5Ghz-2 available during wireless backhaul. If you are wired backhaul, you can manually enable the 5Ghz-2 channel by splitting it from 5Ghz-1 channel. You can then create a new SSID for 5Ghz-2 channel and connect directly to it. The 5Ghz-2 channel has supports speeds up to 4800 Mbps.

Second, ASUS routers have many features nice features but enabling some of them may impact your speed. AI Protection, Traffic Analyzer, VPN, Parental Control, Adaptative QoS, USB applications, etc., are nice but may impact speed. Are you running your speed test with any of these features turned on? If you are, you can try to turning these off and running your speed test again. After you turn off these features, you can run speed test directly from the router. If you go to the Adapative QoS, then go to the Internet Speed tab, then you can get your internet speed directly to the router.

Third, how many clients are connected to your network and are they using part of your bandwidth? If you have a lot of clients and they are all running, it will have an impact on your speed. If you want a true test, you want to try to isolate your test device.

Fourth, how are you running speed test on your devices? Are you running a service such as Ookla (speedest.net), Comcast, AT&T tests? Are you choosing the server nearest to your location? The location of the server can have an impact on the speed test.

Fifth, you state you're 5-10 feet away from your router - what are the speeds at the router? Is the 5-10 feet in direct sight of the router or are there doors and walls in the way? Doors and walls will have an impact on the speed.

Let me know the answers to the above, and we can see if we can track down the issue.

Wow. Well said. I'd like to add-to/modify the part:
you can enable smart connect, which should make the 5Ghz-2 available during wireless backhaul.
There's no need to enable smart connect if it had been previously opted out of. I'd merely assign 5-2 a suitable SSID and unhide it. You can leave it earmarked as a "dedicated backhaul" to exclude it from smart connect while that's on for the SOC radios. I've run it exactly like that to great success, albeit with wired backhaul but not selected as such.

You should be able to get up to 1Gbps download speeds on S22 and Iphone 14, from the XT8.

You don't provide a lot of specific information, so I will give you some possibilities. By 650/900 Mbps do you mean that you have 650 Mbps download and 900 Mbps upload speed?

First, you don't tell us which channel of the XT8 you are connecting. There is one 2.4 Ghz channel and two 5Ghz channels. If you are connecting to the 2.4 Ghz channel your speed will be capped around 570 Mbps. If you have XT8 with two routers, and if you are set up in AIMesh, are you using wired backhaul? Using wireless backhaul may impact your performance, too. By default, the XT8 reserves the fastest channel, the 5Ghz-2 band for wireless backhaul. However at less than a gig, this shouldn't have much an impact on S22, or Iphone 14, those both have 6 Ghz channels that should be able to connect on 5Ghz-1 at up to 1200 Mbps. Devices with wi-fi-5 will cap out on 5Ghz-1 channel at 850 Mbps. In the latest firmware, you can enable smart connect, which should make the 5Ghz-2 available during wireless backhaul. If you are wired backhaul, you can manually enable the 5Ghz-2 channel by splitting it from 5Ghz-1 channel. You can then create a new SSID for 5Ghz-2 channel and connect directly to it. The 5Ghz-2 channel has supports speeds up to 4800 Mbps.

Second, ASUS routers have many features nice features but enabling some of them may impact your speed. AI Protection, Traffic Analyzer, VPN, Parental Control, Adaptative QoS, USB applications, etc., are nice but may impact speed. Are you running your speed test with any of these features turned on? If you are, you can try to turning these off and running your speed test again. After you turn off these features, you can run speed test directly from the router. If you go to the Adapative QoS, then go to the Internet Speed tab, then you can get your internet speed directly to the router.

Third, how many clients are connected to your network and are they using part of your bandwidth? If you have a lot of clients and they are all running, it will have an impact on your speed. If you want a true test, you want to try to isolate your test device.

Fourth, how are you running speed test on your devices? Are you running a service such as Ookla (speedest.net), Comcast, AT&T tests? Are you choosing the server nearest to your location? The location of the server can have an impact on the speed test.

