What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 (XT8) loosing connection only on laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moeyki

New Around Here
This is my setup:
2 ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 nodes in AP mode with split SSID for the 2.4 and 5GHz channels (was a requirement to be able to connect my SONOS One SL), connected directly to my ISP modem/router.
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_21099.

All devices are able to connect without issues to both nodes, except strange behavior on my laptop: MSI Apache GE72 2QC with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 WiFi card.
(latest firmware for the WiFi card is installed)
The laptop is able to connect to the WiFi on both channels, but I'm not able to reach any other device connected to the same ZenWiFi node: so neither to the gateway (ISP modem/router) and Internet.
The only connection I can make from the laptop is to the ZenWiFi portal.

Here is the strange behavior: whenever I make a change in the Wireless settings of the ASUS (for example change the channel bandwidth), there is briefly a connection to all other devices and internet.
The laptop stays connected for a random while before disconnecting again (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a minutes, sometimes several minutes).

Already did a factory reset of the ASUS ZenWiFi, removed the WiFi card from device manager and reinstall, tried with older drivers, ...

The laptop connected fine with my previous AP (that was provided by the ISP, so not much information about it).

I'm not sure if there is a setting that should be changed in the ASUS ZenWiFi, my laptop, the laptop's network card is simply incompatible, ...

Any ideas are welcome.
If I can't solve it, I'm considering to return the ASUS nodes (still within 30 days of purchase).

This is my setup:
2 ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 nodes in AP mode with split SSID for the 2.4 and 5GHz channels (was a requirement to be able to connect my SONOS One SL), connected directly to my ISP modem/router.
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_21099.

All devices are able to connect without issues to both nodes, except strange behavior on my laptop: MSI Apache GE72 2QC with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 WiFi card.
(latest firmware for the WiFi card is installed)
The laptop is able to connect to the WiFi on both channels, but I'm not able to reach any other device connected to the same ZenWiFi node: so neither to the gateway (ISP modem/router) and Internet.
The only connection I can make from the laptop is to the ZenWiFi portal.

Here is the strange behavior: whenever I make a change in the Wireless settings of the ASUS (for example change the channel bandwidth), there is briefly a connection to all other devices and internet.
The laptop stays connected for a random while before disconnecting again (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a minutes, sometimes several minutes).

Already did a factory reset of the ASUS ZenWiFi, removed the WiFi card from device manager and reinstall, tried with older drivers, ...

The laptop connected fine with my previous AP (that was provided by the ISP, so not much information about it).

I'm not sure if there is a setting that should be changed in the ASUS ZenWiFi, my laptop, the laptop's network card is simply incompatible, ...

Any ideas are welcome.
If I can't solve it, I'm considering to return the ASUS nodes (still within 30 days of purchase).

Try disabling Universal Beamforming per band.

Try excluding DFS control channels.

Try using WPA2 authentication only.

Try disabling WiFi6/AX mode.

Your laptop adapter is of 2013... it might be cheaper to replace it, or disable it and add a USB adaper with more/2 antennas/streams for a better link rate.

OE

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunatly didn't solve the issue.
I'll review the ASUS routers another week, and if no issues with other devices, I'll get a new WiFi card for my laptop (Intel AX200 seems to be a good and cheap alternative).

Just installed the new Intel AX200 WiFi card, same issue: I can connect to the WiFi network of the asus AP, but no connection to other devices or internet.
Connection to another WiFi(for example mobile hotspot) is working fine...

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunatly didn't solve the issue.
I'll review the ASUS routers another week, and if no issues with other devices, I'll get a new WiFi card for my laptop (Intel AX200 seems to be a good and cheap alternative).
I jsut installed some new XT9's and seein the same issue you are. My laptop is a ThinkPad P43s (2019) running W11 Pro. What is strange is I have a Thinkpad X201 (2010) W10 Pro that does not experience this issue. In fact making adjustments to the router from the X210, the P43s will go offlne but the X210 does not. The WIFI ard on the P43s is and Intel AC9560 with the latest drivers. I am stumped.

Did you resolve your issue?

I jsut installed some new XT9's and seein the same issue you are. My laptop is a ThinkPad P43s (2019) running W11 Pro. What is strange is I have a Thinkpad X201 (2010) W10 Pro that does not experience this issue. In fact making adjustments to the router from the X210, the P43s will go offlne but the X210 does not. The WIFI ard on the P43s is and Intel AC9560 with the latest drivers. I am stumped.

Did you resolve your issue?
As I see it then, in your case the ac9560 wifi card is not compatible with ax wifi, and in the P43s is not upgradable. The only way is to either disable the ax functionality of the router or buy an AX compatible usb wifi card.

Last edited:
In a special insert in the packaging ASUS recommded a driver update, which I have exceeded. However, in line with what you said, on the Intel site, they lists cards compatible with WIFI 6 and 6E. They use the words currently compatible. Not sure if its forced obsolescence but my card was not listed. Sorry I dont have the links nor the PDF link to the ASUS handout but its online if you Google both topics.

When I described the disconects I was on the 5Ghz band. After switching to the 2.4Ghz band I can see the connection stop but recover quickly, unlike the 5Ghz. It could be a channel issue with 5Ghz. My 10 year old X201 W10 Pro with an Intel card exhibits none of these issues. Do you know why?

The other thing I noticed is my Bluetooh earbuds connected to a watch connected to the node mad ethe backhaul signal strenght weak. Turned green. BT turned off and the light is white again. Any idea?

Folks I ended up disabling the AX funtionality in the XT9's and no more drop outs. Ripshod is also right. The P43s WIFI card is soldered so whereas it would be an easy cheap upgrade, it ain't possible for me. For those looking into this, the P52s and T480 are upgradeable.

In summary AX will work with the AC9560 and you will get fast throughput but at the expense of losing your Internet connection randomly.
ASUS should not put that insert in the box. I dont have it in front of me but it was dated maybe mid-2022. Its disinginous for them to imply the Intel 9000 series of cards would work. But they also shoot themselves in the foot because all the complaints about instability are probably from folks not using an AX wifi card. So in the end they get product returns and bad reviews among people who dont have the patience to sort this out.

Eventually I will get an AX laptop so this was a pricier than necessary futureproofing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!