What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi XT12 or ET12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so I'm looking into the ET8s for that clean 4x4 6 GHz band...
Don't disconsider the XT9s, the new "commercial" version of the same, or even the ROG version (kinda looks like the XT8s but seems to have radios more like the E/XT12s). In my book the XT8s currently offer the most bang for the buck, though.

Hi all
to all the et12 users, that the ET12 works great for, what firmware are you on?
I am returning my ORBI 963, the 963 is just JUNK the ORBI 50 was absolutely perfect.
After reading lots of positive results on the ET12, I thought I would give it shot (going to give it wired backhaul, mocha 2.5ghz motorola devices) I would rather have the 6ghz than 2 5ghz

thanks all!!

I have some doubt on both the XT12 and the ET12.

Maybe I'm kidnapping this thread but at least the subject line is the same.

10 weeks ago a nearby IT place had a short sale on XT12 Pros. About $700 for a pair of them. So with some hesitation, I bought them. In retrospect, I actually regret that I fell for the offer. I could just have kept the RT-AX88U for another couple of years waiting for Wifi 7.

I had high expectations: 2.5 GHz network ports, additional wifi bands, good performance, Merlin support.

However the truth was something else: The 2.5 GHz ports are OK, they work fine. But performance? I don't notice much difference from the RT-AX88U I used to have. The additional wifi bands? They are not available in Europe! ASUS will not make them available here even if they have been free for a couple of years now.

After lengthy discussions with the place where I got them, they agreed that I can return them and get something else - but of course I will have to pay if it's more than $700.

The problem is that my impression is that Wifi 6E seems to be just a gap-filler waiting for Wifi 7. So I really don't want to pay even more for a pair of ET12s.

What should I do? Keep the XT12s? Replace them with ET12s? Replace them with a GT-AX11000 and something else with a 2.5 GHz WAN port? Or some other combo?

For your info, I live in a L-shaped house with the router placed at the top of the I part, one AP (the other XT12) at the end of the __ part and the last AP where the lines cross. After some fiddling with channels, signal strengths and settings it works very well. I get above 250 Mbps everywhere in the house. Roaming between the nodes works very well too.

I can always sell my old RT-AX88U for say $200 and my old RT-AX92U (used to be an AP) for say $100. In the end, this will mean that I actually paid $400 for a pair of XT12's.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
If the XT12s are working fine in your environment, and at a final cost of $400, I would keep them. Unless you can return outright, for a full refund today. Either way, you should be able to sell them for at least that cost (with a bit of luck) when WiFi 7 products become worth buying, if not more with inflation being what it is today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!