Fifth, you state you're 5-10 feet away from your router - what are the speeds at the router? Is the 5-10 feet in direct sight of the router or are there doors and walls in the way? Doors and walls will have an impact on the speed.

Let me know the answers to the above, and we can see if we can track down the issue.

650/900mbps is the speedtest i get on the asus app and asus speedtest page. I tried every possible settings changes still same speed max im getting with my s22 is 400mbps 5-10 feet away with direct line of sight to the router. Using my laptop connected to the lan port 1 of my xt8 Im getting 600+mbps speeds using speedtest and fast.com. I have 3 units of xt8 setup as router only and no other device connected getting on 400+mbps speeds on wifi. Im ready to throw away my asus xt8. BTW my mesh unit before this is a Netgear Orbi RBK50 which actually is performing better than the xt8. Maybe the problem is my isp.

If you ultimately decide to get rid of the XT8s, make me an offer. Mine have been rock solid on GNUTon's Merlin fork. Let me see... uptime 86 11:48.

650/900mbps is the speedtest i get on the asus app and asus speedtest page. I tried every possible settings changes still same speed max im getting with my s22 is 400mbps 5-10 feet away with direct line of sight to the router. Using my laptop connected to the lan port 1 of my xt8 Im getting 600+mbps speeds using speedtest and fast.com. I have 3 units of xt8 setup as router only and no other device connected getting on 400+mbps speeds on wifi. Im ready to throw away my asus xt8. BTW my mesh unit before this is a Netgear Orbi RBK50 which actually is performing better than the xt8. Maybe the problem is my isp.
OK, this is good information. If the asus speedtest page, states you're getting 650/900 Mbps, then we know it's an issue with the wifi setup. The first thing I'd suggest is to isolate the problem.

1. If you have 3 XT8 units, turn off all units. Power the unit connected to the modem on. Leave the other 2 units off.
2. Ensure 5Ghz-2 channel is set up. This is the channel with the greatest bandwidth. If you do not have 5Ghz-2 set up do the following:
Check the following settings in your wireless settings:
a. Wireless Tab - General - Enable Smart Connect - Button should be Off
Separate 2.4 Ghz band and 5ghz band - after you separate the bands
You should have 3 bands, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and 5Ghz-2
Create three separate SSIDs, Test 2.4, Test 5-1 and Test 5-2, respectively
Manually select a control channel for each band
Ensure the 20/40/80/160 is available for Test 5-2
3. If you have any of the following turned on, disable them for the test:
a. Adaptive QOS - Bandwidth Monitor, QOS, WebHistoy
b. AI Protection - Off
c. Traffic Analyzer - Off
4. Connect your S22 to the Test 5-2 (don't connect any other devices).
5. Connect to Speedtest.net and run your test connecting to the closest servers and using different servers.
Run the speedtest next to the router and then run a second test 5-10 feet away.
6. If you don't get expected speeds, I'd try a different control channel for Test 5-2. You can try a few different control channels, to isolate for interference.
7. If that doesn't resolve the problem, you can also try a different wireless client,. e.g., iPhone 14.

If you see numbers around 550/800 on Test 5-2, then you can power up one of the nodes. You didn't state whether you are using ethernet backhaul or wireless backhaul. Also, you didn't state how you have the nodes set up, whether they set up as AP, AI Mesh, Repeater. If you have it set up as Repeater, you will only get speeds around 300-400/350-450 Mbps. If you are getting 550/800+ with just the router, let me know how you have the second and third units configured (ethernet backhaul/wireless backhaul and AI Mesh/AP/Repeater).

Last edited:
I always use 1 unit to test. I connect to the nodes using wireless backhaul. As per your instructions I tested my speed using 5ghz-2 Im still getting 300-400Mbps using my laptop and my s22 and iphone. I guess the problem is has something to do with my isp modem but my xt8 is bridged. Also I bought an Asus XT12 and did some speed test same results no improvement. I give up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!