What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi CT8 - how can I make a device connect to the secondary router rather than the main router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hodgepodge

New Around Here
A computer on the second floor insists on shifting to the main router (on the first floor) rather than the secondary router (in the adjoining second floor room). When I reboot the computer, it goes to the nearby router and streams fine. But after a few minutes it switches to the 1st floor router, after which it stops streaming and the computer says it has no Internet connection. Is there a way to force the computer onto the 2nd floor router? Or do I need to move the secondary router to the same room as the computer and do an ethernet connection between them?

If a wired connection is possible. Stop wasting your time. :)

Is it necessary to move the router to wire it up?

would have to pass a wire through the hallway to link the rooms, or drill through the wall between the rooms to pass it, which would be messy.
I'm hoping that there is a setting in the App that I can give that makes the computer connect to the ip number of the router in the next room rather than letting it decide which router to connect to.

1 drill, 1 1", 10" long drill bit. A couple of passes with a vacuum and a couple of wall plates to make it look 'finished'. What's messy? Fast and much more satisfying than relying on Wi-Fi, always. :)

A computer on the second floor insists on shifting to the main router (on the first floor) rather than the secondary router (in the adjoining second floor room). When I reboot the computer, it goes to the nearby router and streams fine. But after a few minutes it switches to the 1st floor router, after which it stops streaming and the computer says it has no Internet connection. Is there a way to force the computer onto the 2nd floor router? Or do I need to move the secondary router to the same room as the computer and do an ethernet connection between them?

Maybe moving things about a bit would improve signal path/quality/reception and/or reduce signal interference.

OE

Your comments got me to look more carefully at the room: the problem was that the room has a solid 3 tall bookcases on it, and they were blocking a wi-fi signal - and they made drilling a hole through the wall impossible too. Solution: I've now put the second router on top of one of those bookcases - it gets a strong signal from the 1st floor router, and it is sending a strong signal to all the 2nd floor devices. Some year we'll remove some a couple of those bookcases, but not yet.

Your comments got me to look more carefully at the room: the problem was that the room has a solid 3 tall bookcases on it, and they were blocking a wi-fi signal - and they made drilling a hole through the wall impossible too. Solution: I've now put the second router on top of one of those bookcases - it gets a strong signal from the 1st floor router, and it is sending a strong signal to all the 2nd floor devices. Some year we'll remove some a couple of those bookcases, but not yet.

Good move! WiFi setup should include a site survey... even if we don't know what all that might mean or have good tools for it... we should pause and consider it as best we can starting with high, central, and in the clear.

Books blocking WiFi... I like the metaphor!

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!