What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 really bad lag

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eljay451

New Around Here
I'm seeing latency in the 7000 - 8000 ms range. Web pages stall out, like Facebook or Gmail. Any kind of game is unplayable.

What is the best way to tweak the settings to get rid of the lag?

Odd thing is, 5 days ago it did not have this lag problem. Seemed to have come on suddenly.

Tried some silly things, like only using 5GHz bands, and disabled SmartConnect. Without any noticeable effect.

Swapping out to a different wifi (one that I'd rather not use, because it doesn't have enough range for coverage of the house) there's no lag problem. Or CAT5 right into the cablemodem, likewise (as expected) no lag problem.

Problems like this are often MTU related, resulting in fragmentation.

This looks promising, thank you eibgrad!

I set my MTU to 1400 on my computer, and my ping times are no longer dropping packets. (Note there is 28 byte overhead for ping itself, so 1372+28 = 1400 bytes, my current maximum MTU threshold. (-c 2 means "two tries", -D means "don't break up packets", -s 1372 means "payload of 1372 bytes".)

ping -c 2 -D -s 1372 example.com

Now I just got to figure how to set the MTU on my ASUS ZenWifi AX6600 (XT8) and that should fix the problem on all my devices.

1400 is probably too low, so I'm likely leaving some headroom on the table. But my frustration level is quite high, so I'm going to leave it there for a while is see how it works out.

Were you able to change the MTU size on your ASUS ZenWifi AX6600 (XT8)? Please share if you discovered how to change this in the settings for the router.