What's new

ASUS XT8 : wireless vs wired speed on node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thegios

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have just bought two XT8, with following setup:
  • - I have FTTH at home, modem provided by ISP, laptop connected via cable on the fibre modem can reach 900 in download
  • - I switched off the WiFi on the modem
  • - I connected unit 1 /the ROUTER) to the modem via cable from WAN port on the XT8 to a LAN port on the modem
  • - Unit 2 (the NODE) is connected to the ROUTER via wireless backbone, connection quality GREAT
  • - Single SSID
  • - Devices connected:
    • Nvidia Shield TV via cable directly to the modem
    • Marantz Av Receiver via cable directly to the modem
    • Stellite box via cable directly to the modem
    • Google Nest Thermostat: this always connects to the ROUTER via wifi 2.4
    • Amazon Firestick: this always connects to the ROUTER (EVEN IF IT'S IN ANOTHER ROOM AND IT'S THE FARTHEST DEVICE FROM THE ROUTER) via wifi 2.4 (NOT SURE WHY NOT 5!!!)
    • Security webcam: this always connects to the NODE via wifi 5
    • Google smart speaker: this always connects to the NODE via wifi 5
    • Three smartphone: they connect via wifi 5 on either ROUTER or NODE depending on where they are
    • Laptop: this always connects to the NODE via wifi 5
    • desktop: this is connected via cable on the WAN port of the NODE
Question 1: is it ok to connect ROUTEr to MODEM using the ROUTER's WAN port, or should I use a LAN port?
Question 2: is it ok too connect the desktop to the NODE's WAN port , or should I use a LAN port?
Question 3 (THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE): on the firs day I measured 890 in download for the wired desktop and 650 for the wirelles laptop, but two days after I am measuring 560 for both, and I am a little disappointed since the wired desktop should be faster than the wireless laptop, any idea why?

Thx for the support and let me know if you need additional info to give me support :)

Amazon Firestick: this always connects to the ROUTER (EVEN IF IT'S IN ANOTHER ROOM AND IT'S THE FARTHEST DEVICE FROM THE ROUTER) via wifi 2.4 (NOT SURE WHY NOT 5!!!)

Can't really answer any of these comments about which clients connect to what without a better understanding of your physical layout. The clients will connect to whatever they see as the strongest signal. You might have better luck if you reduce the APs' transmit power, but that's just a guess that could be all wrong.

Question 1: is it ok to connect ROUTEr to MODEM using the ROUTER's WAN port, or should I use a LAN port?
Yes, you'd better do it like you have it. The router's firewall rules are set up on the assumption that your WAN port is your external connection. You risk serious security problems if you plug the modem into a LAN port (if indeed that works at all).
Question 2: is it ok too connect the desktop to the NODE's WAN port , or should I use a LAN port?
On the node it shouldn't matter which port you use.
Question 3 (THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE): on the firs day I measured 890 in download for the wired desktop and 650 for the wirelles laptop, but two days after I am measuring 560 for both, and I am a little disappointed since the wired desktop should be faster than the wireless laptop, any idea why?
You didn't say how you're measuring that. If it's something like speedtest.net, this sort of variability is par for the course in my experience, depending on which server you're connecting to. Some of them seem barely able to keep up with Gbps-level clients, so that it matters how many other people are using the server at the same time. Try it on different days/different times of day.

Since you saw the same performance change on your wired desktop machine, it's not your wifi that's at fault here; but unless you have no wifi-using neighbors, day-to-day variability in wifi performance is an expectable thing too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!