What's new

Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 Wireless vs Wired Backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetworkN00b

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering if any of you all have tried both versions of the backhaul. I used MoCa to do wired backhaul to be more efficient for some rooms that weren't getting great signal, and found that my network was slower overall that way than when using the wireless backhaul.

Understandably very unscientific way of measuring it (I would need to plug into the moca adapter to test the speed that's going through the wired backhaul, but thanks to Apple's wise move to USB-C no one has an ethernet connection in their laptops here at the house), but for some unknown reason, I can't get over 250Mbps on the wired connection, while I can get up to 450 on a node that is wirelessly connected back to the router.

I was wondering if any of you all have tried both versions of the backhaul. I used MoCa to do wired backhaul to be more efficient for some rooms that weren't getting great signal, and found that my network was slower overall that way than when using the wireless backhaul.

Understandably very unscientific way of measuring it (I would need to plug into the moca adapter to test the speed that's going through the wired backhaul, but thanks to Apple's wise move to USB-C no one has an ethernet connection in their laptops here at the house), but for some unknown reason, I can't get over 250Mbps on the wired connection, while I can get up to 450 on a node that is wirelessly connected back to the router.

I’ve used both wireless and wired backhaul. In my experience the wireless backhaul was almost as fast as Ethernet. On Ethernet backhaul the maximum speed I’ve seen on WiFi sweet spots was 800mbps, sustained. On wireless backhaul the fastest I saw was 650mbps.

As for the low speeds you’re seeing... this is going to sound dumb... but flip the switch off and on again on both nodes. Closest node first. I find it takes a few hard reboots to “settle in” on the right channels. Many many times while fiddling with settings I found my speed to be 100mbps but after a few flips of the power switch it’s back to 700-800mbps where it usually sits. ASUS routers are finicky like that. Once they get into a groove they usually stay there in my experience.

Also, don’t use Smart Connect. It will give you the bandwidth IT thinks you should be getting based on your current internet use. So if you’re not downloading videos or something, it is going to put you on a slower band. I prefer having 3 separate SSIDs. This way I always get the fastest download speed at any given time and location in my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: